“Luxury Hotel w/excellent service and breathtaking view of Chicago”

Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago
Ranked #31 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Naperville, Illinois, USA
“Luxury Hotel w/excellent service and breathtaking view of Chicago”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2012

It's our 30th Wedding Anniversary! We spent the weekend in Chicago to celebrate and we returned to the Trump Hotel. We were so glad we did; it was wonderful!

The Trump Hotel is a brand new 96 floor skyscraper; this modernism-style building is the 2nd tallest skyscraper in Chicago and is located on the Chicago River. The hotel is located in the lower floors, with condos in the upper floors.

We booked a Executive King Lake View room on the 19th floor. We had a beautiful view of the river, Lake Michigan, and the downtown city skyline. Breath-taking! Our room was really an apartment: the big main room is divided into a kitchen/dining and living room area with a bathroom on the side. The separate large master bedroom has a really nice master bathroom. Very plush, very luxurious! (ok... expensive, too)

The hotel room came with a bottle of champagne, chocolate strawberries, boxes of chocolates and bottles of water. This room's generous amenities were all part of the weekend package we ordered. Really very nice.

The staff gave very personalized service, and I was really wowed! (Wait until someone asks you to select from the pillow menu)

We had dinner at the "16" restaurant. It was on the 16th floor terrace area with a fantastic view. We loved the restaurant: the service was great, the food was unlike anything we've had before, and not surprisingly very expensive. I recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a Lake View
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
, Vice President & Managing Director at Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago, responded to this review, 10 July 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago for your 30th anniversary and for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay. I am delighted to read that you would recommend our hotel, and I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome your return.

Once again, thank you for your comments about our service, rooms, and for choosing to spend your time with us.

Vice President & Managing Director
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (640)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
usa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2012

Just returned from a 3 day visit to Chicago with our children. We decided at the last minute to splurge and stay at the Trump. It was worth every penny. From check-in to departure we were treated like royalty. The best was when we checked into the room and discovered a bottle of champagne on ice to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. We enjoyed it on our last evening overlooking the Chicago river while watching fireworks from Navy Pier. We had drinks with friends on the Terrace one evening. The view was absolutely amazing.
The health club and exercise facility was top notch, fantastic swimming pool too. Cushy robes and slippers were a nice touch. Most comfortable bed I've ever slept on. We spent more time in the hotel than touring the magnificent city of Chicago! We will definitely go back, and hope to stay at other Trump Hotels in the future.
There was a previous review in which the reviewer said their family was treated like trash. I find that hard to believe.
Also, we discovered when we returned home that the kids had left a DVD behind in the hotel room. A simple phone call and it was handled and mailed back that day.
We travel frequently and stay in 4 star hotels and resorts and this was the best experience in terms of service we've ever had.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank aquasunmom
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay with us at Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago.

I am very pleased to learn that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and that you regard your stay to be one of the best family vacations.

I look forward to an opportunity to welcome you and your family’s return to Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago in the near future.

Vice President & Managing Director
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2012

I have been here for several business meetings and have not been disappointed yet. The service is truly 5 star. Of course, at these prices, it should be. The gym is extremely well equipped and has sufficient machines that all are accomodated. The restaurants are excellent; but the prices for food and drink are exorbitant

Room Tip: Corner rooms are large & sunny. Try for river view
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
, Vice President, Managing Director at Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago, responded to this review, 10 July 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago for your recent stay and for recommending your experience on TripAdvisor.

I am very pleased to learn you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to your return in the near future.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2012

My family of four, including two children ages 6 and 8, spent a May 2012 weekend at the Trump Chicago. The location of the hotel is great, very central, with both river and city views available. We had a one bedroom suite with stunning views of the river and the city, even Navy Pier and the lake in the distance. Upon our early arrival we were greeted in a very friendly way by the front desk staff. The children were given reusable bags/backpacks with a small activity book and crayons and a Trump Kids baseball cap. Then we were given steaming hot wash cloths to wipe our hands and freshen up after our time spent on the plane. The lobby of the hotel is very bright and airy. There was almost always a staff person at the front door ready to hold the door open for us.

Our one bedroom suite was a good size with a small kitchen and two bathrooms. The master bath featured a t.v. in the large mirror. The floor to ceiling windows offered wonderful views. We never heard noise from any of the adjacent rooms. We did hear a lot of sirens from emergency vehicles on the Friday night and some speeding traffic noise, even though we were in a room on an upper level.

Shortly after checking into our room we went out to Navy Pier. When we arrived back at the room in the afternoon there was a glass tray with three shot glass sized glasses containing various flavours of fruit smoothie and a large glass jar of gummie bears for our kids. The smoothies were still so cold it was as if they saw us coming and knew exactly when to place the smoothies inside the room. This was a big hit with the kids! We spent some time in the hotel's indoor pool that afternoon which was very nice. Other than our family of four there was only one other person using the pool at the time. There is comfortable furniture to lounge on around the pool deck. The locker/change room is lovely.

We had turn down service each night which included a small box of 4 Trump chocolates of various flavours. We received a complimentary local newspaper delivered to our door each morning. The bed was very comfortable. We ate breakfast at the Trump restaurant, Sixteen, located on the 16th floor of the hotel. With floor to ceiling windows and enormous ceiling heights, the views were stunning. The breakfasts were lovely too.

Christopher, one of the concierge staff, was most friendly and very helpful, always with a big smile. We inquired about the Shedd Aquarium (a must see) and since we didn't have tickets yet he mentioned that we could avoid the long line ups at the Aquarium by purchasing the tickets at the concierge desk which we did, thank goodness!! This enabled us to walk right into the aquarium and avoid a line up which was probably at least 25 minutes long. Around noon when we left the aquarium the line up was about 5 x as long so I would definitely recommend purchasing tickets in advance to avoid the wait in line. Good advice Christopher!

The hotel is very close to great shopping on Michigan Avenue, boat cruises on the river, walking distance to Navy Pier, Millennium Park and great restaurants nearby. We would recommend that you take a cab to Shedd Aquarium and the museums on museum campus. The Lincoln Park Zoo (a FREE zoo) is a must see if you have children. It's a good sized zoo with all the major animals you would expect to see at a zoo and it's free.

I can't wait to go back to the beautiful city of Chicago and stay at the Trump again!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank hjps
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago on TripAdvisor. I am very pleased to read your appraisal of our team, services and facilities and I know Chris and all my colleagues will be equally pleased to learn of your kind remarks and recognition of their efforts to meet your needs.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago in the very near future.

Chicago
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2012

We just returned from our overnight stay at the Trump Tower Chicago. The hubby and I have been going a million miles in the opposite direction and really needed a luxury treat. I cashed in some of my United miles for what was originally a one night stay at the Elysian. With the buyout of that property I was informed by Preferred Hotel Groups that they replaced this with a stay at the Trump Tower. Would not have been my fist pick..the location of the Elysian along with the fireplaces & balconies for all rooms is what appealed to me. Yesterday we checked into the Trump after 3pm, the welcome & check in was all very nice with a friendly staff. One miss- hot towel welcome with 90 + degree weather they did however provide us each with a bottle of cold trump water. We were provide keys to our room and escorted to the elevator. We stayed in room 2316- and had a lovely view of...a half empty building and the roof of a parking lot. As we checked the room out (and the room is nicely appointed) we noticed clearly that these rooms are not maintained the way they should be for this property. The mirror hanging above the desk was crooked. The bathroom had used dental floss left on the shower floor-so gross! All the tables, books and lamps were dusty and this was visible to the naked eye. Trying to plan our night, we were deciding between room service or an existing reservation nearby. This is when we noticed there was no room service menu. I checked the drawers & closets and on the shelf in the closet was able to find the breakfast room service menu that housekeeping clearly did not set out (oops). I then called the front desk to request a meme and they promised to send one up right away. Flash forward 30 minutes and we are still waiting..I called down again, received an apology with a mention that they would call food services directly. Almost 60 minutes later we still have not had any follow up. I go down to the front desk to inquire (they don't keep any of this there by the way) and the reception person noted in my room profile the times I called and noted that it had been far to long. She picked up the phone to call food services and explained that I was at the front desk inquiring on the menu. This is when I was told a menu was on the way up (as I was standing there). Once I returned to the room, my husband confirmed no- it did not arrive. Almost an additional 20 minutes later- the doorbell rings with the menu. At this point we have decided to go with our dinner plans outside of the hotel. I locked our doorbell to note that we did not want to be disturbed and another 20 minutes later the phone rings to let us know that food services is outside our door...thinking how nice they must have sent up a treat to apologize. Surprise- no treat! There was another person waiting to deliver the same menu. Clearly not a big deal..but we did not want to be bothered and it appears that they have some communication issues. Another 20 minutes goes by and the phone rings again, this time food services wants to ensure we have the menu. I replied that yes, the last delivery would have made menu delivery #2 and she laughed. No offense, but not the appropriate way to respond in my opinion. I did let her know that we did not want to be disturbed and that while I appreciated the follow up, if they could kindly not call again. The hotel bed comfy, the noise level non-existent. This morning taking a shower and when I went to open the shower cap box- it was empty..REALLY?? I then noticed that the sewing kit box appears to be manhandled and used. To be honest it made me wonder if someone had used this and thrown out the box..then someone retrieved it from the trash and refilled the contents. So, what I will say is that this establishment was clearly NOT up to snuff with the competition. Small trivial details to some...but whenI think about all those United miles I used for this stay..I really felt like I got the the very short end of the stick. Many other hotels in the Chicago area that strive to deliver consistent results for their guests experience. Sorry Mr. Trump- we will not be back.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank alohaweding
Dear Guest,

I sincerely appreciate your feedback regarding your stay. All guest feedback allows us the opportunity to improve our services and facilities and we readily welcome both positive and constructive comments. I was of course concerned to learn of the areas which left you to feel disappointed. I have noted your comments regarding the lack of in room dining menu and having to ask for it multiple times, the housekeeping issues, and lack of professionalism by the team.

Our team at Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago makes every effort to deliver upon the high standards we have set ourselves; we strive to ensure our guests recognize the services and facilities we provide as offering a high level of value and a warmly memorable experience. I would like to apologize if in anyway we feel short in this respect. I do hope you will allow us the occasion to restore your confidence in our hotel.