10,177 results
All reviews executive level empire room lockwood restaurant beautiful lobby beautiful hotel art institute the loop classic hotel street level millennium park a hilton honors member lobby bar rooms are small an older hotel downtown chicago two double beds concierge desk

Background:
I am retired, and I am a Hilton Honors diamond member. My Chicago visit was a pleasure trip, not business. Diamond members receive various perks when available.

Location:
The Palmer House is well located in downtown Chicago, only a block or two from Michigan Ave and Millennium Park with the famous Bean. The Palmer House’s front entrance, on Monroe St. between Wabash St. and State Street, is remarkable with its expansive portico lit by hundreds of individual bulbs. During October the bulbs are pink in support of Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Well done Palmer House!

Check-In:
Check-in at the Palmer House Hilton Honors desk is prompt, accurate, and friendly. The employees at the Honors desk seem to be the most courteous, and offer assistance for whatever you may need. I did not have any additional requests. I was given a room on the 23rd floor executive level.

Room:
The executive level rooms are quite spacious. My room had two queen beds, two full bathrooms, two closets, a desk with electric outlets for charging various electronics, a mini-bar, mini-fridge, dresser, and a luxurious, upholstered sofa. The large room was comfortable, and also convenient to the executive lounge. The room had individual temperature controls.

Bathrooms:
Both bathrooms were identical. Plenty of thick bath towels, and toiletry amenities, plus a hair-dryer in each bathroom. The double shower heads provided a rain-like shower, relaxing and soothing.

Executive Lounge:
The executive lounge is on the 23rd floor. There is an ‘express’ executive floor elevator, accessible with your 23rd floor room key. The lounge has several big-screen TVs, and numerous comfortable seating options. The executive lounge offers hot breakfast in the morning, and hot hors d’oeuvres in the late-afternoon. In-between serving hours there are snacks and soft drinks available. I frequented the lounge each day for breakfast. The service is exceptional. I did not get the name of the man that warmly greeted everyone each day. Please thank him for his hospitality.

Lobby area:
The lobby area is simply gorgeous! Looking at the ceiling is like looking at the Sistine Chapel in Rome! The art is absolutely beautiful and must be seen to be believed. The lobby furnishing are plentiful and organized for relaxed conversations. The lobby is ornate with even an opulent old-world character and ambiance; charming, warm, and welcoming.

Lobby Bar:
Sadly, the lobby bar experience was disappointing for two reasons. 1-The items are exceedingly over-priced. 2-The bar tenders were not friendly. I wanted to pay my bill with my room number, however, my fault, I did not remember my room number. I told the bar tender that I was on the 23rd floor, executive level, and he questioned me about it. I signed my bill with my name, and asked if he could look up my room number to confirm. He said he would do that later at the registration desk. Having felt as if he did not believe me, I went up to my room and brought back the small folder with my room number on it. I showed it to the same bar tender. He then said OK, and I left. Too bad for this poor incident in a remarkably positive overall experience at the Palmer House.

Restaurants:
I did not dine at the Palmer House restaurants. There are excellent restaurants in the area such as The Berghoff, that are at the top of my list for dining.

Shops and Conveniences:
There is no shortage of shops and conveniences on the street level at the Palmer House, including a Starbucks, convenience food, etc.

Will I return to the Palmer House:
Yes, most definitely. I recommend the Palmer House when visiting Chicago.

• Stayed: October 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank Jeffery E
AlhajiA8, Manager at Palmer House A Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hello Jeffery E,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Palmer House! We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed experiencing the atmosphere of our historic hotel. We specialize in outstanding customer service and our goal is an all-around positive guest experience.

Thank you for taking the time to describe your stay in such detail and for providing helpful tips to potential future guests of our property. You really provided in-depth and invaluable information on the different aspects of our property. Additionally, please accept our apology for the area where you noticed an improvement was necessary. Rest assured, your comments will be a crucial factor for our team as we continuously search for ways to improve our service.

It is always a great feeling for our team whenever our guests return to our hotel for another dose of the antiquity within our walls. We truly hope to see you again at the Palmer House!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Our (standard) room was quite spacious and comfortable. The breakfast was very good and well worth the small ($15? per person--tip not included) additional fee. Parking is expensive ($46--which is the 'discounted rate'--a $3 savings), but in keeping with downtown Chicago's comparable offerings. Would stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Eric B

Hello Eric B,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Palmer House. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed experiencing the atmosphere of our historic hotel. Not only do we appreciate hearing from you, but we know that potential guests will truly find your comments helpful in making their decision to stay with us!

It is always a pleasing feeling whenever our guests return to our hotel for another dose of the antiquity within our walls. We look forward to another opportunity to showcase our exceptional customer service to you during a future stay!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

My 18 yo daughter and I stayed one night. We didn’t want to take the train home (we live about 30 miles west of Chicago) late at night after seeing the Ed Sheeran concert at Soldier Field. I’ve stayed at Palmer House before and every stay has been quite pleasant. This one was no exception. Staff is very friendly, hotel lobby is about as beautiful as it gets (my favorite part!) and the rooms are quaint. We received an upgrade to a larger suite; it was very clean and mostly spacious. Only 4 out of 5 for the following: 1) The bathroom was so small that you could barely move around in it. Knees hit the shower when doing your business. 2) Went to the lobby bar after the concert to get a drink. I was blatantly ignored for about 3 minutes. When I was able to flag the bartender down, he just said ‘closed’ and walked away. But a couple of minutes later, a loud, well dressed guy who was flashing a big wad of cash around was served about a dozen shots on command. I guess money talks and my hoodie didn’t. That was a bit snobby for my taste. Overall we enjoyed our short stay. Palmer is always well priced and in a great location. We’ll stay again but I’ll remember to bring a flask next time. :-)

Stayed: October 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Kristie C

Hello Kristie C,

Thank you describing your stay and your added information, including opportunities for improvement, is much appreciated. I am sorry to hear of your experience at our bar and I can assure you that this is not standard practice. Your comments will be a crucial factor for our team as we continuously search for ways to improve our service.

It is always a pleasing feeling whenever our guests return to our hotel for another dose of the antiquity within our walls. We truly hope to see you again at the Palmer House!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This is the third time I review this hotel. Once again, excellent. This time we were upgraded to the executive floor and it was fantastic, breakfast included. There are not many options and it's always the same food but we appreciated everything.Although we had an issue with the full size bed (booked one double bed) because, in my opinion it's too small for two people to sleep comfortably. The mattress and pillows help since they are so comfy... but still too small.We Loved the Executive Floor Elevator since the other ones are soooo slow!!

• Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
1  Thank GabrielaCh

Hello GabrielaCh,

We are thrilled to have had the opportunity to welcome you for a third time. Thank you for taking the time to describe your stay in such detail and for providing helpful tips to potential future guests of our property.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Of course, this is one of those grand-dame hotels, like the Waldorf in NYC, or the old William Penn Inn in Pittsburgh. And its beautiful in its way, large spacious, impressive lobby with ornamental and filigree work painted into the walls and high ceiling above. The halls on the room floors are decorated with headshots and of-that-era photos of great, old (and generally deceased) legends who, I assume performed there in a bygone era -- Jack Benny, Ella, Allen King, etc.
But this only takes you so far. After that, the cramped rooms (with king bed) are drab. The tiny bathroom features a few old, thin, harsh towels, and is not well lit. The shower still has that outdated shower curtain rod that is straight and not curved--so with the water running the curtain lifts up to cling to your body.
There is no room service anymore. That compounds the lack of any coffee or coffee-maker in the room. Stiff foam pillows. Dated room furnishings and drapes etc.
TO the owner/investor/management company: quit sucking the last dime out of this place, invest $20--$25M and restore this old gal to its proper level. Then upgrade the service. Unless/until that happens, I will not return.

• Stayed: October 2018, travelled on business
2  Thank CLF422

Hello CLF422,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Palmer House! We truly apologize that you did not receive the typical Palmer House experience during your visit. We specialize in outstanding customer service and we are saddened to hear that we missed the mark.

We never want any guest to feel as if our first mission is not to provide a high level of service throughout their stay. Rest assured, your comments will be a crucial factor for our team as we continuously search for ways to improve our service.

We understand that you have many options in the city of Chicago but it is always a pleasing feeling whenever our guests return to our hotel for another dose of the antiquity within our walls. We truly hope to see you again at the Palmer House!