“Super tasty family-style Senegalese food at a very reasonable price”

Badou Sengalese Cuisine
Ranked #1,764 of 10,734 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: African
Reviewed 20 March 2017

My friends and I decided to try Badou when the chef was experimenting in preparation for a new menu. All three dishes (and the appetizer) he served us were very well done! The lamb in peanut sauce was great, the charred and spicy meat was well-done too, and the vermicelli chicken was fine. I think the bill was very reasonable for all this, and the chef is a cool guy. The location is the only thing I don't really like because Howard isn't a nice neighbourhood, but it's a short walk from the station on a busy street so it's not that bad.

Reviewed 10 December 2016 via mobile

I had no idea what to expect. Everything was fantastic and finger licking. It's a bit of a hole in the wall, but they will be moving to a nicer location in January. I can't wait.
I don't remember any dish names. The empanada like pastries are tangy and tasty. The short grain almost round rice amazing in flavor. The lamb marinated in I don't know but so wonderful. There is heat but not too much. Mostly it is just tons of flavor.

Reviewed 30 July 2016 via mobile

I had the Thiebou Djen, and my Gods was it scrumptious. It was delivery but for the sheer quantity and taste you would swear it was 5 Star quality! It is adequately priced and a great value for what they offer!

Reviewed 16 July 2016

My first time eating Senegalese food. I was part of a party of 15 enjoying dinner here. The service was outstanding, the host made sure to explain everything he was making for us (he prepared a multiple course meal) and we were free to store drinks in the kitchen's fridge. I don't know if I've ever encountered better service at a restaurant. Also, the food was amazing, I had seconds of every dish and loved everything I tried.

Reviewed 13 July 2016

Held a dinner for 13 people at Badou Restaurant. Badou (the owner) took his time to explain what our group would be enjoying as well as some info on Senegalese hospitality, he even joined our group for dinner during points of the evening.

First dish included both beef and chicken pastels (think empanadas), great starter.

Second dish was chicken yassa. Caramelized onions, olives, habanero, lime-seasoned chicken, served over white rice. Heat would kick at the end, but not mouth melting.

Mafe, a peanut butter based stew with chicken & yams.

Served were two dishes not on the menu, a stuffed kingfish & jerk chicken.

The kingfish meat had been removed, minced, mixed with spices then put back into fish to cook, served with a side of couscous. I would have preferred the fish being roasted whole as the minced was almost like ground beef. We were able to dig out some whole fish pieces from the collar and tail & these were fantastic.

Whole roast leg of lamb w/Senegalese spices, served over couscous. What's not to like about roasted lamb, delicious.

The restaurant is BYOB (bring your own booze).

Although our group's menu was meat heavy, vegetarian friendly dishes are readily available.

1  Thank SweetWillie

Been to Badou Sengalese Cuisine? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK