“Terrific Ethiopian food!”

Cuisines: Ethiopian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Glenlake
Transit: We are located 2 blocks away from the Red Line Granville Stop and the Broadway 36 CTA bus stop is directly in front of the restaurant.
Description: Take a break from your usual cuisine, to enjoy savory Ethiopian food. Experience exotic elegance at the Ethiopian Diamond, in the heart of Edgewater, Chef/Owner Almaz Yigizaw, welcomes you to her namesake restaurant (Almaz means 'diamond' in Amharic). The Ethiopian Diamond is known for its extensive menu of authentic, Ethiopian dishes for lunch, dinner and weekend brunch, all served in a comfortable, yet hip and inviting setting. Ethiopian food caters to all dietary restrictions including gluten free, vegans, and vegetarians. Come visit, order takeout, or get restaurant delivery from the Ethiopian Diamond today.
Reviewed 19 March 2016

You know when you are at the right place for Ethiopian food when the restaurant is packed with Ethiopian diners. Just walking into this unassuming restaurant, your senses are delighted by the wonderful food smells. We were greeted in a warm and friendly manner so typical of Ethiopian people and our service continued in this manner. The restaurant has a more extensive menu than typical found and everything we tried was delicious, equal to the best I have ever tried. Highly recommended is the vegetarian dinner for two which included wonderfully spiced stew-like dishes of lentil, collards, cabbage, chickpea, potato, and other vegetables served on injera. For protein we added two very tasty milder chicken dishes (doro tibs and doro tibs alicha) because one of the diners did not like spicy food. I cannot wait to go back and try the lamb wat. There was plenty of additional injera to go around. For the quality and quantity of food, the prices was very reasonable.

Reviewed 13 March 2016

Delightful staff will serve you a delicious cornucopia of food. Very large menu. I highly suggest reservations. The meals are a bit pricey, but worth it. Try the mead, delicious spiced tea and coffee as Ethiopia is known as the mother of coffee. Many vegan dishes to choose from.

Reviewed 2 November 2015

I actually prefer this restaurant to the other one. They both have excellent food but I found the service a little more personable here. I went in January though and found the place freezing. Easy to overlook though as I scooped up the nicely seasoned dishes.

Reviewed 2 October 2015

A friend and I went here for dinner on her suggestion. I hadn't been here in probably a decade and I'm sorry for that. It was DELICIOUS!

We ordered the milder Doro Tibs (chicken) and it was moist, flavorful and I would have loved more of it (that being said, at first you think when you see your food arrive that it won't be enough, but I was very full afterwards)! We also had the Vegetarian Sampler and everything with that was fantastic as well.

It comes with a nice amount of Injera bread to eat (no silverware at the tables, but I think you can ask for some if you so desire). It's fun to eat with your hands and not as messy as you might think.

We had 2 servers and they were both delightful, friendly and efficient. Prices and portions are also spot on.

I had an African beer (St. George Light Ale) and I loved it! What I loved even more (and will get the next time I go) was the honey wine that my friend got. A little bit sweet (but not overly) and very refreshing, it was awesome!

I am going to make sure that the time between this visit and my next isn't as long as the previous gap. The food is too good to be missed!

Reviewed 23 September 2015

Eating out with vegan friends will not be a problem anymore. Ethiopian Diamond offers a wide variety of vegetarian and omnivore dishes. If you don't know anything about Ethiopian food, they offer several tasting menus that are great introductions to the various flavors of the cuisine. Great service too.

Been to Ethiopian Diamond? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK