“Best Deal for the Value and Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Ohio House Motel

Ohio House Motel
Ranked #119 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Best Deal for the Value and Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2012

I was very happy with the room and the 24 service they had. I think this is a great deal, if you're on the budget, and need mainly sleeping amenities. The parking is free, and the lot is fenced. We walked everywhere, to the Hancock and the Navy Pier. Kids had a blast for Breakfast at the next door McDonalds - which is the cleanest, and the best one I've ever been to - with the museum and interactive stuff they have. The 24 hrs Walgreens, two blocks down, was also very useful. This location is great, the kids were so excited to be in the middle of everything. In spite of the winter weather it was easy to have them walking around. There was an attraction on each block they walked on, like Rainforest Cafe, or the Portillo's and Barnelli's restaurant. The purpose for our Chicago visit was to visit the downtown and the Museums, and this Hotel was awesome for our needs.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank AnaMKE
Larry J, General Manager at Ohio House Motel, responded to this review, 26 November 2016
Thank you so much for your review of The Ohio House Motel. It sounds like you really enjoyed our neighborhood and took advantage of all that it had to offer! You really can walk to everything from here. I hope that you enjoyed your time here in Chicago, and that we can welcome you back sometime soon.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Michigan City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2011

My husband and I stayed here for one night for our annual Christmas getaway. For the money, you can't ask for more. Parking is free and the lot is fenced. There is always someone at the front desk, which overlooks the parking lot. It's within walking distance to the loop and Michigan Ave. There have been some recent updates such a tile in the bathroom and carpet. According to the front desk, more updates are scheduled. The bed was comfortable and the room spacious enough. Everything was clean. I don't need expensive accomodations just for sleeping. We also had breakfast at the cafe. It was good and inexpensvie and it was like stepping back into 1960. If you just need a place to sleep, this is a great little motel.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room on the second floor.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank indianatraveler57
Hello! Thank you so much for taking the time to share a bit about your experience here at The Ohio House Motel. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time in Chicago, and that your guest room was a comfortable place for you to relax and refresh. I hope that we will be able to welcome you back sometime soon!
Miami Springs, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2011

My family and I stayed there This weekend....If u want good service ohio house is not the place to go my husband stood outside in 35 degree wheather waiting to get service there was noone at front desk for atleast 5hours but their suppose to be open 24hours, for anyone who dont know chicago is very cold at this time of year, we vacate here every year but you have got to believe we will not be back next year..

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank stephenie H
lmanager, General Manager at Ohio House Motel, responded to this review, 20 December 2011
Thank you for choosing The Ohio House Motel during your recent stay in Chicago and informing us of your concerns during your stay. Our Front office IS available 24 hours to serve you, however the person was at that time assisting another guest. We apologize for any inconvienance.
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2011

nice little hotel , best location. rooms are little outdated but for the price, you can't beat it. close to most attractions and very reasonable. Only thing, the internet signal very weak. After connectiong to internet, you would loose signal in minute or so. but as far as rest. good , cheap place to stay.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank shahpour t
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I assure you that this has been addressed by proper management. We truly appreciate your feedback!
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2011

I was extremely skeptical staying here, The price seemed too good to be true. Upon arrival I was none too impressed with the courteousness of the staff as they were very curt and short. There was free parking available which started me to being warmed up. The room was semi large, about as big as I have gotten in downtown Chicago for twice the price, and the bathroom was the same. They have recently remodeled which was basically new carpet, paint and wallpaper. The furnishings are hysterically old as evidenced by the nightstand which at one time was a two way radio to the front desk and a "magic fingers" massage control. Also, the bathroom fixtures were rusted and decayed like a wrecked ships hull.
That being said, the bed was super comfy (free of bed bugs too as I always check), I felt safe in the room and I slept well.
The linens are sub par but adequate and the room was adequately clean.
There were a few drunks yelling at 4am and some other noise from the street but really, for what we paid in this area I was very pleased. We felt safe, it was clean and the bed was comfy.
I often travel on the cheap as I rarely spend much time in the room. I would stay here again. If you require an upscale hotel dont stay here. If you only need a clean safe place to stay and a reasonable rate go ahead. I will stay here again knowing what to expect.
Word of caution, there is no AC, if its warm it could be a problem. The room was extremely warm in October without the heat on. The price is right and its not a flea bag Motel, although it gives that impression at first.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PHXTrainer
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments. We apologize for not meeting your expectations. As a rule, our housekeeping department is extremely diligent in making sure that our guest rooms are absolutely clean and fresh.
I will review your comments with our executive housekeeper, and reinforce our policies regarding room cleanliness and attention to detail.