“Too Cool for Granny”

Hotel Felix
Ranked #118 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 26 April 2012

This hotel is located on N. Clark and Huron which is convenient and quiet. What lured me was the hype about this being a green hotel. Uh, I didn't see it. They did not ask guests whether linens needed to be laundered each day. There were no separate bins to recycle and no instructions about it.

Since this is a hip party hotel for the "20 somethings", they rock all night on weekends but the hotel security does ask them to pipe down after 10:30PM. Otherwise, the staff is kind but not terribly helpful.

I asked to be placed away from the pop and ice machines. That didn't happen.

I had to request an extra blanket three times before I got one.

The desk lamps give off a quarter's diameter of light. Literally. I couldn't read at my desk. I was told that this was "green" but it worked like a pen light or flash light. However, it could be that the new generation only uses Kindles, Iphones, Ipads and lap tops. They literally had no traditional desk lamp on the premises.

Speaking of Iphones, there were no phone books in the room. Maybe they are now obsolete since younger generations obtain this data from their portable electronic media sources.

They did have a business center from which I obtained phone numbers and addresses.

Coffee is served in the lobby each morning.

So to get data or get awake, I had to leave my room which happened frequently and was not relaxing. Again, I am not sure that relaxation other than partying is the reason folks come to this hotel.

The rooms are very small which would have been okay except that the wooden base of the bed is designed to hit the guests in the shins. Guests in the business center were laughing about that as we hobbled to our guest computers.

It took me a half-hour to figure out that the dresser drawers were in the bed base. There is not alot of storage space in the room.

Bottom line, come here if you want to party and/or tote electronic media sources. Forget it if you need to work and you still use non-electronic media to read and write.

Room Tip: Go there to party and you won't care about the room or its amenities.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
georgejordan, General Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2012

Thank you for your review following your visit with us. As Chicago's first LEED Certified hotel, Hotel Felix' design includes many ongoing eco-friendly efficiencies such as in-room motion sensors to control heat and air conditioning; fluorescent lighting throughout the property and water waste reduction plumbing that saves one million gallons of water annually. We also install recycled products in everything from artwork to fabrics and surfaces, flooring and wall coverings. Recycled materials, low-emitting paints, carpets, and a green cleaning program are used throughout the property. Please let us know if you have any questions and we hope to see you again soon. Thank you, have a great day!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 25 April 2012

As other reviews have already claimed, the hotel is clean, beautiful and well located. That being said, I'll add a few things that may be important to some people. The beds are REALLY soft. If you have a bad back like I do, this may be important to know. There are 4 different pillows to choose from, which may help you. The shower looks like it will be amazing, but the water pressure isn't impressive. This may matter to you if you have longer hair. You will not be taking a quick shower. Also, try not to stay next to the elevator. Through the thin walls you can hear the 'bing' every time it arrives on your floor. Otherwise, the staff is great and it's clean, so if you don't need a big room and the things above don't matter to you, then I definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms near the elevator are noisy.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for your review following your stay with us. We're so happy you enjoyed our soft and comfy bedding and chic, urban decor. We hope to see you again soon! Thanks again.

Reviewed 16 April 2012

Exceptional stay. Friendly staff, warm welcome, close to magnificent mile, and very comfortable accommodations among beautiful decor with European feel.

• Stayed: April 2012
georgejordan, General Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2012

Thank you for your review following your visit with us. We're so pleased you enjoyed your stay and our convenient location in the heart of downtown Chicago. We work hard to make sure our guests have a wonderful experience with us and we are so thrilled that you did. Thank you and we hope to see you again soon. Have a great day!

Reviewed 14 April 2012

One of the best stays I've had in Chicago! I've stayed at just about every four star hotel on the Magnificient Mile. The Felix is right up there. Clean rooms, excellent staff, comfortable bed

Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank heyblueoc
georgejordan, General Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2012

Thank you for your review! We're so happy you enjoyed our wonderful service and comfy bedding. Thank you again and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 12 April 2012

I have been booking hotels on line for years and have used many on-line companies I have even used hotwire.come where I didnt' get to choose the hotel before and had not problem. Yet this was the worst experience I have ever had. I booked a room with two double beds for 2 adults and two children. My daughter in law and I were taking my two granddaughers to American Girl for the weekend. We arrived about 9:30 to discover they had us ina room with one queen bed. I said that can't be, I asked fro two doubel beds and there are 4 of us. No, they are right in small print it says bed size isn't quarenteed. It never occurred to me that anyone would think you could put 4 people in a single queen bed. So I asked for a roll away, a cot soemthing we could put at least one of the adults on. No---- they have NOTHING. They did bring us an extra blanket to put on the floor. And the other reviews about small room size is right, there was barely enough room to fit one adult between the bed and the wall. So I spent $300 too spend two nights sleeping on a very small floor space. There is no restaurant in the hotel, and no juice in the vending machines. So if you don't wnat to get dressed and leave the hotel you have to give the kids soda pop. The topper was that I had promised the girls we would have breakfast at the Rain Forest Cafe. Never occurreed to me they wouldn't be open for breakfast. I have visited several of these in various locations and always have gone for breakfast. Bottom line is I should have checked things out more thoroughly, and will do so in the future. But you can be sure I will not be booking anything through priceline.

Room Tip: Don't take more than 2 people. That is the maximum that can comfortably fit in a room
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank mimifreddog

Thank you for your review following your stay with us. We book guests in rooms based on what is available at the time of booking. There is a restaurant (Elate) that is adjacent to the hotel - it's conveniently accessible through our lobby doors. We do our best to please our guests and on your next visit if you have any questions please don't hesitate to contact us. Thank you again!