“First trip to Chicago. Excellent location !” 5 of 5 bubbles

Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront
Ranked #62 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
atlanta
“First trip to Chicago. Excellent location !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

My husband and I stayed here for our first trip to Chicago. The hotel is located in the perfect downtown location. The view from our room was beautiful. The front desk staff was very friendly and always greeted us with smiles. Would definitely stay here again. Great value.

• Stayed April 2012
4 Thank lindasatch
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (723)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012 via mobile

I have stayed at Hotel 71 countless times and continue to be impressed by the amazing service, attention to detail, and the lengths employees go to here at the hotel to make sure their guests' needs and expectations are being exceeded! The staff here is absolutely amazing - from the front door to the managers, and everyone in between. They all care and it shows in the service they provide. Hotel 71 is a great place to stay when in Chicago! I've stayed at several other hotels in town, and none compare with the personalized approach taken here at Hotel 71 - they really know how to make you feel special and at home. Ask for a River View room - it's worth every penny!!! One of the best, if not the best, views in the city.

Stayed April 2012
2 Thank Thomas T
sshern, General Manager at Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
Comments like your make my day. Every staff member is committed to providing guests, such as you, with a unique hotel experience. So when I receive a review like yours, I pass it onto my team to remind them of the power of demonstrating personal hospitality and kindness. Although we completed a $20 million renovation at the end of 2011, I believe the team we have in place is what makes the difference between us and other hotels.

Of course, I can't end my response without addressing your opinion of the view from one of our guestrooms. It's amazing, isn't it? It must be the reason so many movies and television shows (filmed in Chicago) highlight this spectacular view.

Again...thank you for your comments. I really appreciate them.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel 71 in the very near future!

All the best,
Steve Shern
St Louis, MO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

Paid a good rate directly with hotel. Nice room that seems converted from a small studio apt. Room had a nook for no particular purpose, a nice window couch and decent view of city skyscrapers. Check in was quick and friendly.
Parking for 49.00 is horrible so check out the neighborhood to find a lot yourself. Bagel shop on the corner at Michigan is a good alternative to hotel breakfast. I was here only one night but you cannot beat the location and cost, sans valet parking.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank JES006
I was delighted to read your comments about Hotel 71. As you experienced, our rooms are some of the largest in the city. What you may not know is that, at one time, our guestrooms had balconies. A decision was made to enclose the balconies and expand the room size. The result was unique nooks and alcoves were created in the rooms.

As you properly noted, Chicago city parking prices are somewhat high. Our overnight parking price of $49 is competitive with neighborhood hotels and includes unlimited in and out privileges.

I'm glad you were able to find the bagel shop on the corner of Michigan Avenue and hope you stop in Hoyt's, our restaurant, for breakfast, the next time you are in Chicago. You can pick up a bagel, cream cream and coffee for $6 (excluding tax and gratuities) without having to leave the building--a great option if you're pressed for time.

Again...thank you for your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back as our guest in the near future.

All the best,
SteveShern
Bologna, Italia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

My wife and I had a couple of free days in Chicago and we chose the 71 for its unique position on a bend of the river that gives you a fantastic view, as if you were in the middle of a bridge. Suffice it to say that we left the curtains open day and night, and we took many beautiful pictures fro our window.
Apart for the view, the hotel is conveniently positioned between the Loop and the Magnificent Mile, everything is within walking distance.
Our room on the 17th floor was very spacious, almost a suite, and beautifully furnished. We only missed an in-room safe. Wi-Fi access was free of charge. Bathroom also spacious and elegant (shower, no bathtub), with pleasant orange.flavored toiletries.
Breakfast (not included in our package) at Hoyt's was excellent. No buffet, everything was cooked to order. We went for breakfast as they opened (6.30 am), and everything was reasonably fast.
In Chicago you can certainly see beautiful views from the celebrated skyscrapers, but I must admit that the river view from our room was unbeatable. We will certainly chose the 71 again for our next stay in Chicago.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with river view.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ChooseyItalians
Little Rock Arkansas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

I want to be fair and accurate about my first few hours at Hotel 71. We booked 5 nights at this hotel for a 5 night get away. It is no secret that Hotels make their money on the business traveler - including me. We booked through booking.com who have been excellent in getting the problems rectified. We paid a very good rate for entire stay - but there is a theme I see happening between hotels and booking agencies. Initially, we were placed on the lowest floor, next to the staff workroom/breakroom. The hall had a strange smell to it. Leaks on the ceiling, bathtub was old and cracking and our view was that of a brick wall. We contacted booking.com and they were excellent in helping getting us a cleaner and better room. To the hotel's credit, they moved us to a higher floor, corner room for $10 more a night. Beds are better, the view is great, but this hotel fails in many respects. Leaks in the ceiling, phone doesn't work in our new room, bathroom needs work and we have to go 10 floors to get ice. If you are a casual traveler who wants a few days off and you use a booking service, beware that the hotels can and will place you in rooms that are not up to par. It happened to us at the Westin on Michigan Ave in Chicago a few years ago. Don't be shy. Speak up and let the hotel know you are not satisfied. We are here until Monday, April 9, 2012. I keep everyone updated on our remaining stay. Peace..

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for a room on Floor 28 or higher. The manager likes to respond to these posts. Th...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank greg2263
sshern, General Manager at Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of the shortcomings you noticed in your rooms during your visit at Hotel 71. When you changed rooms, our front desk took your first room offline and notified our engineering and housekeeping departments, so corrective action is under way.

My director of housekeeping has reached out to you several times in order to get additional details, but I understand the two of you have been unable to connect. I hope you don't mind our attempts to get additional information. Feedback such as yours fuels our quest for continuous improvement.

Before I close this comment, I wanted to devote a few words to the way we assign rooms. Since we have partnerships with a variety of agencies,we strive to offer the same rates/room types to agencies as we offer on our hotel website. We frequently monitor rate and room type availability through various systems in an effort to achieve this goal.

I realize my apology and response to your comments doesn't make up for the inconveniences you experienced this past weekend; however, I hope you will give us the opportunity to regain your confidence in Hotel 71. Please don't hesitate to contact me the next time you will be in Chicago.

Again...thank you for your very helpful comments. They are appreciated.

Best regards,