“Very nice hotel in perfect location”

Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront
Ranked #65 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I had never heard of Hotel 71 so when I had to make a decision about where to stay, I relied on my friend's advice and the reviews I read on tripadvisor and elsewhere and all of them proved to be true.
This is indeed a very nice hotel, very reasonably priced, friendly staff and prefect location. We could walk to most major sites of Chicago and stations for public transportation were just around the corner.
Rooms were very spacious and clean. As other reviewers have mentioned, we had originally booked a room with a King bed and city view but when we arrived, we asked to upgrade to a room with two queen beds and a river view on higher floors and the friendly staff cordially accommodated us with no extra charge. The room had a wonderful view of the river and the surrounding buildings.
We had a late night incident with a noisy neighbor and when we called the front desk, they immediately took care of it. Will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for upgrades to higher floors and view of the river.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront

Reviewed 15 April 2012

My husband and I stayed here for our first trip to Chicago. The hotel is located in the perfect downtown location. The view from our room was beautiful. The front desk staff was very friendly and always greeted us with smiles. Would definitely stay here again. Great value.

• Stayed: April 2012
4  Thank lindasatch
Reviewed 13 April 2012

I have stayed at Hotel 71 countless times and continue to be impressed by the amazing service, attention to detail, and the lengths employees go to here at the hotel to make sure their guests' needs and expectations are being exceeded! The staff here is absolutely amazing - from the front door to the managers, and everyone in between. They all care and it shows in the service they provide. Hotel 71 is a great place to stay when in Chicago! I've stayed at several other hotels in town, and none compare with the personalized approach taken here at Hotel 71 - they really know how to make you feel special and at home. Ask for a River View room - it's worth every penny!!! One of the best, if not the best, views in the city.

Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank Thomas T
sshern, General Manager at Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2012

Comments like your make my day. Every staff member is committed to providing guests, such as you, with a unique hotel experience. So when I receive a review like yours, I pass it onto my team to remind them of the power of demonstrating personal hospitality and kindness. Although we completed a $20 million renovation at the end of 2011, I believe the team we have in place is what makes the difference between us and other hotels.

Of course, I can't end my response without addressing your opinion of the view from one of our guestrooms. It's amazing, isn't it? It must be the reason so many movies and television shows (filmed in Chicago) highlight this spectacular view.

Again...thank you for your comments. I really appreciate them.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel 71 in the very near future!

All the best,
Steve Shern

Reviewed 11 April 2012

Paid a good rate directly with hotel. Nice room that seems converted from a small studio apt. Room had a nook for no particular purpose, a nice window couch and decent view of city skyscrapers. Check in was quick and friendly.
Parking for 49.00 is horrible so check out the neighborhood to find a lot yourself. Bagel shop on the corner at Michigan is a good alternative to hotel breakfast. I was here only one night but you cannot beat the location and cost, sans valet parking.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank JES006

I was delighted to read your comments about Hotel 71. As you experienced, our rooms are some of the largest in the city. What you may not know is that, at one time, our guestrooms had balconies. A decision was made to enclose the balconies and expand the room size. The result was unique nooks and alcoves were created in the rooms.

As you properly noted, Chicago city parking prices are somewhat high. Our overnight parking price of $49 is competitive with neighborhood hotels and includes unlimited in and out privileges.

I'm glad you were able to find the bagel shop on the corner of Michigan Avenue and hope you stop in Hoyt's, our restaurant, for breakfast, the next time you are in Chicago. You can pick up a bagel, cream cream and coffee for $6 (excluding tax and gratuities) without having to leave the building--a great option if you're pressed for time.

Again...thank you for your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back as our guest in the near future.

All the best,
SteveShern

Reviewed 8 April 2012

My wife and I had a couple of free days in Chicago and we chose the 71 for its unique position on a bend of the river that gives you a fantastic view, as if you were in the middle of a bridge. Suffice it to say that we left the curtains open day and night, and we took many beautiful pictures fro our window.
Apart for the view, the hotel is conveniently positioned between the Loop and the Magnificent Mile, everything is within walking distance.
Our room on the 17th floor was very spacious, almost a suite, and beautifully furnished. We only missed an in-room safe. Wi-Fi access was free of charge. Bathroom also spacious and elegant (shower, no bathtub), with pleasant orange.flavored toiletries.
Breakfast (not included in our package) at Hoyt's was excellent. No buffet, everything was cooked to order. We went for breakfast as they opened (6.30 am), and everything was reasonably fast.
In Chicago you can certainly see beautiful views from the celebrated skyscrapers, but I must admit that the river view from our room was unbeatable. We will certainly chose the 71 again for our next stay in Chicago.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with river view.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple