“Wow” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 185 Hotels in Chicago
Akron, OH
“Wow”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2012 via mobile

This is our first time at this property and I have to say that we are really impressed by the level of service and quality delivered. A no tipping policy? A little "weird" but glorious really. Free Internet with no password? How sensible! We wanted a rollaway bed for the third kid in the king suite we had....the guy who brought the bags up suggested that they just bring it when they do turndown service so the room wouldn't be cluttered unnecessisarily. Clearly someone is managing employees with a sense of doing what is right! I could go on with other nice touches in the room, but for now (we have one more night), I'll just say that I'm really impressed and feel like I'm getting good value for my money. Too often I end up somewhere nice but feel 'nickeled and dimed' for everything from Internet to coffee...it seems silly, but these are things I really like about simpler places like the Hampton Inn, but either Waldorf or this property manager feels the same way and fixed that! Thanks!

Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank eandmgo
, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, 5 July 2012
Dear eandmgo,

Thank you for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago as your hotel of stay during your last visit to Chicago. It was a pleasure to have you and your family. We are so delighted to hear you had a pleasant stay and that you enjoyed your room, with all of its distinctive amenities. We were truly humbled by your gracious comments regarding our service team and our no tipping policy. At the Waldorf Astoria Chicago we truly believe that service should be provided from the heart and with only one purpose in mind, to craft memorable moments for you and the ones you love. We can’t wait to welcome you back to the Waldorf Astoria Chicago when your travels next bring you to Chicago.

Tel: (312) 646-1300
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2012

Recently stayed in a 2BR suite on the 15th floor with my 3 young daughters. Overall I have to say it was just ridiculously posh, which is what we were looking for. More space than we needed, fantastic service, good food, amenities like popcorn, sprites and 3 free movies for the kids, kid sized robes and slippers. Too cute! Some wear and tear on the furniture, staff was courteous, but young. Housekeeping and turn down service was above and beyond. Location was great, walk to American Girl place, John Hancock Tower and great dining on Rush Street. Recommend Gibsons for a great steak and Lou Malnattis for pizza!! Very expensive for anyone with a budget, but what I would expect for 5 star and actually cheaper than Trump or 4 Seasons with AAA discount.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Calimom7
Dear Calimom7,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago. We are so glad that you and your daughters enjoyed your room, the hotel location and some of our favorite restaurants around the area. We look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future!

Aurora, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2012

The service at this hotel was amazing! In addition to the expected such as assistance with dinner reservations and an extra robe or towel brought to the room as needed, I really appreciated the "little extras" like the personalized, hand-written note left in the room upon arrival, the evening cookies and milk for the kids, and the greeting by name after returning from shopping. Each staff member was very friendly and gracious and genuinely eager to assist.

The suite was tastefully decorated and we enjoyed sitting on our patio at various times during the day to watch and hear the city sights. The fireplace, flat-screen TVs and microwave gave it a comfortable, home-like quality. The TV in the mirror of the bathroom made for a fun soak in the tub one evening. I also appreciate when the toilet is separeated from the main bathroom space with a door, as they've done here.

The location is fantastic; just a few blocks from some nice dining such as Hugos, Morton's, Gibsons and Tavern on Rush. It's also a very short walk to Michigan Avenue.

I don't see how anyone could be disappointed with a stay here. Again, while the amenities and room are first-class, it is the exceptional service that puts the Waldorf at the top in Chicago.

2 Thank Amy E
, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, 27 June 2012
Dear Amy E,

Thank you for your positive feedback regarding your recent visit to the Waldorf Astoria Chicago. We are so happy that you and your family had a pleasant stay and that you all enjoyed your room with all of its unique amenities and our hotel location. We are so humbled by your gracious comments with regards to our service. It is truly a pleasure for the entire team to assist in any given opportunity. We can’t wait to welcome you back when your travels next bring you to Chicago.

Sheboygan, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2012

One word sums up the Waldorf Astorua Chicago...CLASSY!

The service was effortless and friendly helpfulness, without being highbrow or overbearing. 5 star service is about making every guest feel comfortable and at ease and this place delivers. I think the no tipping policy is very classy, although I had to keep reminded myself not to.

When we pulled up to the hotel, the valet took the car and someone else took our luggage in. The hotel rooms were sold out (that's what happens when you're #1 on so many lists!!!) and the housekeeping staff had some difficulty with having all the rooms ready by 3pm check-in. When we arrived, we had to listen to some spoiled guests complaining about this and the fact that they could not get the upgrades they wanted. Get over it, people! We took kids to the pool. The staff took our luggage to the pool for them to change and brought our keys to the pool when the room was ready.

It is not hard to make a room look nice on the surface, but his place went well beyond that. The finishes are what you would find in million dollar homes, including refrigerator and freezer drawers and custom wardrobe with leather lined drawers. I didn't even start with everyone's dream bathroom with pocket doors, wall to wall carrera marble, the TV in the mirror (I know you're sick of hearing about it), beautiful mosaic floor, deep Tea for 2 cast iron Kohler tub (a mini pool for my girls), hugh shower, and creative way to hide the water closet with frosted glass doors. It was very spacious and I had to remind myself that I could walk more freely around the room. The lighting system is great...you can even turn off the doorbell if you don't want to be disturbed. No "do not disturb sign needed. Very classy.

I did not schedule a spa treatment but did have the opportunity to use the spa which was an amazing treat. The staff was very gracious and brought me tea. I love the snack spoon set up...you have to see it to know what I mean.
We had brunch at Balsan and it was wonderful. The macarons for turndown were a wonderful treat. Classy, classy, classy!

We brought our 3 and 4 year old girls with us. I would not consider this a family hotel (I think it is ideal or a romantic trip or a getaway with your girlfriends) but the staff was very accommodating with our girls at the pool (gave them pool toys to use) and Balsan (with postcards for coloring.) They also received a toy at turndown which was again, very classy.

I will be spending a small fortune to take my husband to Pebble Beach for his 50th birthday. I already know I will be disappointed with the Inn at Spanish Bay regardless of how well rated it is because of my experience at WA Chicago.
I can't wait to come back here.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank foodie007
Dear foodie007,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago. We truly appreciate your positive feedback and gracious comments regarding our staff, our rooms with all of its unique amenities, our Spa, our restaurant Balsan, and our no tipping policy. The entire team is always excited and delighted to assist without any expectation of receiving back.

I regret the fact that you had to wait for your room to be ready; however, I am glad that you and your family were able to relax using our swimming pool during that time. We hope you have a lovely time in California with your husband to celebrate his birthday. On your next stay, you should definitely have to experience one of our Spa treatments. We will look forward to welcoming you and your family back soon!

IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2012

Had a wonderful visit to Chicago while staying at the Waldorf Astoria. This is our first visit to this hotel, and we were extremely pleased with it. We have stayed at the Drake, Hotel Monaco, Hotel Allegro, and the Palmer House before and have had very good stays at most of them but this takes first place. The staff was excellent--very friendly and helpful (note: tips are not accepted, which pegged me for a newbie everytime I pulled cash out. Really too bad because the staff was so good that you really want to tip them). The few minor issues we had (fridge started to break down) were very quickly and courteously fixed. We stayed in the Astoria Suite and it was the perfect size for our needs with a toddler. Separate bedroom, living room, nice size bathroom w/soaking tub and shower, very nice dressing area w/PLENTY of drawers and hanger space, small balcony w/two chairs, bar w/microwave and fridge-separate from stocked minibar fridge (which was so helpful to prepare meals/snacks for our toddler).
Perfect location, walking to all the great restaurants in the Gold Coast area and to the shopping on the Magnificent Mile. Also short cab rides to other great restaurants in the Near North area and shopping on the southern part of the Mag Mile.
One last thing on the staff, since all the staffs at the other hotels I mentioned were good. I think part of what made the Waldorf's staff exceptional was that there was always plenty of staff around. Even at checkout time, when things are crazy even at some of the best hotels, this was the quickest and most painless of checkouts. We had bell service, valet, and front desk checkout in shockingly under 10 minutes!
We will definitely stay here again in the future, and it is now at the top of our hotel list for Chicago!

2 Thank ILBadgerFan
Dear ILBadgerFan,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback regarding your last stay at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago. It was such a pleasure to have you as our guest. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your room with all of its unique amenities, the hotel location and that the entire team was able to promptly assist with any of your needs. Thank you so much for your loyalty and for letting us be on the top of the list of your favorite hotels. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!