“This hotel was gorgeous.”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago
Ranked #20 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
“This hotel was gorgeous.”
Reviewed 17 April 2012

I spent the weekend at Hotel Monaco for my birthday. I had stayed at the Allegro last time I was in Chicago and loved the service and decor. I wanted a closer hotel to Magnificent Mile and came across Hotel Monaco. I was so happy I did. The decor is gorgeous, the room I received was the Riverview Med suite, I was impressed at the bigger rooms and amazing view.. I took naps in the huge gorgeous windows and asked for a goldfish in my reservations and had one waiting for us in the room when we arrived. Very prompt and delightful trim service when asked for extra towels and blankets. I have never stayed at a hotel with such polite customer service.. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and I always recommend Kimpton Hotels in general.. Gorgeous hotels and better service than a W or any other five star hotel. I believe they go out of their way to make it such a friendly atmosphere.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Mrs-Sands
AGMRyan, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago, responded to this review, 26 April 2012
We certainly do go out of our way to provide genuine care and ensure all our staff feels welcome and important. Thank you for such wonderful comments! The location is very awesome, and the window seats and goldfish really do add to the value, don't they? Thanks for staying with us and we really appreciate the Kimpton InTouch loyalty.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (684)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 15 April 2012

While we enjoyed the hotel, the restaurant and the bar in this hotel, our stay which was for our 33rd wedding anniversary was certainly tainted by my pain meds being stolen out of our room while were out site seeing that day. My fault probably but I had undergone recent cervical surgery and when we decided to go walking around the city that day, decided holding the purse would aggravate my neck situation. Took out my cash and credit cards, never giving my pain meds a thought. The disturbing problem here is that I put my purse in my suit case under clothes, essentially thinking I was burying it (I was naive yes!) My purse, as my kids describe it is a black hole and not easily gone through, so the thief really had to dig threw it. I went to take a half of pill when we returned home after site seeing, eating lunch, etc. for at least 5 hours. I noticed that only 5 pills were left in the bottle and thought this must be my old bottle as I had just had it refilled and there were 50 pills (norco) in that rx. Being that we were away, I thought I'd dig through my purse later and perhaps grabbed the old bottle before we left. We got home Sunday night and I didn't leave the house for 2 days. I went to take another pill a couple of days later and then decided to look through my purse only to find both the old and the new bottle and probably 45 or so pills missing. I called my surgeon's nurse who sadly wasn't surprised at all. Her comment was hmm, they left some on the bottom of the pill bottle, right. Yes, I said. That way you don't notice it right away, apparently an old hotel trick. I called the hotel only to be told that only my husband and I had entered the room along with an 8 year veteran housekeeper. Those drugs went missing at that hotel which is sad because otherwise I would highly recommend it. The restaurant was great, beds very comfy, check in/check out process great. I sure learned a lesson the hard way here though. Moral of the story, beware anywhere you stay.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank closerjean
Thank you so much for enjoying your anniversary with us! Happy Anniversary! I know you've been in touch with our Director of Housekeeping regarding your pills and I'm sorry that that situation wasn't fully resolved to your satisfaction. I've never heard that this is an old hotel trick, nor had this happen before but I feel confident anyone could feel safe leaving their items in appropriate places in their rooms. I'm glad you enjoyed the restaurant and the decor, and please don't hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel if you'd like to further discuss the situation. Cheers, Ryan Parker, Assistant General Manager
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 11 April 2012

I don't have enough good things to say about my whole experience at Hotel Monaco! It was above and beyond my expectations. From the moment we arrived for our 3 night stay, we were treated like royalty. The hotel is in a great location-just a block from the river and a convenient walk to everything. We didn't get a taxi at all except to go to the airport. There are tons of restaurants close by, shopping on the Magnificent Mile is a short walk away, as well as Millenium Park and the Art Institute of Chicago Museum and the theater district-all within walking distance.

Check in was a breeze! I booked a 2 queen bed room for my 2 daughters and myself for the 1st night. My husband was meeting us the next day, so I had booked another room for the 2 of us. Everything regarding the 2nd room was settled when we checked in the night before, so all we had to do was move our luggage the next day. There was a discussion about whether to get adjoining rooms or not, and the receptionist sided with my daughters-we would be placed on the same floor! She was so nice-I wish I remembered her name.

The room was beautiful, large and I couldn't find a thing wrong with it. We had a lovely view of the Chicago River and 2 really cool window seats (you could actually use them as beds). The decor of the room is deco and very nicely done. The bedding, curtains and furniture were all so interesting. The beds and pillows so comfortable. There were also zebra print and leopard print robes! If I must be picky-the bathrooms could use a little updating-the vanity area is a little small and it would be nice to have a separate shower and bathtub instead of the combo. But I'm not complaining.

Our 2nd room was a King room, which I booked with a very reasonable package. It was located on the end right next to the Employee/service room. I was worried we'd be woken or kept awake due to it opening and closing early in the morning and late at night. We didn't hear a thing! We had no view at all-just looked at a brick wall and parking lot below. We also didn't have the window seats, but had a chaise lounge instead. I would say our daughters got the best room, but I'm not complaining. Ask for a view of the river and for the cute window seats.

There is a wine reception every evening from 5-6. We made sure that we were in the hotel at that time. The chef from the restaurant had some nibbles available too. This is all free! We had a nice time sipping wine in front of the warm fireplace.

We went to the bar for drinks/snacks both nights and the 2nd night, the waitress knew us and remembered what we had to drink-asking us if we wanted the same wine we had the night before. The food was good-we had flatbread, garlic fries, and a charcuterie platter-everything delicious. The decor isn't anything to write home about, but it was crowded and lively, and the staff were great!

We inquired about a river boat sightseeing excursion and Ryan, the Concierge, recommended that we take the architectural cruise. He booked our reservation for us and got us our tickets. He called me to confirm and followed up on how the trip was. If you have time, I highly recommend it. It's pricey ($40 pp) but well worth it!

Upon checking out, I inquired about the credits we were due based on the packages that I had booked the 2 rooms with. We were owed $25 per night and $10 mini bar credit for the King room, and $25 food and beverage on the Queen/Queen room. We didn't charge anything to the Queen room, so we didn't get the credit on our bill. I asked about this and they switched one of the bar bills to that room so we could get the credit. So nice!!!

After I got home, I received a survey to take regarding our stay at Hotel Monaco. I gladly filled it out and emailed it back. I received a personal email from Marco, the manager, thanking me for my kind comments and mentioning the fact that my daughter will be attending college in Chicago in the fall and he hoped I'd let him know when we were coming again and he'd make sure we got a "good" room! We'll definitely be staying at Hotel Monaco for all of our visits to Chicago for the next 4 years while our daughter is in college. The staff really know how to make their guests feel important, and that's the main reason I'll be back!

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the River and the window seats.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Jennifer L
AGMRyan, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago, responded to this review, 14 April 2012
Dear Jennifer, I am so thrilled to hear how the genuine care and hospitality our team delivers was so graciously appreciated by you and your family!
On behalf of the Monaco Chicago and South Water Kitchen, thank you- we very much appreciate your kind words and we hope to continue to be your home away from home in Chicago in the future.
`Ryan Parker, AGM
Joliet
Reviewed 11 April 2012

If you are ever in need of a GREAT place to stay in downtown Chicago, I would suggest the Hotel Monaco. Great location. Excellant staff with a great restaurant the South Water Kitchen!!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank fishnnnn
AGMRyan, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Chicago, responded to this review, 12 April 2012
Why thank you! Join Kimpton InTouch (free) and earn free nights visits and get free wifi! Did you try the flatbreads at South Water Kitchen? They are fantastic. Thank you for the nice compliments.
~Ryan Parker, AGM
Lake in the Hills, Illinois
Reviewed 11 April 2012

We recently stayed at the Hotel Monaco in Chicago and had a fabulous experience! From the minute we arrived until we stepped out the doors upon check out, the staff was very friendly and made us feel right at home. We loved the window seat in our room, very cozy with a great view of the river. The rooms are very clean and comfortable and I loved the decor. Love the wine hour in the evening in the lobby and the complimentary Starbucks coffee in the morning. We felt very safe in the area that the hotel is in and there is so much to do that's within walking distance. We will definitely be back to stay at Hotel Monaco!

Room Tip: Sign up for the free loyalty program with Kimpton and you may receive deals on upgrading your room f...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank king25
It looks like you found some great value staying at the Monaco Chicago! We're so glad to hear it and thank you for the kind review! Those view rooms are pretty unique and make for an excellent upgrade. Like us on Facebook if your a Facebooker! You'll find out about so many great specials we offer.
Ryan Parker, AGM