“Great Location, hotel and staff”

theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton
Ranked #34 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Kansas City, Missouri
“Great Location, hotel and staff”
Reviewed 20 February 2012

The Wit is a great hotel which has many modern styles and touches without being cold or industrial. The staff is very helpful and professional. Rooms are roomy but can be a little noisy if you are facing the L (east side of the hotel). This didn’t bother us too much but others may be more sensitive to the noise. The top floor bar is great and in the summer a great area to sit outside. Location is perfect next to the L and an easy walk to the Mag Mile.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (419)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 18 February 2012

Very smooth flirtly type hotel.. Lots of people watchinmg etc. great for singles. bad for kids. good rooftop and lively restaurant. Barmen up their own trousers a bit but apart from that very cool hotel bang in middle of downtown chicago

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Aurora, Colorado
Reviewed 16 February 2012

Pros: Front desk and door staff are very attentive, friendly and welcoming here. In addition the housekeeper had a friendly greeting whenever I passed her in the hallway. Front desk offered to store luggage without prompting when I arrived early and the room was not ready and the bellman was friendly without being pushy. Service credit offered immediately for housekeeping issue. Close to all CTA transit (Red Subway 1/2 block south, Brown/Green/Oragne 'L' stairway outside front door.)

Cons: No free Wi-Fi. Only free printing in business center for boarding pass and nothing else. Restaurant staff was mediocre. Some items in room were not cleaned. Mediocre service in the on-site restaurant. Only fair housekeeping.

I visited this location from Thursday, February 9 - Monday, February 13, 2012.

Wi-Fi: You must pay to use WiFi here. In all avenues. Public areas, your room, in the business center. In the public areas and your room it will be $9.95 + tax (around $11.15) per day for the basic speed suitable for checking email and Facebook-ing. There are 2 other speed levels that go up in speed and price but I did not use them.

The Room: Kinda half-assed cleaning. Shower curtain smelled like mildew. Electric outlet in bathroom had dust around it. Bath only had one toilet paper roll (so good luck if you run out before the maid comes through). Room window had faceprint/face grease on it for the entire 4 day stay. Top sheet on bed did not fit correctly and came off once. Mysterious brown stain (water like) on side of bed. Display phone has dim button but even at that level it will be way too bright for people who like to sleep in a dark room. By the same accord the crack under the door is wide enough to light up most of the room at night. I did not touch the mini bar. $7 bottles of Fiji water that were $4 at the nearby State-Randolph Walgreens.

Housekeeping: Fair. Bed was made each day except Sunday for some reason. Signage in the room indicated beds would be changed by the 3rd day of stay - mine were not as the brown stain on the side stayed for my entire 4 day visit. Smears on glass for entire 4 day stay. Moldy shower curtain smell eventually dissipated on its own. Pre-requested 2 additional towels that never showed up. One day there were 2. Next day 3. Then back to 2.

Public Areas: Overall very nice. Elevators seemed a bit slow and having to insert a room card into a finicky card reader (located at knee-level, really?) to go up was an annoyance. The birds chirping, seascape bell clanging playing over the PA system in the hallway was cute at first but by day 2 rapidly lost its charm.) Did not have a chance to use the fitness center or spa.

Business Center: Positives included free boarding pass printing for airlines. Negatives include: 10 minute complimentary internet, after that it jumps to something like $1 per minute of use. Printing is $1/page B&W or $2/page color outside the free boarding pass. All use requires the scan of a credit card (even free use, so be sure to log off before the free time is up). Why this could not be integrated better into charging at least to your Folio I do not know.

Restaurant: Mediocre at best. Restaurant claimed operation until MIDNIGHT. Came in at 9 pm and the hostesses were so engrossed in talking that they ignored me as I walked right by (no sign asking to Wait to be Seated). They then came to life and lead me to a table. Followed by them repeating the gossip corner. Kind of unprofessional for a hotel of this price point.

Server was not especially speedy or slow and only seemed to want to get an order - nothing more. Ordered French Onion Soup as a started. The bowl arrived scorching hot, ironically the contents were only luke warm. They managed to cheat Physics here somehow.

Ordered burger and fries. Burger was OK, nothing special for the price. Fries tasted like they came from Sysco or some other warehouse and didn't taste particularly fresh. Beer was okay and appropriately cold.

Extended Checkout: No additional charge. Spoke to the front desk and they were able to give me a 2:30p check out for which I was most grateful.

Final Checkout: No TV checkout, had to go to desk. Front desk staff Monday at 2 pm was friendly and efficient. Mentioned stain on bed and they immediately credited my bill for the meal in the restaurant with no further protests (~ $30).

Strongly Recommend: Asking for a room in the mid-floors of the building. Loud nightclub on 27 that reverberates through 26 and maybe lower. I was on 15 and didn't hear any of it. In addition the "L" runs to the south of the building along Lake St. If noise bothers you avoid this side. I found it comforting but I grew up in Chicago. Also, during club nights (Fri & Sat) you will not be able to use a keycard to access 27. You must go down to the lobby to use the one special priority elevator on these nights. A PITA for registered guests but I can only guess some people were line jumping to get to 27 where the club is.

Room Tip: South side rooms (along Lake St) will hear 'L' at night. Try to book mid-level (I was on 15...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank stevestr
PFamilyMiami, General Manager at theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this review, 17 February 2012
Thanks for all the great feedback regarding staff satisfaction and personal critiques of so many parts of the guest experience.

Perfection is our team's goal, and all feedback is reviewed and shared for both accountability and continuous improvement.

-Mark Shouger
Fullerton, California
Reviewed 15 February 2012

We booked this trip for our anniversary and stayed a week. We could not pay for a suite for the entire stayed but booked it for our last two nights. When we arrived the front desk staff was wonderful. The greeted us warmly and were extremely polite. The noticed we booked the suite for the last two nights and gave it to us for the entire stay. The room was absolutely amazing. We had a great view of the Chicago River in our two bedroom suite. The decor was all modern but very comfortable and we even had a kitchen. The bed was so comfortable I did not want to get out of it in the morning. My wife was a huge fan of the giant bathroom and huge soaking tub. I could go on and on about how wonderful the room was but it is only half the story. We were there a week and seemed to have met every person on the staff there. They are all wonderful, polite and helpful. I was always treated like someone special. The bell staff was top notch too. They always held the door open for us no matter how busy they were. The only annoyance was the drunks on the weekend using the elevator to go up to the hip bar on the roof. But the staff always made sure we had an elevator. I would highly recommend this hotel and we liked it so much we are going back again this summer and staying at the Wit.

Room Tip: avoid the top floor as you can hear the bass from the hip club late into the night.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank gfourman
chicago
Reviewed 13 February 2012

We stayed Friday night the 10th at the Wit. We arrived at about 730pm and valet was quick and wonderful. The check in process went so easy and friendly. The Concierge on duty was so nice and sweet to our daughter. Bell Person who brought up the luggage was great and the knowledge about our room and features was great.
I have to say the room lacks a bit. We had a 2 queen bedded room. There were two wash clothes, 2 hand towels and 3 bath towels. I could have called for more but I should not have to. With 2 queens they should know in Housekeeping that type of room usually has more than 2 people in it. Next was the dust we could write our names on the desk. I do understand with the heat on and this time of year dust does happen and the furniture is condusive to dust. The lamp between the two beds has two bulbs of which one was broke. I wanted to order dinner from in room dining there was no menu in the room I checked the on screen on the phone all I could get it to do was call room service. Yes I can call and ask for this but I do not want to I want it there. The beds were ok not the most comfortable in the city mattress wise but the comforter was great. The heating system was loud in our room and that made it hard to sleep. When taking a shower the hand held kept moving and spraying out to the floor. The only other thing I did not like about the room is the bathroom door is not easy to open and close. Would I stay again? I have to say I enjoy the city North of the river. I felt like unless you were there for business or to party at the Rooftop (which is incredible) this is not for us. If you have theater tickets and want a close hotel great location.
This was a hard review to write I really wanted to love the hotel and I have seen other rooms that were much nicer than ours and yes the suites are nice. The staff is all sooooo nice and easy to work with so I really just would suggest pick up on the little things and it could really be above average.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank nguyens
PFamilyMiami, General Manager at theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this review, 14 February 2012
We enjoy the critiques. Our team, in all areas, aim to impress.

Please be assured that each and every detail in reviews are shared with appropriate teams, and actions are taken to ensure continuous improvement as we work towards "perfection."

Our brand and review-site rankings for staff service, cleanliness and accommodations are typically in the top percentages. We will ALL respond.

Thank you.