“Really liked this hotel.”
Review of River Hotel

River Hotel
Ranked #63 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
New York
“Really liked this hotel.”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I arrived early AM and was given a room immediately. It was small, but clean and attractive in a generic way. This is not a complaint, just fact. It would have been small for two, but perfect for one. There was no view unfortunately. Next time, and there will be a next time, I will ask for a river view which one of my traveling companions had and it was spacious enough for a small group to meet in. There was no noise, it was silent every evening. The bedding was fresh, pillows were good and staff was helpful. Location was good. Thoroughly enjoyed my stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view if possible.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Jane G
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Korean first
Wisconsin
Reviewed 16 April 2012

We were on the fifth floor in a corner unit. At first we loved the location of the hotel and really liked the room. Then we looked out the window. Nothing but alley, dumpster and at night very loud. The tv was extremely small and so far from the bed it was hard to see and hear. The rooms was decorated from IKEA. Then getting in the shower in the morning. Wow!!!! I have been in some small showers in Europe but this was definitly the tightest. I am 5'9" 160 and it was a difficult shower. On the second night a group of guys came rolling in about 4 am banging doors and very loud. It continued until 8:30 when they finally checked out. I called the front desk twice. I am not sure they did anything the first time. The mattress was old, flat and extremely firm. Pillows were old and used. Too many other hotel chains are upgrading the bedding. The point here is that you will not get a good nights sleep. The little bit of money we saved staying here was not worth it. There are plenty of other hotels close by.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kywi
White Plains NY
Reviewed 16 April 2012

I had a meeting in Chicago that started at 11:30 on Friday April 13, 2012. I left New York on a 7:10 AM flight so I could arrive in Chicago early enough to check into my room and freshen up. I arrived at the River Hotel at 10:00 AM and ask to check in early. I was told that a room was available but would have to pay a $35 early check in fee. I have never been charged an early check in fee at any hotel I have stayed in in my life and beleive this is insulting for a guest with a firm prepaid reservation. I did not pay the early check in fee and went to the Rennasance hotel bathroom to brush my teeth and wash my face.
Since I know this is your policy/practice I will not stay at your facility again and share my experience with others.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank James S
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 11 April 2012

This is a great hotel in a fab location for exploring the sites and doing some shopping. I arrived at the hotel after three weeks of travelling around the States and staying in hostels and was delighted with how lovely my room was.

I was travelling on my own at this stage and found the hotel staff very nice. On my last day they looked after my luggage while I did some last minute shopping before heading for the airport. The price was really reasonable to so I would highly recommend this hotel to people visiting Chicago. I stayed last October; review is way over due!

Room Tip: When booking ask for a room with a view. My room was at the back with a view of the roof of a neighb...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
Northern Illinois
Reviewed 25 February 2012

A friend of mine and I stayed at the River Hotel on Wacker Drive on Friday February 24, 2012. We wanted to be close to Michigan St shopping, and we weren't disappointed. The hotel is within a block of Michigan St shopping, right across the street from the River, which made for a beautiful view from our 10th floor room at night. They have valet parking, which is cheap compared to most Chicago parking. They charge $35 for valet parking for $24 hours. I've seen parking in Chicago much higher.

The room itself was small, but beautifully decorated, well maintained, and clean. We didn't mind the size of the room because we spent very little time there. Also, you don't need to bring pillows from home because their pillows are the best pillows I've ever used in a hotel. Very nice and comfortable.

The staff was helpful, and we were able to check in very quickly.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends