“Good services and facilities at an amazing price!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Kinzie Hotel
Ranked #18 of 186 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Detroit, Michigan, United States
“Good services and facilities at an amazing price!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2012

Last month I was looking for some hotels in Chicago on the Internet, when I saw something about Amalfi Hotel Chicago – a description and some reviews of some people who tried this hotel. Everyone seemed very satisfied about it and the next thing I did was calling and making a reservation for a week. The woman who answered the call was very nice and skillful, very polite and prepared to answer all my questions.
I have to say that I was very enthusiastic about the hotel when I arrived. The service was excellent, the restaurant had acceptable prices and the best cakes ever and the hotel seemed to be placed in a very populated area. And I also ate a great Prosciutto e Funghi pizza.
Everything went very well and I was kind of sad when I left the place and came back to Michigan. Amalfi Hotel Chicago is a great deal indeed.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
AmalfiHotelChicago, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this review, 11 September 2012
Thank you kindly for the 5-star review! We’re thrilled to receive such positive guest feedback—especially about our team! We pride ourselves on the level of service we provide and it’s always a pleasure to hear we delivered on that promise. We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your review and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon!

Guest Experience Manager
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Gatineau, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2012

Really enjoyed our stay there. Nice place, great location. We walked almost to every place we could, and when not possible, they have great transit. The staff is very pleasant & helpful. Though they offer a continental breakfast, its not your usual type, they have fruits, yogurt, bagels, cereals... all you're missing are the eggs which I didn't mind. But if you're the egg type, then good luck for breakfast; some places advertised it but don't open until 11am. Go figure.
You can easily get there from O'Hare by train ($2.25/person) vs. $40+ by cab. You only have a couple of blocks to walk from station to hotel.

Room Tip: When booking your room, ask for one away from the elevator area as they serve their daily continenta...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
AmalfiHotelChicago, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this review, 7 September 2012
Many thanks for the thoughtful review! We’re pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I’m delighted to hear you were able to take advantage of our central location in downtown Chicago and visit all the sites by walking and using our easy CTA system! I’m also happy you were able to indulge in our deluxe complimentary continental breakfast as well. We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your review and look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

London, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2012

Great hotel that is close to many attractions. Rooms were clean and nicely decorated. Staff were helpful with information on local restaurants/tours and assisted with bookings/reservations. Breakfast on every floor was wonderful with lots of variety. I would definately recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: We were told that rooms with king sized beds did not offer city views. We were ok with this as we w...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for sharing your review with the TripAdvisor community! We’re delighted to know you enjoyed your recent stay with us and to receive such positive feedback about our team! I’m also pleased to know you enjoyed our deluxe complimentary continental breakfast and appreciated the convenience of it being served on each floor. We truly appreciate your glowing recommendation and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon!

Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2012

The staff was very pleasant and helpful. Check-in was a breeze.

The location is perfect for us, right by the rive and close to several of our favorite places to eat/drink, including Keefers, which is on the premises. We were on the fifth floor in a deluxe corner king room, which was a little bit odd in that once you open the room door there is a long-ish hallway and a corner to turn to actually get into the living space. But that whole wall is windows, as well as the other wall, so you have all windows on all walls. The window treatments are strung together though, so you have little shafts of light coming in every few feet or so in the morning. I would rather give up the flexibility of having one panel open, one closed in order to have more room darkening - especially with all of those windows. Aditionally, the room decor itself was a little bit boring. Muted colors, lots of dark (bland) golds. We usually stay at Kimpton properties while in Chicago, sometimes the Palmer or Drake. Part of the reason why we stay at these properties is because of the cool decor. It wasn't awful - just boring. A few more towels would have been nice. We had enough - but I have long hair and extra towels are a nice to have, especially if bath towels are not offered (which they weren't). I'm sure we could have called for more towels - it wasn't that important. Just an observation. I did appreciate the lighted magnified mirror and the vanity stool in the bathroom. Both were nice touches. The bed was quite comfortable and there were plenty of extra blankets if needed. Robes and slippers were provided, along with a few books and CDs, which were also nice.

The breakfast each morning was very nice in that it's provided floor-by-floor. There is no brawl to get at the bagels. A nice variety of food, including string cheese, yogurt and peanut butter for those who can't eat gluten. The coffee was quite good. We only went to the cocktail hour once, but that was quite good as well. The space it's in is small, but comfy. A nice food selection, and whatever drinks you want, complimentary. The bartenders were fun.

I did not notice any hallway noise - but we were at the end of the hall. There was some alley noise on the one side, but nothing that was too obnoxious. You are in a city, after all.

All in all, it was a good long weekend stay at a nice hotel. We will probably go back depending on what the rates are vs our usual favorites.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
AmalfiHotelChicago, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this review, 6 September 2012
Thank you for sharing your review with the TripAdvisor community. We’re pleased to know you enjoyed your recent stay with us and to receive such kind words about our team. I’m delighted to know you appreciate our in-room features like the light makeup mirror and vanity stool as well as the selection of books and CDs. I apologize if you did not have enough towels in your room; as you mentioned, you can always call our Front Office and ask for more but we appreciate your suggestion of keeping more towels in the room and will share with our Housekeeping department.

I’m also pleased to know you enjoyed our complimentary amenities like our deluxe continental breakfast and evening cocktail reception. We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back upon your next visit to Chicago.

Rochester Hills
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2012

I booked this hotel while on business in Chicago for four days. I checked in on Monday and left immediatly to pick up my sister as she was going to stay with me that week. When I returned I was greeted and asked if I needed assistance with my baggage. They actually remembered that I did not bring in my luggage. I travel quite a bit but I have never felt so at home as in this hotel The staff was outstanding. The continental breakfast was okay and as well as the reception but the service made up for everything. Thank you for the personal touch. It means a lot when you are away on business.

Room Tip: Our room was at the end of the hall and was very quiet.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Many thanks for the 5-star review! We’re thrilled to receive such positive guest feedback—especially about our team! We pride ourselves on the level of service we deliver and it’s a pleasure to know we lived up to that promise. We truly appreciate such a glowing recommendation from an experienced traveler like yourself and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon!