“Very Disapointed in Customer Service”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown
Ranked #84 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 27 April 2012

I have stayed at this property before and had a great experience as I had at other Embassy Suites. Unfortunatly the Front Desk customer service really leave alot to be desired on this trip.
From the time I checked in they were unaccomodating from the first clerk to the management. I was to be charged for my fifth night even though I was cancelling the night upon check in.
What really put the icing on the cake was when I need to stay in the room until 4pm (on the extra night they were charging me for ) and I was told that they had already booked my room because they knew I was leavng. I had to pay for the night but I could not stay in the room!
Front desk manager Rhondalyn Buchanon was curt, dismissive and an embarrasment to the Hilton Chain.
In todays economy where Hotels are stepping up their customer service this was a shock.
I didn't expect Ritz Carlton service but I did expect better than Hotel 6.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank sbalfe
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

We stayed three nights at the Embassy Suites Hotel. Everything about this hotel was great. The breakfast was amazing. The rooms were clean and spacious. They have a nice indoor pool. We also enjoyed the happy hour in the evening. They are just a block away from the red line train. It was easy to get there from O'hare. I will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 April 2012

When we arrived, Everything was perfect! We absolutely loved it. Then it rained. It was a good hard long rain. We were eating dinner in the room and suddenly the roof/wall started leaking. Not sure how bad it would get/stay we started the process of changing rooms. That's where things went bad. Really bad! We were traveling with 2 adults and 2 kids. We were sent to a 1 bed suite as a substitution. I went downstairs to explain what we had and what we needed. We were then offered a one room king bed non suite room as a replacement for our 2 bed 2 room suite. I went back down to the front desk and asked the manager if he was trying to prove a point.

They ended up bringing up a roll away, stacking some furniture to make room for it and that's where we were.

I was so frustrated I could not think straight. In the end they ended up giving us a night free. Still not sure that was enough compensation but I wanted to be sure I was not being an irrational customer.

Presented with a difficult situation, I am not sure they did their best. This whole process took about 6 hrs or waiting for managers and such.

Probably won't choose this location for our next trip to the city.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the view from the top floor East side.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank Thumper369
Reviewed 16 April 2012

We enjoyed our stay at Embassy Suites very much. The trip was planned around my two granddaughters, age 5 and 7. The hotel was close to restaurants that they enjoyed. It was also close to the American Girl store. The girls enjoyed swimming, eating the good breakfast, and getting to sleep together in the living area of the suite. All in all, I would highly recommend the hotel for family trips to Chicago.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 April 2012

One night with two of my sons was enough. Nice staff at comp bar at Nightly Manager's reception though I never saw a manager my entire stay, until service and food was NOT present at breakfast, then a manager and staff seemed to jump to "recovery" mode like they did not expect a Sunday morning crowd for breakfast between Christmas and New years Day at a downtown family hotel!! All they set extra, it seemed was one additional single sided "hot food" only buffet near the elevators and one banquet room with 4 rounds of 10 chairs each. Chaos!! And this was the morning after as a HHonors Gold member who checked-in on line the morning before, found my selected type of room NOT ready to be occupied upon our arrival. Good recovery by the front desk...candy for my boys and delivered the room keys to us during the manager's reception. The pool was so crowded and "looked dirty & unsanitary" even to my 2 boys that they did not desire to even swim, for the very FIRST time!! This hotel needs to wake up a little!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family