“Happy with our stay”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Wisconsin
“Happy with our stay”
Reviewed 2 May 2012

We were happy with our stay & would definitely come back! The hotel is a good location right off of Michigan Ave, along Riverwalk, with views of Navy Pier from some rooms. We stayed for 3 nights & all staff we encountered were friendly & helpful, which is amazing for such a big hotel. People at front desk accommodated all of our needs, were friendly & patient. The concierge was knowledgeable & very helpful in directions, reservations, and advice. Valet parking was quick & less stressful than other Chicago hotels because of being off Michigan Ave and because there is a small parking area in front of hotel. The rooms are average but two of the three rooms that our group had had great views of the river and/or Navy Pier. We really enjoyed visiting BIG Bar & O'S Pub- both which are right in the hotel. One downside is the daily charge for wi-fi.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
JenniferKedinger, Manager at Hyatt Regency Chicago, responded to this review, 23 May 2012
It's great to hear that our downtown Chicago location right off of Michigan Ave, along the Chicago River suited your stay at Hyatt Regency Chicago. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor. Upon your return join us on Facebook to save on Wi-Fi. Ask us about our Word of the Week. Looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,354)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 1 May 2012

This was my 3rd visit to the hotel for business. I used priceline to get a great deal most recently.
Self-parked which left a maze to get back to hotel. Felt I needed to leave some bread crumbs to find my way back!
Used the convenient self-serve kiosk near the check-in counters to check-in and get key.
Pros: comfortable bed. last trip gave me a great view of the river/wrigley building.
Cons: felt compelled to write a review this time due to my less-than clean room. I found several stray hairs in the bathroom and on bed linens. The toilet, sadly, was not fully cleaned either.

Overall: prefer to stay somewhere else during next visit.

Room Tip: loved my view of the wrigley building and river!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Nashotah, Wisconsin
Reviewed 1 May 2012

I stayed at the Hyatt for a week on business and it was such a great experience. From the moment you pull up you are greeted by friendly doormen and walk into an open lobby/restaurant area with water and plant-life. What really makes this place great is the staff. Nataly was my friendly front desk person and she was so helpful and explained everything thoroughly and without getting impatient or annoyed, which I've experienced before. I had a corner room on the 20-something floor and what a great view of the city!

Being there for a week on business, all I wanted to do was come home and crash, but the energy in this hotel makes you want to go stop at the "Big" bar for a evening drink. The prices are a bit high, but that's expected staying downtown Chicago at a big name hotel. They do have reasonable dry-cleaning as I only paid $10 for a winter jacket and another $10 for a few boxers and socks.

I would definitely recommend this hotel for business or pleasure. A quick walk to several great restaurants, bars and shops!

Room Tip: Top floors are always my choice. The corner room was very spacious with a great view! I was in the m...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Thank you so much for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor and for choosing to stay at Hyatt Regency Chicago. We are so happy to read that you found the service to be so complimentary of your stay. I passed along your lovely comments regarding Nataly. Her supervisor was very pleased to see your mention of her. Thanks for your recommend for both business and pleasure trips to downtown Chicago. We really look forward to welcoming you back.
New York
Reviewed 1 May 2012

The hotel is in a good location right on the river, near all of Chicago's main attractions. The hotel is gigantic and a little confusing at first because there are two separate buildings. They were able to accommodate an early check-in without a fee which was very nice. The room is nicely renovated, but the ceilings are not very tall. We could hear our neighbors next door; walls are thin.The gym is nice; excellent machines, and very large for a hotel gym. The restaurant had an excellent breakfast buffet not included in the room fee, it had everything you could ever want (eggs, omelets, pancakes, fresh fruit, muffins, pastries, and healthy options). The staff was friendly and accommodating but you must pay for internet, even in the lobby (such a bummer). the only negative experience was during a call to the hotel operator for some information and items requests. she was not friendly and very short. the items did arrive quickly though. and personally, i think the shampoo and other bathroom supplies smell cheap, but that is nitpicking. The hotel is really nice, and we would come back.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Derek S
Brown Deer, Wisconsin
Reviewed 30 April 2012

I don't want to reiterate too much of what others have said, but just touch briefly on some pros and cons to this location.

Pros:
- Great location, right by Michigan Ave/Magnificent Mile, Millenium Park, and just a few miles from Shedd Aquarium/Adler Planetarium/Field Museum
- Nice views from higher floors
- Spacious lobbies with multiple bars, food joints, and a small mall within a short indoor walking distance
- Bathroom showers are nice and spacious
- 24-hour fitness location
- Friendly and helpful staff

Cons:
- Internet is $10/night (I have to take off a star for this alone, even the cheapest of cheap hotels tend to have free wi-fi or hard-line ethernet!)
- Elevators can be woefully inadequate and cause 5-10 minute wait times, though in fairness I was here during a huge conference
- Layout is a bit confusing and the maps provided aren't the most helpful
- No room amenities, at least not in my room, which I paid over $250/night for after taxes (especially compared to the Comfort Inn & Suites around the corner, which had much better rooms for much lower prices)
- No pool or spa, though there are some expensive spas in the Illinois Center mall area
- Rooms are small and cramped for just two people

My parents had to stay around the corner and told me what price they paid and the amenities they had in-room. I would much rather have stayed there and walked for my conference needs, as it takes no more than 3-5 minutes to get from one hotel to the other.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business