1,656 results
All reviews the financial district the executive lounge bank building willis tower the loop soaking tub separate shower lobby bar beautiful hotel huge bathroom union station art museum beautiful lobby luxury hotel king room business meeting fitness center
Reviewed 6 August 2012

This hotel has a lot going for it so first the really good stuff. Tremendous location dowtown with a train station literally right next door. Easy walking distance to many attractions, and easy train connections to most others. No real need to rent a car (parking costs are attrocious) unless you need to get to some really remote area. The older style building has been remodeled at what appears to be significant cost and is very pleasing. The bedroom was large and had a huge bathroom with double sinks and lots of room. Very clean and neat with a good bed.
Now the not so good stuff. This is supposed to be a flagship property and I am an Elite Marriott member. The Conciege lounge was closed over the weekend, which is becoming more common in the US (thankfully in most European hotels it stays open), however in a lot of Marriott hotels on the weekend the hotel at minimum provides vouchers for a continental breakfast. Here? Nope. Just closed and tough. Newspapers available? Nope. On saturday morning we had a maid knocking on the door at 8am wanting to clean the room. We told her we would be out around 10. At 9:30 she was back and said if she couldn't come in now our room wouldn't be cleaned that day. Huh? If this was a Fairfield Inn I would just shrug and not think to much about it, however with a JW your expectations are a little higher. At around $300 a night the service should be better.
Would I stay here again? Maybe. However it would be price driven. The location is really good and if they were running a room special such that it was significantly cheaper than $300 I might. Otherwise I'd probably look down the street at the Renaissance.

2  Thank RC30319
Reviewed 5 August 2012

The location for this hotel is great but their are much more affordable options in the area. I am sure there are different types of rooms in the hotel but ours was definitely not worth the $300 plus we paid for one night. Our room was very well decorated and the hotel is very upscale but the room was small. The bathroom was half of the room and although I like a nice bathroom not at the expense of a claustrophobic room. Added to this the windows in the room were frosted over. That's right, we could not look out our window!!!!!! I am sure this was to hide a bad view but not being able to see out was totally unacceptable. Definitely ask about this when you check in here. We were also missing the remote in our room and when I called about it the gentleman on the phone argued with me and claimed I just couldn't find it. I played along and looked in all the places he suggested and when it truly couldn't be found he sent one up.

Room Tip: Ask about the windows!!
2  Thank Susan3181959
Reviewed 4 August 2012

Overall, this is a decent place. The location is great, relatively upscale as the JWs are. Wait staff were very friendly and willing to please. Two things I didn't like. One was the fish which I had from the restaurant - very salty with small bones in it - I wouldn't recommend. Second was poor design of the shower. It is a glass stall and the door opens at the back so you have to walk through the cold water when you first turn it on. The door should be at the back of the stall. Nice robes in the room. Otherwsie, pretty good - but a standard JW.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 August 2012

I recently stayed at the JW Marriott in Chicago for 3 nights. I was greeted by the friendly bell staff and my car was immediately valeted.
Front desk staff was great and welcoming.

The rooms are very modern and clean. Great beds, Huge TV and spacious bathroom. The room itself was pure luxury!

On check-out day I asked for my car and gave my ticket number. I waited for about 30 minutes at the front of the hotel and my car still hadn't showed up. After one of the rudest valet attendant saw I was waiting he snatched my valet ticket out of my hand and went inside. He was the most careless employee I had ever seen. He then told me I needed to go inside to talk to the valet lady. She was also very rude and told me I needed to pay $165 for valeting my car when it was already posted on my folio. The guy who had snatched the ticket out of my hand kept telling her that I needed to pay over and over again.
That is completely unacceptable and the worst customer service I have ever seen especially at at a JW Marriott property.
I had spoken with Maureen the manager prior to my arrival about my upcoming stay and she gave us great suggestions about what to do in the area. I am sure she would be extremely dissatisfied if she saw how greedy the valet attendants were (Not the drivers but the Valet staff). I have grown up working in the customer service industry and would have never expected that kind of service from this property!

2  Thank JM11traveler
Reviewed 30 July 2012

I spent a weekend at the JW with a friend. The service was fantastic - at the front desk, concierge and lobby bar. Well appointed lobby and rooms. We had breakfast in the Italian restaurant - good food, though service was a little slow. Beautiful hotel. Would definitely return again.

Room Tip: Our room was the furthest possible from the elevator and it's quite a walk. While I wouldn't want a room next to the elevator, something closer would have been much more convenient.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends