All reviewsgourmet breakfasttwo twin bedsa great place to staymodern amenitieskitchenettesuitedowntownctaroomycloset
Reviewed 12 March 2015

We traveled to the Chicago area in Feb 2015 for a 40th anniversary celebration in our family. The party was less than a mile from the Bridgeport B & B so rather than make the trip downtown after the party we chose to stay close by. What a great decision! We were initially attracted by the character of the area and the "neighborhood" feel. Parking was close by and entry during business hours is through the Cafe on the main floor. We were greeted by Kevin then the owner, Dave, both of whom are warm and informative. Be prepared for stairs because this is an older, well-maintained building with rooms on the 2nd and 3rd floor. We chose the 11th Ward Suite on the 2nd floor. Our understated but well appointed rooms were ready with lots of space. Though we didn't use the kitchenette to eat, I was glad to have a place to use the steam iron near a sink. Modern amenities like wifi, thumbprint locks, and a work desk area combine with a clawfoot tub and high ceilings. Much of the original features have been maintained with creature comforts like zone area heating/air conditioning. It was chilly when we first entered but warmed up quickly. Our bed was amazing! They apparently have the mattresses hand made. I usually miss our bed at home but not this time. The walls were decorated with prominent 11th Ward civil servant photos and Dave could tell a story about each one. While we were there only one night, we would definitely choose Bridgeport B & B again. We expected to take breakfast with the cafe crowd starting at 10 am on Sunday. Instead, Dave asked when we would like to have breakfast and what would we like from the menu? Since we wanted to get away early, we ate about 8:30 am. My husband had the unforgettable French toast while I enjoyed the goat cheese omelet. The cheese was SO creamy! If I had to pick a "last meal" this would be it. Portions were large and presented with flair. The decor of the cafe which has evolved from Dave's candy shop is filled with fascinating memorabilia and a local-artist rendered chalkboard filled with local sites and celebrities. We could have talked to Dave about Chicago history all day. Dave has, by-the-way, an amazing singing voice which we got a little taste of as he showed us the ballroom portion of the building complete with stage, grand piano, loft area, and organ. Dave and Kevin have done an amazing job repurposing an older building while keeping the delightful charm of the place intact. We have traveled extensively to B & Bs in the US and Canada and this is one of the best experiences we've have. Don't miss it if you love local color, great food and entertaining hosts. Close to lots of great things in Chicago. We went to the Field Museum of Natural History after we left and it only took 10 minutes! Sorry Dave that it took me several weeks to post this - our new grand baby arrived shortly after we returned home.

Room Tip: My husband is a very light sleeper. 11th ward was a VERY quiet room.
  • Stayed: February 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank TwoOverfifties
Reviewed 4 November 2014

We knew this would be an exceptional place to stay when Dave burst out of the café to greet us on the pavement as we got out of the taxi from the airport.
When visiting a big city it's all too easy to stay in an anonymous chain hotel, but this is somewhere quite different. Dave told us that when he decided to start a B&B he aimed to get both the bed and the breakfast right. Well, in our view he succeeded: the bed was big and comfy, the suite we stayed in was roomy and comfortable, and the breakfast just has to be seen (and eaten) to be believed.
A great place to stay in a fascinating part of Chicago with an up and coming artists' community. Just 10 minutes walking and bus to the Red Line, so pretty handy for downtown.
And when we needed a lift Dave ran us all the way to Union Station.

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 October 2014

What a great experience. The owner, Dave Samber made us feel right at home the minute we arrived. We arrived late and had plans for the evening. After our cab didn't show, Dave drove us all the way over to Lincoln Park so we wouldn't be late. Plus he has great stories! We stayed in the White Sox suite which was very quirky and fun. Super quiet at night. Breakfast was terrific! Great food and service. Martin and his staff took good care of us. Highly recommend the Gospel Brunch on Sundays. Too much fun! The B&B was close to the White Sox stadium and the train station with an easy commute into downtown. The neighborhood looks interesting and seemed safe. Next time I would love to spend more time exploring. Appears that there are quite a few artists in residence in the area. I will definitely be coming back again. Maybe to watch the Twins beat the Sox!!

Room Tip: The White Sox suite was super quiet at night! Was suprised how quiet
  • Stayed: October 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 October 2014

Dave, the owner makes you feel like an old friend from the minute you arrive. He made sure we got settled and had everything we needed. He provided information and directions; he even drove us to the train station. He's also the chef and the included, full cooked-to-order breakfast is not to be missed. We were lucky enough to be there on a Sunday so we got to experience the Gospel brunch! Sing along as you become the choir or just enjoy the music.
We stayed in the Mayor's suite which has three bedrooms, a kitchenette and 2 seating areas. The suite was very comfortable and was like being in a home instead of a hotel. I especially liked the big bath sheets instead of the usual bath-size towels most hotels provide.
The rest of the staff was just as nice and helpful. It's a great, quiet little spot that's an easy train ride to downtown Chicago.

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank blista
Reviewed 2 October 2014

If you are ever in Chicago then you have to stay at the Bridgeport Bed and Breakfast. The staff was amazing and treated us like royalty. We were in the Sox suite and it was like a loft w/ 4 beds with leather couch and chairs, The location was perfect if you are going to a White Sox game. The area was quiet and very unique with a lot of history. I was told that the area was shady by friends of mine before I visited and this couldn't be farther from the truth. I will only stay at Bridgeport B&B in the future when I visit Chicago. It was like visiting old friends and my girlfriend did not want to leave. I cannot say enough nice things about Dave, Kevin and all of the staff. Also the best breakfast ever! Thanks so much for the hospitality and letting us stay at your Bed and Breakfast!

Room Tip: I highly recommend the Sox suite