“Amazing Location... but..” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“Amazing Location... but..”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2012

I am torn on how to review this hotel. It is in an amazing location. Close to everything. CTA, MacDonalds, Walgreens.There is a 7-11 across the street. It is a short walk to the Chicago River and a little longer to the Magnificent Mile. It is also close to several "hop on hop off" bus tour stops so you can use that to go all over the city. The hotel itself is perfectly fine, if you get a good room... you will have a great time.

On the other hand... I started off not getting a good room. My first room had a view of a brick wall (I had previously called and requested a river room). Then I got a river view room (and it wasn't that great a view) and I could hear the 'el' screech, which does run all night. Third time was the charm. I got a room on the north side, great view, and I couldn't hear the "el" but, if you get a room on the south, west, and east side... well too bad for you. I do have to give them props for giving me a good room when I asked.

Unlike a lot of hotels I have been to this one had no microwave in the room and no coffee maker. Although they do serve coffee in the lobby -- kind of didn't like having to go down there every day. Also one day I had to get up at 5 AM and the coffee service didn't start until 6 AM.
In addition the TV service was pretty spare. Selected cable channels. I wasn't in the room that much but other hotels I have been in had the full line up of basic cable and some pay channels. I was in the room for a few hours each afternoon -- as it was super hot -- and there was not a ton watch. So I went to the fitness center... which turns out to be a fitness room... fitness room? I also hated the interior design. I knew from the photos it might be an issue but I hoped I would like it... I did not.

I had considered the Renaissance Hotel (close to this) and I actually think this one has a better location for a better price, but, I don't know if I would stay here again. I would certainly look around for something else first.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the North Side if you don't want noise from the "el" and a good view...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Sara45678787
, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago, responded to this review, 11 July 2012
Hi NRX,
Thanks for sharing your experience with everyone. I'm sad to hear you had to move rooms a couple times to find what you like, but I'm also glad we found the right fit for you. It's true, on occasion you can hear some urban noise in the corner rooms, but for the most part we rarely hear complaints. We do have ear plugs if necessary too for light sleepers.

I'm sorry you weren't happy with the interior design. It's a recent room renovation, though everyone has thier own preferences. We try to stay comfortable, fun and unique, while relfecting the Monaco's historic heritage.

I wish I had known about the river view- we do give first availability to those who have booked river view upgrades, and then we usually aim to honor the requests for upgrades to Kimpton InTouch guests and then when we have leftover upgrades we try to honor them. It looks like initially we didn't meet your request, but it came through in the end. I'm glad we ended up finding a charming view for you.

The Fitness Center was doubled in size last fall. It's all new Life Fitness equiptment. Walk around in there- it's big once you go explore in there. We do have a great LA Fitness nearby too that some guest buy day passes for when they want amenities like a full service gym or a pool would have.

Lastly, I'm glad you chose us and found some good value over our neighbors up Wacker Drive. The location really is awesome. Whenever you chose to return, let us know about your coffee preference and we'll have it in room for you upon arrival- we have plenty of stuff ready to make that happen for you and we'll ensure the great view for you.

Happy travels and thank you,
~Ryan Parker, Assistant General Manager
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (671)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2012

Stayed 6/23-27, 2012 for our 23rd anniversary. Had a corner room with 4 window seats that faced Wabash and Wacker; needless to say it had spectacular views. Large bathroom with 2-person Jacuzzi was great. Room was spotless every day.
Dan from in-room dining brought up a bottle of champagne on our arrival and said he would send us something else the following day - which was his day off. The next day we returned from breakfast and 2 cupcakes and popcorn from local specialty stores had been delivered to make our anniversary even more special. Everyone we encountered on the staff was friendly and helpful. I'm looking forward to returning to Chicago - and to Hotel Monaco.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back side of the hotel are quieter - away from the El, which is 1/2 block away.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago, responded to this review, 13 July 2012
Happy belated anniversary! We're thrilled you came and enjoyed the suites we offer. That was so nice of Dan to recognize your special occasion and to help you enjoy it! Join Kimpton InTouch if you like- you'll see some good Suite specials coming up soon, and you get the free 2 items out of the mini bar and free wifi.
Thanks again and Happy Anniversary!
Boca Raton, FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2012 via mobile

I brought my family to Chicago to look at colleges. I took two rooms at the Kimpton Monaco. The teens stayed on a double queen room which was at the end of the hall, huge and had 2 beautiful window seats with a view of the river. The kids were in heaven and loved the room. My husband and I stayed in a king room down the hall, it was smaller, but still large enough and had 1 large window seat with an amazing view of the river.

The room was quiet and comfortable. The staff very accommodating. Internet is free to Kimpton rewards members, a big plus. I would definitely return to the Hotel Monaco if ever in Chicago again! We only had a small problem with the TV which was fixed after stopping by the front desk. The parking in the parking garage is steep, and the time to get your car can be slow, we waited 15 minutes. If we did not need to drive out of the city we would not have gotten the car, so avoid it if you can!

Definitely a gem in the city!!

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Our friends from Florida,

Thanks for bringing your family to stay with us while looking at colleges. I'm glad the accomodation was a delight for you and your kids. Good luck with college hunting, I know that can be a stress!

Did you guys love the location? It's so central to both the many colleges and all the fun spots to visit. I'm sorry about he wait for the car- being in such a tight location our garage that we partner with stays very very busy. Believe it or not, parking is actually less expensive at this hotel than our many neighbors. Either way, being car free certainly makes things easier when it comes to this big city.

Thanks again for sharing and we look forward to having you back. Next time, we have to set you up with the in room goldfish!
Cheers,
Ryan Parker, AGM
Chicago, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2012

A++++ Couldn't have had a better experience from the staff to the food. Beautiful rooms, very accomodating, I would recommend for anyone.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks Bonnie! We're accomodating because we truly enjoy hospitality and showing genuine care! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and we look forward to having you return.
Cheers,
United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2012

We had a 4 day city break in Chicago and The Monaco was a fantastic base. A boutique hotel, we loved the quirky decor in our rooms. The best part was the amazing window seat overlooking the river. Wonderful! Great service from the front desk staff and the porters. Just perfect! Would recommend for a romantic break. Look forward to returning!

Room Tip: Request a river view room.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago, responded to this review, 4 July 2012
Everyone was delighted to have you spend four days with us and enjoy the city break on this hot summer we are having. Aren't those window seats just awesome? Grab some sangria from wine hour and head up and lounge before dinner on a window seat. At night, the views are just spectacular, as you clearly saw.

Thanks for sharing, we're so glad you enjoyed the experience!
Ryan Parker, AGM