“Excellent steakhouse in Chicago”
Review of Prime & Provisions

Prime & Provisions
Reserve with OpenTable
Prime & Provisions is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #113 of 10,734 Restaurants in Chicago
Price range: US$ 30 - US$ 70
Neighbourhood: Downtown / The Loop
Description: Prime & Provisions celebrates the simplicity of true steakhouse cuisine and prides itself on its' mission: to source the absolute best domestic beef available in the United States. Prime & Provisions' is the only steakhouse in Chicago to serve USDA Prime Creekstone Farms 100% All Natural Black Angus Beef, humanely raised, with no hormones or antibiotics. While the menu reconnects with traditional steakhouse roots, the decor highlights the vintage opulence of 222 North LaSalle's "Crown Building" and creates a social experience that connects the modern-day patron with the sophistication and glamor of the era in which the building was first constructed. Prime & Provisions also offers a variety of private and semi-private dining spaces, including Prime Private, one of the largest and most intimate private dining rooms in Chicago.
Reviewed 17 December 2017 via mobile

Prime & Provisions is an excellent steakhouse in Chicago. The food is excellent, it is always crowded, the location is terrific, the decor is lovely and it is part of the Siena Tavern group. I highly recommend it

Reviewed 11 December 2017

I passed by this restaurant 100 times, but finally frequented it with work colleagues. Upon arrival, they would not seat any guests until the majority arrived, but the problem is that the waiting area is very crowded. We finally sat and the remainder of the evening was very good. The food, the staff and the atmosphere was very nice and worth checking out. I would definitely go back, but make sure all your part arrives near the reservation time...

Reviewed 9 December 2017

I will get the negatives out of the way first: I ordered a glass of wine that I know sells in liquor stores for $25 and they charge $20 per glass. My husband ordered the lamb chops and they were not even warm when they arrived at the table; I ordered a fillet and it was luke warm but I did not send back because it would have ended up well done so I ate it the way it was and I will say that the quality of the meat was excellent but would have been a whole lot better had it been warmer or right off the grill. Even the garlic paste was cold. Banana cream pie - skip it! Tasted as though it was 2-3 days old. Don't plan to have a conversation while in this restaurant unless it is with the person next to you - very LOUD! Now for the positives - the chopped salad was one of the best we have ever had. Warm rolls were delicious. French fries were outstanding. Our waitress was excellent - she really tried to please and for that we were grateful. My husband said that Ruth's Chris has better lamb chops and I say that many steak restaurants have good fillets.

Reviewed 6 December 2017

The first thing you notice is that all the staff, and multiple people attend to every table, are friendly and very helpful. This is the only place, I have been to, that has an appetizer as follows: House-flared thick-cut bacon, black pepper, maple syrup and dark chocolate glaze. Magnificent, decadent, a bit filling and worth every morsel! The wine selection here is excellent and if one has trouble pairing, the sommelier is on standby. We had the dry-aged bone-in ribeye and whipped potatoes with horseradish parmesan crust. The steak was delicious; the potatoes excellent as well. We split the meal as the portions are substantial and the bacon appetizer put a small dent in our appetites. This place was lots of fun!

Reviewed 26 November 2017 via mobile

Went on a Friday night a bit early before going to a show. Seated promptly and presented with menus. We decided on a few starters to share including the crab cake, tuna tartar, and the bacon. The bacon was amazing. On paper chocolate and maple may sound odd but it works. I think calling it bacon may scare some people away as opposed to calling it pork belly but we were glad we got it. The tuna was my next favorite and then the crab cake. We asked for recommendations on the starters, sides and entrees. Our server Nathaniel had plenty of recommendations and opinions and his honesty was appreciated. We considered the fried chicken starter but was advised it was a bit heavy and probably better for a lunch entrees.

For entrees I had the KC strip medium rare. It normally comes cut off the bone and sliced on a hot plate. He advised to not got the hot plate or having it cut and I followed the suggestion. The steak was great. Really good aged beef flavor, tender and cooked perfect. The KC is 18oz and the NY is 14oz. The sides we got were the pureed potatoes, Brussels sprouts, and mushrooms. All recommended. The only thing I'll say is that weren't giant sides. So even though there were 3 of us sharing there wasn't an abundance of sides.

We also brought 2 nice bottles of wine with us and they have a $35/bottle corkage. It is a little high and probably as high as I will go. I made sure the bottles brought were on the expensive side to make it worth it for an additional $35. The wine service was as expected. Decanters were available and asked whether it should be decanter at the table or wine station and station was fine with us. We passed on dessert as we were a little pressed for time.

Overall the food and service was top notch and the atmosphere wasn't a "I'm here to be scene" like RPM which was fine for us. The bar area looked nice as well. Definitely would return. Separately I was asked what me favorite Chicago steakhouse is. I wasn't sure if I have a favorite but this one is now in contention.