“Good Location ... Some Issues” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Garden Inn Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile

Hilton Garden Inn Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile
Ranked #53 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Los Angeles, California
“Good Location ... Some Issues”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

First the Good: Excellent Location, Red Line station outside the front door. Adjacent to Weber Grill, entrance in lobby. Rooms were clean and generally well maintained. Quick Check-In / Check-Out. 1 King Bed room had plenty of room for luggage . Work desk and chair better than most. Free Wired and Wireless In-room internet. Now the Bad: A/C Unit works great, but is extremely noisy when compressor starts, and woke me up a few times during the night - and I am not a light sleeper. This seems to be an issue in most rooms, including the two rooms I stayed in as well as the rooms of my business colleagues. One of my rooms had a connecting door to the adjacent room, and you could hear the TV and even people talking in normal conversation in the adjacent room - avoid rooms with a connecting door. There is an ever present odor of meat being grilled from the Weber Grill from around 1PM to midnight, although you get used to it after a while. The evening of my fourth night, the DHCP server used by the hotel was not working properly and it was impossible to connect to the internet. The hotel staff claimed everything was fine, but it didn't work in another room either. The A/C unit stopped working around 11 PM on the fourth night, and I was told that there was no engineering staffing on the overnight shift. I was offered another room and took it. No offer to assist with relocation. The replacement room was configured with 2 Queen beds, which made things a bit tight. Using the workdesk was just about impossible. During check-out, I was asked how my stay was, and I responded that it was generally fine, except for having to change rooms. Staff apparently has not been trained on how to respond to this kind of answer as all I got was a blank stare "deer in the headlights" look.

I will probably stay here again, but will bring my earplugs with me as well as my own Internet broadband card. Would have rated this hotel as "Average" if not for the location.

Room Tip: Rooms with 1 King Bed are more spacious. Avoid rooms that have a connecting door to adjacent room du...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank RD57
HGI_Chicago, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, 23 July 2012
Dear RD57:

Thank you for your feedback, pointing out the positive attributes of your stay and those areas of opportunities. Feel confident, that I will share both with our operational managers. I want to thank you for sharing with others, that you would however, return to this hotel.

Gina Danze
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2012

This was my second visit to this hotel. The first one was uneventful but this stood out. I had to use my Diamond level (Hilton points program) to even get a room. It was costly at $299 but at least i had a place to stay. When I arrived on this very hot day, soaked in perspiration, I was greeted by a very friendly woman at the desk. She immediately acknowledged my Diamond level and thanked me (this rarely happens at the Hilton family places I stay). I asked if there were any upgrades and she came through with 2229 (picture of view from room attached). She even gave me my water bottles, recognizing that by changing rooms, my Diamond "perk" would not be in the new room. The last few times I upgraded at other Hilton hotels,, I had to call down to the desk for water.
The security is comforting too as you must use your room card to get into the lobby elevator.
Room service is from the Weber's Grill restaurant. I ordered a strip steak and potatoes. The steak arrived but no potatoes-however, the waiter was quick to come back with them. Both the meat and potatoes were delicious, albeit expensive as after adding a can of soda, tip, etc. it came to more than $52. Checkout was a breeze, though since it had rained in the morning, getting a cab took a few minutes. But the person getting the cab for me was persistent, causing me to increase his tip for his effort.

Room Tip: High floors have nice views
Dear Tripp F:

I am delighted that you enjoyed your return visit to the Hilton Garden Inn Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile. I was particularly pleased that you recognized the attention to detail, recognition for Hilton Honor’s’ upgrade when possible and cold water on a very hot day.

Thank you for your loyalty.

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2012

This hotel was so perfect. I was ill upon my arrival and requested to be put into a room early if something was available. I know this can be a tall order, especially on a weekend! The staff was wonderful, they brought me a bottle of water while I waited and offered to let me freshen up upstairs on a community floor (where the pool, etc is located). They got me into a room in about twenty minutes. I was so impressed with the staff.

The room itself was beautiful and comfortable. Above all, it was really clean and quiet, must-haves for me (especially because I wasn't feeling well). A bonus was blackout curtains. I took a nap as soon as I got into the hotel and I slept really well - could not even tell it was mid-morning in a busy area of a bustling city.

Location is amazing, right on a subway stop with easy connections to the "L" trains. The stop that the hotel is on has elevator access to street level so it's not a problem if you are lugging around a bunch of luggage. That's key for me - I've definitely been caught carrying bags up stairs due to poor planning. I always try to pack light, but sometimes it is unavoidable.

The price was great for this hotel considering how perfect the property itself is. I was majorly impressed with everything and I will definitely book again if I return to Chicago soon.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Dear Nicole_Solomon:

Thank you for taking time to share your experience at the Hilton Garden Inn Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile with other reviews on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your business and hope that your next visit to Chicago includes a stay with us.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2012

Had a little bit of a view of the Lake. Loved our suite. Perfect for the small amount of hours we ere there. Bed - very comfortable. Staff was extremely helpful and VERY friendly. All were so willing to help.

Room Tip: the higher you can go up the better the view.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, 13 July 2012
Dear Marilyn C:

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile. Your feedback will be shared with associates throughout our hotel. We realize you had a number of choices when selecting a hotel, thank you for choosing the Hilton Garden Inn Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile. We value your business.

Toledo, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2012

I have stayed here before, but felt compelled to write an updated review to note that on my most recent stay it appears the room had been entirely renovated, and it now included a fridge, much nicer furnishings, and the new adjustable bed. I remembered this hotel being ok before, and a good choice for downtown stays, but with the upgraded room that I experienced I wanted to give the hotel credit for the renovation. The room was very clean and definitely didn't look "well-travelled".

Room Tip: Rooms facing East aren't above any roads, and I didn't experience any city noise in my East...
1 Thank Flyinlow427vette
Dear Flyinlow427vette:

Thank you for sharing with other Trip Advisor viewers, your observations of the Hilton Garden Inn Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile. This hotel is always looking for opportunity to enhance each guests visit. We hope you will return to our hotel again soon.