“Great service, great location, small city rooms”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel Cass
Ranked #110 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Portage, Michigan
“Great service, great location, small city rooms”
Reviewed 26 January 2012

This is a city hotel. A rebranded historical hotel in downtown Chicago. Formally known as the Cass Hotel (that what all the cabbies call it), it is a 1920 hotel with the small room you would expect for something built during that period.

The staff was outstanding , desk staff greated people by name, bell men were always around to hail a cab or take a bag, the housekeeping staff always said hello and smiled. Every request during my 5 day stay was met with a smile.

For a older hotel the breakfast space was ample, and due to the location it seconds for a relaxing lounge space. If you have a group this would be the place to meet, the rooms are too small for guest to hang out comfortably. Food was hot and on schedule.

They are having issues with the key cards. Many guest including myself had to have keys remade several times. I hope they fix this soon. It might be worth calling before booking if this would be a real inconvenience for you trip.

Location could not be better. Just a few blocks north of the river, there is many options for food and drink. Catch the Second City History of Chicago show in old town. The hotel is two blocks from the red line. Using the subway it is less than 10 minutes from the door to inside the loop.

The few homeless are found a couple of blocks south toward the loop area. It is customary in the area to have your left over boxed up and pass them to the homeless on your walk home. Just meet their eye and they will politely ask you if you have leftovers. I always received a warm thank you for my generosity.

Parking is a bit expensive, $40 valet, and $39 self park. Taxi from the airport is only $38 and the blue line is only $5. So unless you need a car, don’t bring one. I parked in a lot on the west side of the river for only $10 per day, but it’s a 3/4 mile walk.

Room Tip: It is reported that room that end with "8" are larger.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Kazoo_Bruce
HotelCass, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel Cass, responded to this review, 1 February 2012
Thank you for your detailed response, we appreciate you taking the time to do so. We are glad that you enjoyed our convenient location in the heart of downtown. We hope to see you in Chicago again soon.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Durham, NC
Reviewed 26 January 2012

I was attending a conference and decided to go in a day early. I was not able to book a room at the "conference" hotel so I picked the Holiday Inn Express. I wish I did not have to leave! I must admit the room was very small (I have traveled a lot to Europe so I know small hotels), but this room had everything you needed! Plus no one should be in their room because they should be out seeing the sights. The staff was very helpful and the place was clean. The best part was the location! I can't wait to go back!

I forgot to mention that the rate I received was much lower than the Hampton Inn or similar hotels.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
Thank you for taking the time to write a response. We are happy to hear that you took advantage of our amenities offered and our convenient location downtown. We hope you join us again soon.
Aurora, Illinois
Reviewed 23 January 2012

Stayed at Hotel Cass on January 19, for 4 nights in corner room 1508. I`m Platinum Ambassador within Priority Club and was very impressed with their treatment of me and my status. I originally booked a queen room but requested a king on my reservation. When I checked in, the lady at the front desk recognized my status, welcomed me and addressed me by my last name, upgraded me to a corner king room and in addition credited my account 2500 bonus points just for being platinum. The hotel itself is completely renovated and everything has a new look. The room is very high tech, huge TV, lots of outlets, night-reading lamps on the bed, brand new carpet, wonderful high-pressure shower head and even a safe. Service was exceptional especially considering that it`s only a Holiday Inn Express. It rivals the full service hotels and even better than most of them. From valet to front desk to housekeeping and breakfast attendants, everyone seemed ready to help and always smiled and greeted me with good morning and have a great day. The head valet guy always opened the door for everyone coming in and going out of the hotel. And of course, free WI FI and full hot breakfast is included which is a great value. There are two elevators and they are fast and efficient. Valet parking is $40 (in and out privileges) and is very competitive considering that most surrounding hotels charge at least $45 or $50. If you want great value, a clean and modern boutique hotel, at a great location and with courteous and professional staff, the Cass Holiday Inn Express is the place for you.

Room Tip: Ask or book a corner room. They are even quieter. There are only 4 suites so the chances of being up...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a response. We are glad to hear you enjoyed all that we have to offer. Your kind words will be passed onto our staff. We hope to see you in the Windy City again.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 19 January 2012

I generally stay in far more high end or sophisticated hotels but I was meeting my son, who is moving to the city, and who booked the Cass as an economical alternative. The hotel was in a terrific location, had a decent breakfast, free wifi, was clean and the staff were all helpful, knowledgeable and pleasant. The rooms (we had 2) were very small but the shower was excellent, the towels good, the tv large. The hotel is old but the halls are bright and seems very well run. It was a pleasant surprise and excellent value on Expedia.

Room Tip: the 02 is a smaller line. corners are bigger
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
HotelCass, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel Cass, responded to this review, 24 January 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write this response. We appreciate your kind words and they will be passed onto our staff. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the amenities that we have to offer. Hope to see you again soon and we hope that your son's move was a good one!
Oxford, Mississippi
Reviewed 16 January 2012

The service was not atypical of most Holiday Inn Express hotels, but the staff was unusally accommodating. I highly recommend this place. It is also at most a 15 min. walk from most anything site, restaurant, or shopping area downton.

Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
HotelCass, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel Cass, responded to this review, 19 January 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. . We are happy to hear that the location was a convenient spot for you and your kind words will be passed on to our staff. We hope to see you again soon.