“Great hotel, great atmosphere, great staff”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago
Ranked #20 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Princeton, New Jersey
“Great hotel, great atmosphere, great staff”
Reviewed 26 June 2012

Wonderful staff, great stay.
Unique fun atmosphere, hassle free (free wifi in public area, fee coffee, accommodating staff). Will seriously consider staying there for business whenever i can.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago, responded to this review, 4 July 2012
And we'd seriously love to have you. We have plenty to keep your mind on business, and off business too such as our new bicycles we are starting to share with guests this weekend, and our morning runs with myself and Chef Roger Waysok from South Water Kitchen. We also have a brand new fitness center, a lovely sangria at Wine Hour and more. Thanks for sharing your experience and we look forward to your returning.
~Ryan Parker, AGM
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (691)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 25 June 2012

I went to Chicago with a group of friends for the weekend. This hotel was centrally located -- short walk to Millenium park, the river architectural tour, a walking food tour and a block from the L which we took to a White Sox game. The rooms were suprisingly spacious for a big city and very clean. We opted for a river view room and there was little to no street noise. The staff were friendly and professional -- the concierge easily got us tickets to Second City the same night. While I didn't use it, the workout facilities were clean and had a fridge packed with cold bottled waters.
The hotel also has some nice touches such as Starbucks coffee each morning in the lobby as well as a wine and sangria hour with lite hors d'oeuvres.
All in all I'd highly recommend this hotel, especially if you are visiting Chicago with friends and/or family for the weekend.

Room Tip: Worth it to pay the extra $20 for a river view room. You will be facing away from the train and hav...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank travelgrems
Thank you for sharing your great experience with friends at the Monaco. I'm glad you pointed out that the Sangria and Wine Hour was a nice touch for you all. It really is meant to be a nice atmosphere for you and your other guests to mingle and relax while between activities. I'm happy to hear it. Second City is pretty amazing too, and tickets can be very difficult to come by sometimes.

Thank you for sharing, and enjoy the summer. We look forward to seeing you and your friends again.
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 24 June 2012

I was recently in Chicago for a conference. The conference was at a huge hotel, close to the Hotel Monaco. I stayed at the Monaco before and after the conference, but had moved over to the conference hotel for convenience.
I was so happy to return to the Monaco. The staff was incredibly welcoming for both check ins. The hotel is lovely. The window seats are amazing. The first night I had such an amazing view of the river from my window seat that I was tempted to sleep there ( they are huge!). I didn't because the beds are so comfortable I couldn't resist.
Room service was amazingly quick and delicious; perfect for a lazy breakfast on my last morning in Chicago.
This is a great location, access to the river is fantastic. Easy walk to shopping, Navy Pier and the Art Institute. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank 222GeeBee222
What a pleasure to hear that you really felt the difference between the different types of hotels, and that we stood out for having a lovely experience to go along with a beautiful room and atmosphere.

Thank you for sharing, and please- we'd love to have you. Have you joined up for Kimpton InTouch yet? We'll be sharing lots of summer and fall specials very soon.

Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 22 June 2012

I recently booked a stay with Monaco. It was the first time I went to this Kimpton hotel - I've been to all the other Kimpton hotels in Chicago at least once and I like staying at them because of the great services they provide.

Recently, I was on a business trip coming up from Dallas to Chicago and I got a call from Kimpton - they oversold, felt really bad (my flight was late, really late, so I was the one of the few to get the boot), but they already booked me a stay at the Wit and I wouldn't have to pay for that night. A bit bummed, but I heard good things about the Wit and I wasn't paying for it, so sure! I thanked them for thinking about me, taking care of things already so that I wasn't blindsided when I got to the hotel.

This isn't a review of the Wit, but when I arrived, I found the room was gorgeous, it just didn't have a bed. It was a "parlor" room, where I had to fold out the couch and sleep on a thin mattress. No pillows. Had to make the bed myself. It was 2:30 am local time, and I was exhausted, so I just slept as best as I could.

In the morning, I visited the Monaco, thinking, how could they have snubbed me? They probably got the cheapest room available. Nope - it was the last room Wit had, they were told, and they spent $680 for it. They weren't told that there wasn't going to be a bed. Monaco staff were shocked at what happened, and were very apologetic. They put me up in the best suite in the hotel, not charging me extra for it, and got the room ready early. I was up there for an hour - a quick call asking if everything was ok and if there was anything else I can do.

My luck didn't continue - I left my bag at the hotel on the way to the airport, but they were ready to ship it when necessary. I opted to keep the bag there until I returned next week on business.

To me that story tells me so much about Monaco and the Kimpton hotels in general. They really care about making people feel comfortable, and if something went wrong, they go out of their way to make sure they make the situation as best as possible. Not a single hotel I've been to has demonstrated this level of service. The rooms at places that I've stayed when a Kimpton isn't available lack character, don't have an honor bar (which comes in handy many times - there's food, snacks, and even medicine, etc. in there), and aren't as stylish but usable too. How many times have you been to a hotel where the sync is large, beautiful, but shallow and leaves no counter space for your things? I've yet to experience that in a Kimpton hotel.

Not to mention with their InTouch membership (free), you get free Wifi, and a credit towards a couple of things in the honor bar. How awesome is that? Many times I go to a hotel and have to pay 10-15 dollars a night for Wifi.

All in all, I will always find myself going out of my way to stay at a Kimpton wherever I am. I've never felt more comfortable away from home.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank JWL1226
What an experience you've had! I am thrilled to see that it has helped definite your loyalty to our hotel brand and that a situation that could have continued to get worse was instead turned into one that furthers your great relationship with Kimpton. Please don't hesitate to ever contact Marco or myself when you plan on returning- we'd love to help make sure things go wonderful next time. Thank you again for sharing your experience, and again- thank you for being so pleasant about the whole experience. I know it was complicated. We are thrilled to be your home away from home when you come to the Windy City.
Lansing, MI
Reviewed 20 June 2012

I was at the Hotel Monaco last weekend with some friends, and it was a gorgeous property. The room was uniquely decorated and we had a view of the river - from our huge window seat!!

There is a 7-11 conveniently located right across the street, and an Elephant & Castle just down the street for a great lunch.

Michigan Avenue is one block away, and very near to Millennium Park.

We had brunch on Sunday at the South Water Kitchen, which is attached to the hotel. Our meals were excellent. I had the French toast made with challah bread, with lemon cream cheese and blueberries. Delicious.

I'll definitely stay here again!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Amy P
, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago, responded to this review, 21 June 2012
Aren't the window seats amazing? Sometimes it's almost like a window bed, since the pad on top is an actual memory foam mattress. Those are a great upgrade. I'm glad you enjoyed it and found the South Water Kitchen brunch to be lovely. Thank you, and find us on Facebook if your the type, we'd love to keep you updated on all our latest exciting going ons.
Ryan Parker, Assistant General Manager