“Great Chicago Hotel”

The Palmer House Hilton
Ranked #100 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 1 May 2012

The Palmer House is pretty much my only Chicago hotel unless the location just wouldn't work for me. It is the hotel that my children (now adults) grew up knowing about Chicago. The location is great for dining, shopping and the arts. It is close to the Millennium Park area. The hotel is a historic landmark that began in the later part of the 19th century. The rooms are always interesting as it seems every time is completely different. Over the years, it has ranged from standard (but very nice) to some with two bathrooms and once in a while a large suite with a living room, a dining room and bar area. The concierge lounge floor is amazing as with the staff there. The last time pulling up at the front, both the parking valet and the older doorman recognized us as the folks from Minnesota. That was pretty special. We are there several times a year maximum and some years only once. The overall ambiance, the service, the attitude of the staff and the appointment, amenities and the housekeeping are all perfect. Three generations of my family have enjoyed it over the years. It is a great Chicago hotel, dignified and fantastic.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kawidd
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for The Palmer House Hilton

Reviewed 30 April 2012

I stayed at the Palmer House twice recently, both times to attend ballet. I was with a friend the first time and we had one of those great, old double rooms with the two bathrooms. Luxury! The second time I was traveling solo and I had a king room. Both rooms were scrupulously clean and well appointed with nice toiletries, thick towels and comfy beds. (I wish they had bathrobes, though, my favorite amenity and pretty standard in most hotels of this quality.) The Palmer House has a great location in the heart of the Loop, it has a Starbucks on site, and it has visible security, which I appreciate when I am traveling alone. The lobby is a work of art; you should stop in even if you aren't staying the night. I arrived early in the morning and was prepared to check my bag and get on with my plans, but they had a room available, which certainly smoothed the way for me. The Palmer House is a special, elegant grande dame of hotels.

Room Tip: Listen to the desk clerk when you arrive. You will probably be offered upgrades that are well worth...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank SuzyQSB
Reviewed 30 April 2012

The lobby is exquisite, which only served to highlight the disconnect with the pathetic service. The Concierge Floor is a joke. For this kind of $$, go somewhere else.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Check in was a breeze. However, I forgot my usual schpeel...not near the elevator, no adjoining rooms...ugh...It was not near the elevators, but there was an adjoining room. I thought okay we will try this it was at the end of the hall, big hotel, what's the chances of having a noisy neighbor? Headed to bed around 10:30 and the guest next door arrived. Sounded like a bunch of young women since they kept laughing loud and often. However, they quieted down about 1/2 hour later...which was acceptable. The next night however was a different story. They arrived around midnight and sounded like they put a movie on and kept laughing (very loudly) every couple of mintues...put a call into security around 12:30 since this kept up...I did not hear security knock on their door and the sounds did not stop...Called again after 1:00am and asked if they sent someone since the noise level did not stop. They apologized and sent security this time (since I could hear them talking in the hall) and it quietened down around 1:30am. We had to get up early to drive home, so needless to say no sleep that night. We were also on the 16th floor with the *L* just located to the side of the hotel and you could hear it go by every 3 min. Which wasn't that much distraction for sleeping, it just sounded like an airplane going by but it was hard to get used to since I'm such a light sleeper.

Back to the hotel. Excellent location. Beautiful bar/lobby area. Friendly staff. Parking cost was extreme $42 per day (2 days), but we had a really good deal on priceline.com so we didn't mind paying the costs. The room was very nice, a little dated, but the king bed was awesome. Very comfortable, sheets and the 5 pillows were awesome. I am very particular and they passed the test. The bathroom was very small, basically no counter room, shower drained slowly, but the towels were very nice. Desk area/sitting area with a 40in? flat screen tv this area made the room not seem crowed at all with lots of room to move around. We had requested a refrigerator to store my husbands insulin which we received, but upon check out there was a $40 charge (we have NEVER been charged for medical purposes). I called the front desk and they were more than willing to waive the charge and apologized for this.

So beware of adjoining rooms. I did find the hotel very noisy as we walked back and forth to our room you could hear others in their room. I don't usually notice that much when we've stayed at other hotels, but the racket seemed to be quite noticeable and we didn't have 'that' long of a walk to the elevator.

All in all good stay. Would I stay here again? Maybe, but I would definately make sure 'no adjoining room' and away from the "L".

Room Tip: High floor away from the L.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CarolynDesMoines
Reviewed 30 April 2012

I came for an event and stayed an extra day to sightsee with my son. I wanted something close to some of the attractions...I found it!!!
It has old world charm and all the class included. The lobby is ful of life and always buzzing.
Looking to return and this isone the best spots to stay to be in the thick of things!!!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family