Ray's Bucktown Bed and Breakfast
US$ 755
US$ 626
US$ 599
  • Restaurant
Central Loop Hotel(Chicago)(Great Value!)
US$ 795
US$ 834
US$ 586
US$ 558
  • Fitness centre
Hyatt Regency Chicago(Chicago)(Great Value!)
US$ 639
Hotelpower.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewssauna and steam roomda vinci roomfresh fruitbucktown neighborhoodcardinal roomflamingo roomheated floorsmade to order breakfastmap roomplace to stayeclectic decorwicker parkhome away from homelogan squarequiet neighborhoodblue linewasher and dryer
Reviewed 16 April 2012

We just returned from a weekend in Chicago visiting our daughter and stayed at Ray's for the first time. We will definitely be back! This was our first b&b stay - it was better than we expected. It was very easy to find - right off I-94. The owner (Ray) and all the staff really extend themselves to you and are very friendly. We even got to park our car in the garage but there were always available spots on the street right in front of Ray's. Breakfast was made to order from a full menu and they even let our daughter and her boyfriend join us at no extra charge. Having your own private bathroom is a plus! We enjoyed viewing the many quirky collections around the property. Small things make a big difference in your stay - like plenty of bottled water and wi-fi, comfy couches to relax in if you have some free time and don't want to stay in your room. Great job Ray's! We'll see you again! Outstanding value for Chicago.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Laura C
Reviewed 13 April 2012

We needed a place to get away from our normal crazy life and this was perfect. I love to stay at B&B but my boyfriend had never stayed at one. So for him he was a little spectacle about the whole experience. He ended up loving it just like me. They make their breakfast from scratch which made the whole experience even better. I will be recomending this place to my friends if they are in Chicago.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 March 2012

If we have a chance to visit Chicago again, we would definitely stay at Ray's. The rooms were very comfortable, the breakfasts scrumptious, and the quiet neighborhood was a pleasant place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 March 2012

This was one of the best finds ever!! Rays Bed and Breakfast is a quaint b & b in Bucktown.....about 5 mins away from downtown Chicago. It was easy to find, free on street parking, great service, and amazing food!!! The location is great, with tons of shopping and restaurants within blocks. The two gals who were working ( Rachel and Sarah I believe) were very down to earth, and fun to talk to......... It felt like we were at our friends house, or family. We did ask for a tour of the property, but never received it. Nonetheless, if that's our only complaint, so be it!!!! :) I accidentally left a pair of shoes in the room, and Sarah called within a few hours to get my address to send them to me!!!!

Great job Rays!! We will be back!!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 February 2012

We just got back from a quick one night stay at Ray's, so I thought I'd pop in here to review the place for you.

Our stay at Ray's, in three words, was relaxing and memorable.

When we first arrived, there were no staff on hand to check us in, but as we had been given a heads up that this would be the case and also had been given the door code to get in, we were not at all bothered by this. Upon entry we had a check-in packet waiting for us with directions on how to find our room and explanations covering anything else we might need, as well as the personal cell phone number of the staff in case we needed something. We went right up to our room and began our stay at Ray's!

Style-wise, Ray's is quaint, retro, and very eclectic. It is NOT your typical Victorian, tea-and-crumpets with a side of birdwatching BandB! It comes with quirk and personality (for instance, a collection of pez dispensers decorates the front lobby and the backyard fence is lined with old bowling balls) and also has two free-roaming, free-spirited cats to lend extra charm. As soon as we were settled in our room, we went and explored every nook and cranny of the place, and there were eccentricities and interesting nooks and crannies everywhere we looked.

Location-wise, Ray's is located right in the heart of the Bucktown neighborhood, and we were able to walk to the subway and from there we had access to the whole city, all while our car stayed parked safely on the street right out front (free parking, might I add. A rarity in Chicago.).

Breakfast in the morning was included in the price and to.die.for. My partner sampled the cinnamon french toast stuffed with strawberry campote, while I went for a Western frittata with a side of red potatoes. While we waited for our food to be made-to-order, we helped ourselves to the side board of fresh fruit, pastries, bagels and lox, and fresh juices and coffee. We sat at the breakfast table with other guests and had a very pleasant morning while our breakfast was cooked feet away from us and served up piping hot. Very very good and we walked away from the table completely stuffed!

Last but not least, our room. We stayed in the Eagle's Nest, and although the room was marvelous, here is where Ray's lost a star. This room has four large bay windows that look directly out onto the street in front of Ray's, which happens to be a very busy three-way intersection. Although the view was nice, there was traffic noise from it all night long. The traffic noise was very audible in the room and woke me up at times. This is a real shame, as the room itself was perfectly wonderful. It had an enormous king size bed as well as a day bed/twin bed overlooking the big bay windows. In addition, it had a skylight, desk, bathroom (no jacuzzi tub), large screen tv/dvd player, comfy chair, and mini fridge. The bed was ridiculously comfy and soft, and one needed a stepstool to climb up into it as it was so high off the ground. So all in all, a great room, and one that came highly recommended by staff.

I'm honestly not sure what Ray's could do about the street noise, as they obviously can't change their location. Perhaps updated windows (I'm not sure but it seemed like the windows were the original windows that came with the place; modern windows tend to block more sound), or even simply providing ear plugs or a note of warning to travelers booking the room? I'm sure that rooms not facing the street wouldn't have had this problem, and I didn't hear any other guests complaining about this. However, as this was one of the more (most?) expensive rooms, it seems there must be something that could be done to alleviate this problem- because when one thinks "bed and breakfast", one certainly doesn't think of being woken up by traffic noise!

Overall, however, our stay really was fabulous. We truly enjoyed the experience and would probably return if we ever opt to BandB in Chicago again. Highly recommend Ray's to all!

Room Tip: Do not pick street-facing rooms if you are sensitive to noise at night.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple