“Great location, room, and service”

theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton
Ranked #34 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Jackson, Mississippi
“Great location, room, and service”
Reviewed 21 September 2012

The Wit is downtown within a fair walking distance from many attractions. More importantly, the rooms were very nice and had a modern style. The staff was very friendly and helpful. They stored pizza in their fridge for me and gave suggestions on things to do and places to eat (Giordano's pizza was amazing!). And, of course, you get a free, warm cookie. I'll definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
GeneralManager201, Guest Relations Manager at theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this review, 21 January 2015
Dear Zach F,

Thank you for sharing your experience at theWit Hotel! We hope to see you back soon. Have a marvelous afternoon!

At your Service,

theWit Guest Relations Team
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (423)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 15 September 2012

I stayed here last week for business and overall I would say I had an enjoyable stay. The hotel is in a very convenient location right next to the rail station, shops, restaurants, Millenium Park, and reallly anything else you could need. I arrived mid-morning and although checkin wasn't until later that afternoon the front desk agent was happy to get me into a room early. That was great because after having had an early flight, I really appreciated being able to take time in the room to relax and freshen up before rushing off to do my afternoon stuff. Checkin was smooth and the front desk staff and bell staff were very pleasant and polite. Lots of smiles at me as I walked through the lobby! The room was clean and spacious enough for my needs.

However, there were a few things that I thought were a couple of things that I would like to comment on:
- The bed was a little firm for my taste. I know that's a matter of personal preference but I've stayed at many properties within the Hilton Family and this is the first time I've ever thought this. Also, I think housekeeping was having a laundry problem that day because instead of a fitted sheet, they had tucked a flat sheet over the mattress and it kept slipping. Not bad. Just weird.
- Bathroom was clean and shiny :) but I would have to agree with the other comments about the sliding door being heavy and annoying. And that fancy flat sink that is above the counter only helps splash water all around the counter onto my stuff. Just sayin'
- NOISE: Okay this was a BIG problem. They really need to do something about this. Although the rooms are well insulated from each other and the hall, the nice wall of windows conducts noise from the outside like crazy! All evening and into the night I could hear sirens and honking from the street even though I was up on the16th floor. And the train! Ugh! They need to get noise-blocking curtains or something. This totally ruins the otherwise great ambiance of the room.
- Although the staff was very polite and courteous, I have to say, calling the hotel operator the "help line" is a total joke. The two times I called, she was very polite and nice but also fake and disingenious. The first time I called, I had a question about how long it takes to get to the airport- a question any chicagoan should know. Her response was to not even try and just transfer me to the front desk/concierge who answered my question and actually made me like I was talking to a real person rather than a machine. Second time I called, I had a question about where I could print my boarding pass in the hotel. Rather than even try to answer it I got the same fake sounding "My pleasure to connect you... to the concierge". Umm, why not just have the concierge do your job? I feel like this is not her fault, it really sounded like she was just doing her job, but apparently her job is to just deliver the same three lines to me as she transfers me to someone with better autonomy. Training there needs work. If you're going to call it the helpline then you should empower her actually use more than the same few phrases before transfering me. After these two calls, I stopped calling and just decided to walk down to the lobby where the "real people" worked.
-The mini bar--- Check your bill before you leave! It bills you based off sensors so if you move anything on there it bills you for it. In my case, it was a small $18 bottle of red wine that is not even in the fridge but propped up precariously on the shelf next to it. It's on the same shelf that housekeeping places the coffee cups for the coffee maker on so of course when I slid the shelf out to get a coffee cup, the bottle slipped and... ca-chiiing! It sounds like the front desk is well aware of this because when I mentioned this at checkout, he joked about it and took it off my bill no problem.

Like I said, overall I still had a good experience and I would stay again. But I just think this property has a few things to work out- especially the street noise thing!

Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 13 September 2012

Once I left the streets of chicago I felt like I was in Miami. The hotel is fresh and modern. I usually stay across the street at the Renaissance but decide to try something new. This hotel is hopping with 20 & 30 year olds. The roof top bar draws a crowd at night. The Lake & State restaurant had a killer breakfast; bloody mary's, awesome banana french toast, red velvet pancakes, mouth watering mexican eggs.

The rooms were spacious. My room had 2 queen beds with grey tones and a very cool bathroom with a Kohler sink and glass shower. The rolling door to the bathroom was a bit heavy to open and close. My room even had a glimpse of Lake Michigan.

This hotel is on the" L", 1 block to the subway and cabs are excess able.

All the best restaurants of Chicago are within a few blocks.

The hotel is in the heart of the theater district.

I will definitely return for a future stay.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 11 September 2012

Enjoyed the stay at the Wit, the roof top bar is great too. We checked in on a Saturday night, that's the night to see the roof top, It's really hopping with elite locals. The staff was always friendly and very helpful. Will return again

Room Tip: Corner suites have a 180* view, fab!
Carlsbad, California
Reviewed 11 September 2012

If they had not given me the Doubletree Chocolate Chip cookie upon check-in I might have forgotten it was part of the chain. The rooms were nicely upgraded from a standard DTree. Good bedding, decent shower/bath products. Clean and quiet room. The workout facility was nicely ventilated and well maintained...it could have used a bit more equipment for this size hotel. 1 day it was packed...so the next morning I went earlier to not have to wait. The rooftop bar is a scene...overpriced drinks and mediocre service. Very easy access to the train (blueline easy from O'Hare). I'd definitely stay here again when I'm back to the Windy City.