I think the Palmer House Hilton is an excellent choice for a hotel in the downtown core, especially for people who have never visited Chicago. The hotel is located in the heart of the subway loop allowing easy access to every subway line in the city.
It is for that reason that the location of this hotel in my opinion is fantastic. The RED line subway station is located right at the side entrance to the hotel (10 ft away). The BLUE and ORANGE lines are just a short walking distance away. This is perfect for those coming into Chicago from either MDW or ORD airports. One subway directly to the hotel without transfers to buses or other lines.
The 146 bus stops at the side entrance as well, allowing a 10 minute ride on one bus only, to access to the Field museum, Shedd aquarium, Alder Planetarium and Soldier's field. Michigan Avenue is a 2-3 minute walk away with the art gallery and Clould city / Millenium park being a short 15 minute walk.
Regarding the hotel itself, I found it to be great value for the money. The main lobby is beautiful with excellent artistic decor. There is a lobby bar which always seemed to be busy as well as couches for people to sit down and drink. Very social vibe to the lobby. I did not try the in-house restaurant but it always seemed busy.
The service was exceptional...anytime I asked for directions or for something for the room my needs were immediately addressed. The staff was very friendly, from reception, down to the cleaning staff.
The room I was given (room 21169) was very small and with no view, however it was clean. You can tell the rooms themselves are a little dated. The bathroom was small as well but otherwise clean. Wi-fi is not free, unless youre a HHonours Points member.
Overall a fantastic choice for a hotel if you’re in Chicago on business or as a tourist, especially as a first time tourist.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- North America’s most established hotel, the Palmer House Hilton first opened its doors in 1871 and has remained the place to "see and be seen" in downtown Chicago. We continue evolving to serve you with the latest conveniences and comforts in meetings, accommodations and dining - a hip and historic blend of modern nuances and Chicago cultural significance. Whether you’re holding a gala in the famed Empire Room or an intimate gathering in one of our hospitality suites, your event is sure to be a success. Here, you’ll be the host in the Chicago hotel that’s been the venue of choice for celebrities, politicians, and royalty for more than a century.When you come to the Palmer House Hilton, you don’t just stay here. You live here—even if it’s only for a night. That’s why all of our guest rooms and suites have just the right touches to make you feel right at home. You’ll sleep well on our Hilton Serenity Dream bed featuring a plush top mattress and crisp linens, lathering up with Peter Thomas Roth bath products, perceptual service and a full host of amenities to keeping you connected – from flat screen HD televisions, wired and wireless high-speed internet to alarm clocks with auxiliary ports, you’ll find everything you need to rest easy. Lockwood Restaurant, your Farm to Fork, AAA 4 Diamond destination open for breakfast, lunch and dinner as well as afternoon tea. The Lobby Bar at Lockwood is a favorite for locals and travelers alike for craft beers and craft cocktails with Palmer House private reserves and labels. Potter’s is the hip spot to enjoy a retro mix of perfectly poured libations and delectable light fare while reminiscing about the hotel’s history. The hotel is walking distance to the Blue Line and the Orange Line “L” stations for quick transport to O’Hare International Airport and Midway Airport, respectively. The Palmer House Hilton is steps to all the action along State Street including Macy’s, Nordstrom Rack, American Apparel, H&M, Block 37 Mall and the Chicago Theatre. The hotel is also a short walk to The Art Institute, Joffrey Ballet, Cadillac Theatre, Jeweler’s Row, Millennium Park, John G. Shedd Aquarium, Field Museum and Adler Planetarium. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Hilton Hotels Direct, Booking.com, Agoda and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Palmer House Hilton reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Palmer House Hilton Hotel Chicago
- Hilton Hotel Chicago
- Hilton Hotel Palmer
- Palmer House Chicago
- Chicago Palmer House Hilton
- Palmer House Hilton Chicago
- Palmer Hilton House
- Hilton Chicago
- Chicago Hilton