14 people are viewing this hotel
$203
View deal
Reserve now, pay at stay
$209
Trip.com
$178
Hotels.com$209
Agoda.com$181
Etrip$233
All reviews millennium park front desk great location the bean recommend hotel millennial park espresso machine michigan ave art institute walking distance boutique hotel donuts heart of downtown chicago rooms are small definitely stay here again the theater district hotel is beautiful
Selected filters
Reviewed 30 June 2022

I really wanted to review this hotel well. It was poor, then great, then poor. very poor service.

We arrived late in the night Friday morning around 1am and there was someone at the desk to greet us. She checked us in and took a $100 a day (but no more than $300 total) incidental charge. Beware this includes $17 a day of that $100 that is non-refundable. The $17 a day includes 2 very small bottled water allowance a day, even though we only got water the night we checked in, nespresso pods (but you only get the two you start with due to house keeping never coming through) and access to the gym (even if you don't even use it). That part is a huge scam in my opinion. If I would have known I'd be paying an extra $68 to stay here for services I wasn't even using, I would have definitely stayed elsewhere.

We headed to our room. Upon arrival in our room 203, the room was incredibly small and looked nothing like the pictures. There was no side chair and the king was definitely the smallest "king" sized bed I've ever slept on. Carpets were horribly stained, there was a funky musky smell, the headboard had greasy hand prints all over it, and the view was literally looking directly at an alley at dumpsters.
I went back down to the front desk to ask why my room looked nothing like what I paid for, Yvonne was incredibly sweet and helpful and helped us into a cleaner, better room. Big thanks to Yvonne! You definitely turned our stay around for the better.
After that, the stay was fine. Water pressure is very much lacking, but that's just a personal preference. A/C and fan was fine. Lots of people on here complaining about the lack of house keeping, however they very clearly explain when you check in that there is only HK every 3 days and if you need something you can call the front desk before 5pm any day and they will send up what you need.
Can't really say that there is anything that remarkable about the hotel, except the service and location. If you are coming to Chicago to do the tourism bit, this location is prime.

We checked out Monday at 11am, but our flight didn't leave until 8pm that night. Thankfully they will hold your bags for you until your flight leaves so you don't have to drag them around the city.

Here is where the ride takes a huge turn for the worse.

After being home for two days, I checked my bank account and I noticed that I was charged twice for my stay. Once when I checked in friday morning for the full amount, and another for the full amount once I checked out monday. No return of either of those to my account.
I called and spent about 10 minutes on one call explaining it to the very lovely lady on the front desk phone named Dana. They called me back and then I spent over an hour on the phone between her and the manager Leah going back and forth, sending screen shots from my bank account of the charges, being put on hold, and attempting to explain that one of these just needs to come back to my account. This manager named Leah literally left me on hold for 40 minutes, then Dana came back on the phone and asked if she could help me. WHAT?! I re-explained to her that i was waiting on Leah to refund my card for the double charge and she said that all the managers were now in a meeting and couldn't help me. What meeting? you mean to tell me that the manager Leah left me on hold for 40 minutes to go to a meeting. Dana told me the GM would call me back. No one has called. And I assume by other reviewers that were also double charged, that no one is going to call and refund my money.

They've got lots of excuses like, "oh your card is somehow not on file to do the return"...how?! You literally charged my card twice. Or "I need my manager to do the return"...but all the managers are in meeting constantly. This is a HUGE mess, and a extremely upsetting. What if I had never taken a look at my account to even notice that they charged me double.

This call should have taken 10 minutes, 20 at most. I should not have to take hours out of my day just to get my own money back into my account.

I've now had to call my bank and file a dispute and they are launching an investigation with the Hotel Julian in order to get my money back.

THIS PLACE IS AN ABSOLUTE SCAM.

They can blame booking.com all they want for all the mishaps, however this is my 16th booking with Booking.com. And each time, it went seamless. This is the only messy booking I've every experienced in 9 years with that app. My advice is that if you are going to book with Hotel Julian, set the bar low and book directly with the hotel to avoid confusion.
And, save your receipt and check your bank account after you get home.

Room tip: Check your bank account after you check out!
1  Thank Crematears
Larry Irving, General Manager at Hotel Julian, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2022

Hi tianareither — We thank you for bringing this to our attention. While we are happy Yvonne made a great impression during your stay with her helpful hospitality, we are disheartened to learn about the billing discrepancy you describe. We have touched base with our management team and they confirmed they are in contact with you to resolve the misplaced charges. We sincerely apologize for any frustration this has caused. We appreciate your patience and cooperation while we sort out the situation. Again, we want to thank you for your feedback, and hope you'll consider staying with us again the next time your travels bring you to Chicago.

Reviewed 29 June 2022

Our stay at Hotel Julian was amazing. The hotel is so conveniently placed in downtown. The room was great. Super nice and clean. Room service did a great job of cleaning our room periodically. The staff was super friendly too. Yvonne was at the front desk most of the nights we were there. She checked us in, gave us such a great explanation of what the hotel provided and the amenities that we had. Every night that we walked in she made sure to give us waters which we appreciated so much. 10/10 experience will definitely be back.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Larry Irving, General Manager at Hotel Julian, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2022

Hi Mayalen S. — On behalf of the entire hotel team, thank you for sharing about your great stay! It is always encouraging to hear positive feedback. We strive to deliver excellent customer service in all aspects throughout the hotel and we’re happy to hear Yvonne really hit the mark during your stay! From our clean rooms to our convenient location, we're happy to hear you enjoyed your visit. Thanks again for your kind recommendation. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 27 June 2022

Hotel Julian is a wonderful Boutique hotel in the heart of Chicago. We loved our stay there! It's easy to walk to lots of attractions right from the hotel and the train is within steps. We took the red line train to Wrigley field so easily. I loved the bed too! so comfortable with wonderful pillows. I would stay again in a heartbeat! Staff was friendly and everything was spotless.

Date of stay: June 2022
Larry Irving, General Manager at Hotel Julian, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2022

Hi Caroline F. — Thank you for your kind review and for visiting us recently! We're so happy to hear you enjoyed your time with us, and that our location worked well for your trip to Chicago. From our friendly and welcoming team members, to our clean rooms with wonderful pillows — we're delighted to know you enjoyed yourself. Thanks again for your recommendation and please visit us again soon!

Reviewed 26 June 2022 via mobile

Awesome service. Leah at the front desk was wonderful. Iur riom was perfect abd we had a beautiful view if the park. She recommended wild berry for breakfast and it was delicious. Parking was easy she suggested the perfect garage and we got a discount. Quick couple getaway we will be back.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Hi Mel B. — Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent experience. We're thrilled to hear you found the room well appointed with beautiful views! And we're happy to know Leah made a lasting impression with her kind hospitality. We appreciate your positive review and look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 21 June 2022 via mobile

I had the best trip ever to Chicago due in large part to my stay at the Hotel Julian! It was such a wonderful experience because of Dana, the great accommodations and wonderful front desk service. Will definitely be back!

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Larry Irving, General Manager at Hotel Julian, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2022

Hi Olu — Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience with us. We're thrilled to hear you had a great stay. And we're happy to know Dana made a lasting impression with her wonderful hospitality. We appreciate your positive review and look forward to welcoming you back soon!