“Be sure to start with Caprese flatbread”
Review of Fireplace Inn

Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Near North Side
Cross street: Schiller
Transit: CTA North Avenue #72 Bus CTA Brown / Purple Line Sedgwick Stop CTA Red Line Clark and Division Stop
Reviewed 23 January 2021

My wife and I have lived in Chicago's Gold Coast neighborhood since 1983. Since then, we have enjoyed the wonderful nightlife and restaurants that the nearby Old Town neighborhood on North Wells Street has to offer. Like the Fireplace Inn, at 1448 North Wells Street, which has been one of Old Town's most popular go-to destinations since 1969. Since the pandemic, we have taken advantage of Fireplace Inn's delivery and curbside service. Our traditional order is two full slabs of barbecue baby back ribs with cole slaw and French fries. For years, we didn't order anything else. But a friend recommended that we try the house's Caprese flatbread for an appetizer. Bingo. What a great way to start a meal. By any other name Caprese flatbread could be construed as bruschetta. But it is so much more. It's a vegetarian delight, crispy flatbread crust, home-made spinach pesto, lots of mozzarella cheese, ripe grape tomatoes and tangy balsamic glaze with fresh basil. Chicago isn't known for its ribs, like Memphis or Kansas City or Austin or St. Louis, but Fireplace Inn has been the gold standard for 52 years, setting a culinary trend that is becoming more and more popular in the city.

Date of visit: January 2021
2  Thank Taylor B
Write a reviewReviews (67)

Reviewed 14 September 2020

Chicago isn't known as a haven for barbecued baby back ribs, not like Memphis or Kansas City or St. Louis or Austin. But maybe it should. One by one, more and more classic rib joints are making a reputation in the city. And don't forget the old-time institutions that have been barbecuing tasty and tender ribs for decades, like Fireplace Inn. Located at 1448 North Wells Street, south of North Avenue, in the historic Old Town neighborhood, Fireplace Inn has been a popular restaurant and sports bar that specializes in barbecued baby back ribs since 1969. It was one of the first eateries my wife and I visited when we moved into the area in the early 1980s. Dine in, curbside pickup or delivery, Fireplace Inn always delivers when it comes to meaty and tender and tasty and zesty ribs. We also order two full slabs of BBQ baby back ribs with mild sauce, cole slaw and fries. Since the Coronavirus closed many restaurants or limited their dine in service, we have leaned to curbside pickup and delivery. Since we live only two blocks from Fireplace Inn, both are easy to negotiate. Order on line for curbside pickup, drive over and pick up your ribs within an hour. No need to reheat it when you get home. It's all wrapped up and piping hot. Just pour on the BBQ sauce and enjoy. Eating ribs is always a messy business, which is why we prefer to eat at home, in front of the TV, watching a sports event. With plenty of napkins.

Date of visit: September 2020
Reviewed 9 February 2020

My wife and I aren't experts on barbecued baby back ribs. We've sampled the celebrated ribs of Memphis, St. Louis and Kansas City. And we've sampled ribs at some of Chicago's leading BBQ pits. Because eating ribs is a messy undertaking, we usually order ribs to be delivered. Unfortunately, two restaurants where we have ordered ribs in the past have closed. What to do for a ribs fix? How could we have overlooked the Fireplace Inn? Located at 1448 North Wells Street in the historic Old Town neighborhood, the restaurant/sports bar has been a local institution since 1969. And it is only two blocks from our home. I've had Fireplace Inn's ribs before and I gave them a well-deserve thumbs-up. If they aren't the best ribs in Chicago, they certainly are in the conversation. But we've never had them delivered. Until now. In fact, when I called in our order, I was told the delivery would take 45 minutes to an hour. But the deliveryman arrived in only 25 minutes. Two full slabs of BBQ baby back ribs. With sides of cole slaw and French fries. With lots of sweet and mild BBQ sauce. Open from 4:30 to midnight on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, from 11 to 2 a.m. on Friday and Saturday and from 11 to 11 on Sunday, Fireplace Inn begins delivery at 3:30 on weekdays and at 4 on Saturday and Sunday. Love the ribs, so tender and meaty, every last one of them. And love the swift delivery. We've found our new home for ribs. Fireplace Inn really delivers the goods.

Date of visit: February 2020
Reviewed 1 November 2019 via mobile

We ordered in from Fireplace Inn, and we feared the delivery would be just okay. We were pleasantly surprised. Everything was wrapped tightly and still warm. I had Parmesan tilapia with rice and veggies, and my spouse had chicken and ribs. Both dishes were delicious and plenty for two meals. Even the salads that came with the entrees were good. It was a bit pricey, but we’d order in from here again.

Date of visit: October 2019
Reviewed 22 May 2019

My family & I were going to see second city and wanted somewhere close by to have dinner and that’s how we choose this place. Right away I could tell this is where the locals drink. We purposefully came during happy hour which is Monday – Friday 4:30-7:00pm in order to get the half price wine. There was no line up so we were seated immediately but at the worst table by the kitchen door (it was either that or a high top table) and had to wait a while for someone to come over and serve us. When our server finally did show up, it was an experience I will never forget. He was nice, polite and worked hard but the communication process seemed to break down when it came to taking our orders ex. My daughter had ordered a ginger ale and despite reminding him 3 times the drink never came nor was water offered. So when he came back with the wine we made sure to order everything in one shot. We started off with the French onion soup which was decent but we added a little extra wine. For the entrée my family and I all ordered cheeseburgers with fries and it was one of the best cheeseburgers I have ever eaten in my life. It was juicy, full of flavour and soft to chew and once I started I couldn’t stop…Yum! We shared a chocolate cake for dessert which was pretty much our only choice since our server told us that a lot of desserts on the menu were currently unavailable which left us with about two choices. The cake was slightly bitter but the ice cream was good. I found the prices reasonable but wouldn’t go back again, just wanted to try something different.

Date of visit: April 2019