“Good Sushi Place”
Review of Macku Sushi

Macku Sushi
Reserve with OpenTable
Macku Sushi is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,395 of 10,732 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Lincoln Park
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Our family went to this restaurant because it is my two daughters' favorite sushi place and she wanted to go there for her birthday. My wife and I are not crazy about sushi, but we enjoyed our meals there. The waiter was very helpful in helping us pick out the various selections the restaurant offered. We had a good time there and the food was very good. They do have other items you can order besides Sushi.

Reviewed 26 January 2018

“Terrible service can overpower any food, no matter how carefully prepared and delicious it may be. We will definitely not be back and we do not recommend this place at all”

I get the feeling that your experience at Macku (with our first server at least Tall, big build, Asian) can depend MASSIVELY on who you are and possibly even on how you look. My boyfriend and I went to celebrate our 7th anniversary last Saturday. We both work and go to school full time so date nights are rare and we had been looking forward to this all month. We had a reservation so we were sat quickly and noticed a few empty tables so we were looking forward to it being a smooth dinner. Our initial server, whose name I wish I would have caught must of thought we were deaf - He came to our table and loudly asked “What do you want to drink?” - No introduction, no chef specials, just those 6 words. We totally disregarded it, we were there to celebrate you know? I simply said “no not yet, we’d like to take a look at the menu first, thank you.” He grunted as he walked away and came back within a few minutes and loudly asked again “WHAT DO YOU WANT TO DRINK”, I told him we were ready to order some appetizers if he didn’t mind. Which of course he did, and he made sure to make it known, he said he wasn’t ready for an order and that he would be right back and walked away. He then left to take care of the table right next to us, in a gentle and very informative manner he explained the menu and took their order without any hesitation!!!

Before becoming a nurse I’ve waited tables at many restaurants, because of that, I am always apt to cut servers a lot of slack but this guy was so rude and his treatment was simply inexcusable. I honestly don’t even know how or why we made it this far at this point. Anyhow as we were trying to order off the menu he would simply say NO, NO, NO WE DON’T HAVE THAT - Instead of suggesting what they did actually have because at this point it seemed as if they had nothing. We were able to order a few appetizers, sashimi, and our drinks. We received our food rather quickly, my boyfriend (FYI: HE IS A SUSHI CHEF downtown) asked for Wasabi and the server SCOLDED him and said he would ruin the sashimi with more wasabi and refused to bring it to the table. We asked a different server for the wasabi, and with no hesitation it was brought to us. Again, why are we still here? This is beyond ridiculous, it can’t possibly get any worse, can it? Ohhhh but it certainly can. After repeatedly seeing that same server kindly explain the menu to other tables, he came to our table and said “The chef’s have a big order coming so you have to order your entire meal right now if not you’re going to have to wait more than an hour for food so what do you want” 1. We were the ONLY table he said that too. 2. There were a few empty tables still and 3. We still hadn’t received the drinks we ordered more than 15 minutes prior and yet he was trying to kick us out?!

After botching every possible aspect of our meal, I voiced my opinion to the manager. She sincerely apologized and offered us a Do Over with a different server. Nickolas was our second server and the experience difference was insane, he was fantastic and explained everything to us which we are grateful for - However, Terrible service can overpower any food, no matter how carefully prepared and delicious it may be. We will definitely not be back and we do not recommend this place at all.

Reviewed 25 January 2018

I take people visiting - or groups of friends - here when I can - simply because it is consistently excellent and inventive. Recently I tried their Omakase option (chef's choice - ad-libbed as you go.) : on Thursday it was actually 30% off for their $75.00 Omakase menu - a GREAT value. Then one day, I ordered the option of the best quality seafood omakase. This was more expensive, but I asked to be told when I had reached my fiscal limit. Each dish was presented like a piece of art: on unique and inventive dishware - or huge seashells - or astounding sculptural serving plates. The dishes were unlike anything I had ever had: snails in incredible sauce; the freshest caviar on a spoon, langostina whose shells were so crisped that they were edible and delicious. An amazing experience. They also have an impressive Japanese whiskey collection - which my son-in-law loved. I only wish they carried a pink sparkling wine - my favorite accompaniment to sushi - and they brought back their prior mixed seafood caldron of soup (with quail egg and a variety of seafood, slightly spicy - delicious enough for a meal.)

Reviewed 6 April 2017

I've experienced many sushi restaurants and found Macku at the top of the list for quality, variety and the entire sushi experience. We sampled many different dishes, each an individual presentation and many memorable. Service was excellent as well. It is pricey although not too excessive considering it was Chicago. I look forward to another trip here when I return.

Reviewed 6 January 2017 via mobile

We had the Chef selection. It was simply outstanding! Each dish was creative and very tasty and fish was very fresh.
I would definitely return.