“Good and bad.”

Ranked #2 of 23 Chicago B&B and Inns
Pennsylvania
“Good and bad.”
Reviewed 1 May 2012

The place is physically lovely. We stayed in the Grand Tuscan suite, which was pretty luxurious. Breakfast and location were great. A few problems, like that when the third floor flushed the toilet, it sounded like a flood in my room, are probably to be expected, although, for the prices, disappointing.

However, one incident truly soured our visit. Our group of women had the whole second floor; another group of women had the whole third floor. We had been told that no other guests were in the Villa. In fact, we were told we could shower in the basement room if needed. Unbeknownst to us, the basement was belatedly rented to three men. These men, and a woman they brought home, arrived very late from a night out and proceeded to disturb everyone else's night. They impermissibly invaded the second and third floors (which alarmed all of those floors' residents), they continued their party on the balcony next to one of our rooms (a room which, despite being adjacent to a shared balcony, does not have opaque window coverings) and, even when on the first floor, were loud (and, I guess drunk-cooking) into the early Sunday morning hours. Despite being informed of this behavior, the inn keeper took no effective steps to curb it and although she was "mad" at them in the morning, she was more interested in the story of it and not in how it disturbed us. The owner, who heard this story, never addressed it with us. I'm still not sure we got the full story, but at a minimum, we were awoken and frightened by the surprise presence of unknown men on our floor and around our rooms after midnight with no response from the innkeeper. In addition to the sheer drapes in the Venetian room, the main bedroom of the Tuscan suite features a window to the hallway which permits passerby to see therein. We did not feel secure.

We were assured that this was a fluke incident; however, other reviews on here indicate in wasn't unique; further, the privacy concerns should be addressed in the event the unexpected happens again.

The incident, and the staff's response to it, would prevent me from staying here again, which is a shame, because everything else is very well done.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
8 Thank TravelerJane5
Erika S, Manager at Villa D'Citta, responded to this review, 3 May 2012
We do appreciate your review whether 'good or bad.' We will definitely work to find a way to soften the noise from the upstairs baths. The house was built in the late 1800s and I bet they probably never thought it would become the B&B that it is today! :)

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our property minus the badly behaved downstairs guests and the way I may have reacted. For you, and anyone who may read this review, I want to sincerely apologize once again for the noise that came home with the gentlemen that rented the downstairs suites. They had been guests in the past and never caused any problems. We actually came to know them fairly well so it wasn't a question when they asked to make a reservation.

There were two groups of ladies on the top floors and they did have the entire floors of the villa until this new booking was made. I failed to mention that a few other guests booked late Saturday night because I wouldn't have expected them to come upstairs to view the rest of the house. My apologies for not letting you know that new guests were coming in, as it was an obvious mistake on my part.

When I received phone calls late at night that guests were being loud downstairs, I did do all I could do talk to them and tell them to please be quiet and respect the rest of the guests by retiring to their room. The next morning they were kindly asked to leave. The house is very secure with a proper security system in place, locked gate surrounding the property as well as locked front and back doors. We also have security cameras at all entrances to ensure everyone who is at the Villa should be at the Villa. Unfortunately these guests, who were welcome, ruined it for themselves.

If you are ever back in town please call us, we'll make sure you are fully taken care of. We really enjoyed you ladies here over the weekend! Thanks for visiting and hope to see you soon!!
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Greenville SC
Reviewed 15 April 2012

Came up to eat at Alenia with my wife and found this place 3 blocks away. We got the room with the outside hot tub and overall our time there was awesome. I really don't want to come to town again unless I say here.

Room Tip: One room connects to the deck and outside hot tub.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 2 March 2012

What a fun experience! Villa D’ Citta is like having your own personal mansion in Lincoln Park. The rooms were extremely spacious with nice amenities. The common area was perfect for breakfast or relaxing after the evening out. And the staff was very accommodating and friendly. We will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EMS030112
Erika S, Manager at Villa D'Citta, responded to this review, 4 May 2012
THANK YOU for your wonderful review! March is definitely a good time to visit to experience 'your own mansion' for the weekend. Winter here is quite for us, and guests definitely get to experience a more personal service at the Villa. Come summer the rooms do fill up, but if you call early enough you can actually reserve the entire place for family reunions, weddings, ect. ! Hope to see you back soon!
Martinsburg, West Virginia
Reviewed 27 February 2012

We just returned from a wonderful weekend at the inn! I can't believe how at home we all felt there. The inn was very luxurious! The food was super and the rooms were amazing. I had a bridal shower for my daughter there and it was absolutely perfect! Erika, the inkeeper is a doll! I highly recommend it for your next stay in Chicago.!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Orange Park, Florida
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I happened upon Villa D' Citta after finding all of my downtown Chicago mainstays (W, Hilton, Marriott, etc.) full in late January traveling on business. I would have never thought to choose a B&B for business travel but now that I have, I'll look for VDC the next time. VDC was an extraordinary experience and I will have to go back with my wife on vacation this summer. Their Couples Retreat Suite is probably the most romantic accommodation you can get. VDC B&B is decorated with the taste and refinement of a Four Seasons.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Erika S, Manager at Villa D'Citta, responded to this review, 4 March 2012
We are so happy you had a good B&B experience! They are all different and we recommend trying as many as possible! Except of course when you are in Chicago, we recommend coming back here ;)