“Such soft beds...”

Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown
Ranked #51 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 6 January 2013

We spent 2 nights at this hotel recently. We knew about the sirens from reading the reviews here. The first night (Saturday) we heard a few, but not bad. Sunday night, we hear few if any!
The beds were so soft! I wanted to take it home! Our room (521) was so bright and SO clean. I am so picky when it come to hotel rooms, but I was pleasantly surprised. We asked for a lower floor after reading the reviews because the elevators are slow and busy and we could walk down if we choose to. The staff was very nice and accommodating, although the cleaning staff did knock on our door at 7:30 the morning that we were checking out. Like another reviewer said, a little too early! The pool and hot tub were very nice also, but like in another review, the tiles are SO slippery, even with flip flops, it was slick. You just have to walk very slow. 3 of the 4 of us slipped...
The breakfast area which was included was nice in two extra big dining rooms. We ate there both mornings and had no complaints. For a $99.00 king and breakfast included in downtown Chicago, you couldn't go wrong! It was centrally located and we could walk to just about everywhere we wanted to go. The miracle mile was just a few short blocks away. I think if we can get a good price, we will probably always stay here when in Chicago.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PalmTreeSeeker4ever
Janita W, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2013

THANK YOU so much, PalmTreeSeeker4ever, for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us here at the Hampton Inn & Suites. We are so delighted that you took time out from your busy schedule to write this awesome review. Our team always strives to give the service our guests expect & deserve.

We appreciate the comments regarding the quality of our beds & our breakfast, and the cleanliness of our guest rooms. In addition, I would also like to apologize for the early disturbance from our housekeepers. We understand that guests tend to sleep in on the day of departure to recuperate from all the fun they experienced while visiting our beautiful city. We will discuss this issue with our housekeeping staff to develop a solution that will work for both our housekeeping staff & most importantly, our guests! I have also passed along the information regarding the slippery floors in the pool area to our chief engineer as safety is one of our main priorities. We are always looking for ways to improve the hotel & service we give our guestsso I am very appreciative that you have expressed your comments & concerns so that we better enhance your experience for next time. We look forward to having you back with us here at the Hampton Inn & Suites again soon.

E: Janita.Walton@hilton.com

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 6 January 2013

The hotel itself was nice overall. We got in early and only expected to leave our bags to begin our trek around the city but our room was ready so we were able to freshen up after a long train ride before heading out. I thought that was very nice to let us check in a few hours early.

They are up front about the fire station noise so that came as no surprise to us. The breakfast was really nice in comparison to some that are offered at other hotels and we loved that the internet here was complimentary. The hotel itself is nicely appointed and very clean. I gave it a slightly above average rating because of the good, fresh breakfast and the included internet..which is getting harder and harder to find in decent hotels although if you're looking for a great city view...you won't be finding it here.

We stayed for four nights. I do have a few complaints. We had a king suite so there was a separate living area and kitchenette since we were traveling with older children. We got a great deal through AAA. My first issue was with the bed itself. It looked so inviting and soft and comfortable. Until you lie on it..hard as a rock. My husband and I both woke up every morning with stiff necks and sore backs. We are not old, arthritic, nor have any condition to make us so. We were so sore we had to go buy a bottle of pain reliever and proceeded to take it each morning before going out. Hard beds on top of the sirens make for not so good rest.

Our second issue is each afternoon we'd come back to our room after 5 pm and housekeeping would've just finished cleaning. Not a huge deal until our last morning there, they knocked on the door at SEVEN AM to clean our room. Are you kidding me? Did you get my keys because we've checked out? Ridiculous. It seemed they were in a hurry to be rid of us. We left by 10 am. Our only morning to sleep in on our trip and we were up that early anyway.

Also, the air was so dry in the room that we all woke up with bloody noses each morning.

The pool area is very nice, beware the floors though. Any surface is slippery when wet but they have typical smooth (slippery when dry) ceramic tile floors. I noticed many people wary of walking far on it without street shoes. It's also very loud and not very big overall.

Overall I would recommend it. It's a nice area. If you can afford it I think the Dana Hotel and Spa is a much nicer place to stay if you don't have children with you and Palomar is right across the street, I say go with a Kimpton Hotel any time you can. It's worth the few extra bucks you might pay if you don't score a deal on SniqueAway. This hotel is definitely worth the money we paid but just be prepared for the sirens, very firm beds, and an over eager house staff when it comes time to leave and don't forget the saline spray.

If you're looking for the best place nearby to eat. The Purple Pig, hands down.

1  Thank NickAndKaren

THANK YOU so much, NickandKaren, for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us here at the Hampton Inn & Suites. We are so delighted that you took time out from your busy schedule to write this awesome review. Our team always strives to give the service our guests expect & deserve.

We appreciate the comments regarding the quality of our breakfast & the central location of our hotel. I would first off like to sincerely apologize for our housekeepers disturbing you on so early on your day of check out. I am also saddened to hear that you were not 100% satisfied with the quality of our bed. While we do strive to make our guest's stay with us as comfortable as possible, I do apologize that your experience was anything less than that & that it has caused you & your family so degree of distress. We as we are always looking for ways to improve the hotel & service we give our guests so I would love to be able to discussion your past stay in a more personal matter. If you could please email me (listed below) so that we can discuss ways that I shine some light on an otherwise gloomy experience. Hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed 4 January 2013

This hotel was a nice play to stay in the heart of downtown Chicago, in walking distance of many amenities. The staff was friendly and hard working during my stay and the quality of the room was very nice and clean.

Everything was great up until our last day when my wife asked for a late check-out of 1pm. She was told that it would not be a problem. We went out to brunch and returned back to the hotel at about 12:45pm and we were locked out of our room. No big deal, I can understand why this would happen as we were past the standard 12pm checkout time. I went down to the front desk and explained the situation and the person working gave me a replacement key. I went back upstairs, they key she gave me still didn't work. By this time my wife and hungry 9 month old were getting a little impatient. I went back downstairs, waited in line and got a second key (this time they had to verify it was me by looking at my DL, not sure why they didn't have to do this the first time). Anyway, got a new key, went back upstairs and finally got in the room. By this time, it was about 1pm and my wife starts to nurse our 9 month old. 5 minutes later, the housekeeper comes pounding on the door asking us why we aren't out yet. I explained that we were delayed due to the key situation and she just gave me a blank stare and walked away. One minute later, I received a phone call from the front desk asking why we weren't out of the room yet. I explained that we would have been but that our key wasn't working plus we asked for a late checkout. She then became defensive and rude and stated that there was no 1pm checkout listed for us. I told her that I apologized about this but that it wasn't my fault as my wife called earlier and confirmed that it was okay. We hung up the phone. Also, during this whole time I have the valet calling me asking me when are we ready for him to help us with our bags as he wasn't willing to leave the cart with us for us to load up all of our items. Anyone with a baby I am sure can understand it may take a few minutes to load the cart with all of the baby gear, yet they weren't wiling to leave the cart with us. Finally, I had to "sneak" a cart from the lobby up to our room so we could take care of it ourselves.

By 1:15pm, my wife and I were ready to leave (would have been 1pm if the keys worked and they didn't harass us several times). We scrambled to get everything loaded up in a panicked fashion because of how we were harassed to leave. We loaded the car and exited the premises by 1:20pm.

A few days later we check our credit card statement and we were charged an extra $103.71 on top of what our receipt stated! Between calling the hotel MULTIPLE times and the corporate guest service number with NO CALL BACKS, we have probably spent about TWO hours trying to get this refunded. No one could give us an explanation on why we were overcharged. Finally, I just reached someone at the corporate guest service number who stated she was able to get this refunded and it was due to the fact there were two reservations booked under our name.

If it wasn't for their disorganization and lack of follow-up/follow-through this hotel would have earned 4 or 5 stars in my book.

Room Tip: The higher the better
3  Thank bryan22
Janita W, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2013

THANK YOU so much, bryan22, for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us here at the Hampton Inn & Suites. We are so delighted that you took time out from your busy schedule to write us a review.

We appreciate the comments regarding our great location & friendliness of our staff. I am saddened to hear that you felt "rushed" to leave the hotel after your key did not work properly. Our intentions were not to do so by any means because we loved having you & your family here with us. We are always looking for ways to improve the hotel & service we give our guests so I thank you so much for sharing the details of your check out experience. We will review our late check out protocol & make the necessary adjustments. We will also discuss the details of the proper protocol with our housekeepers & housekeeping supervisors. I would also like to apologize for the lack of follow-up from hotel management regarding the double charge to your credit card. I was able to speak with Guest Assistance to inform them that I would take care of the credit for the No Show reservation. Somehow, there were 2 seperate reservations made; 1 in your wife's current last name & the other in her maiden name due to arrive 1 day later than the original reservation. I will admit that the situation was a bit confusing. Please allow at least 72 business hours to have those funds refunded to your account. Again, I sincerely apologize for any mishaps that occured during your stay. Through it all, we would love to have you & your family come visit us again & we look forward to having you back with us at the Hampton on your next trip to Chicago. Please feel free to contact me if you are in need of any further or future assistance.

Reviewed 4 January 2013

The staff was very nice and helpful. that was the only hotel of many that I visit in which they called me from the front desk after cheking in to ask if the room is ok and if we need something. great location and a really good breakfast! absolutely recommend!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Shirry1
Janita W, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2013

THANK YOU so much, Shirry1, for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us here at the Hampton Inn & Suites. We are so delighted that you took time out from your busy schedule to write this awesome review. Our team always strives to give the service our guests expect & deserve.

We appreciate the comments as we are always looking for ways to improve the hotel & service we give our guests. We look forward to having you back with us at the Hampton on your next trip to Chicago.

Reviewed 4 January 2013

We spent 4 nights at the Hampton Inn and Suites between Dec. 29-Jan. 2nd traveling as a family for the holidays to see Chicago. We had two suites--one for my family of 4 with 2 adult children, and one for my parents who are over 75. We found the Hampton Inn and Suites to meet or exceed every need we had. It was easy to access by taxi from Union Station ($8) and the valets and porters were right there to assist us with bags. The lobby was large and there was convenience store for snacks, souvenirs, and incidentals. There were 3 large elevators that easily accommodated our luggage. The rooms were spacious, clean, and beds were comfortable. We needed a few more blankets and pillows and they were brought up promptly. Every staff member was very friendly, greeted us, and was more than willing to make our stay as comfy as possible. The breakfast room also was very large---able to accommodate a full house of guests over New Years. The selection at breakfast was different every day---omlets, fried potatoes, scrambled eggs, sausage, waffles, cereals (including granola!), oatmeal with toppings, delicious fresh grapefruit, danish.....beautiful and always plentiful. The breakfast staff were very friendly and always able to assist those who spilled or needed another chair. Coffee, tea, and hot chocolate were available all day. The pool and hot tub were used by many--we just used the hot tub which soothed our frozen cores from shopping in the teen temps. The fitness room had 2 elipticals and 2 treadmills as well as free weights. There was always room on the machines. You could access Tratoria and Ruth's Chris Steakhouse from the hotel, however we did not eat there. It was busy and a bit loud on New Years, but the rooms are well insulated and that did not bother us. They had a security person monitoring the evening and actually came by and asked us to keep our door closed for safety---thank you! Also, the fire station was next door, but again that did not bother us. We enjoyed watching them come and go and of course on New Years they were going all night. The location is fantastic! We hopped the free trolly on State St to the Navy Pier. There are restaurants and bars all within a short walk. My dad liked the bar on State and Illinois (Snickers) and we enjoyed Blue Chicago bar on Clark (awesome blues!) The Shops at Northbridge with many stores is 2 blocks away. Millenium Park and the Bean are a 15 min walk; John Hancock is also a 15 min walk. I am already mentally planning another trip back to this amazing city and will be staying at this hotel because it was one of the best I have stayed in. **an extra towel rack and trash can in the bedroom would be the only things I could recommend.

Room Tip: Suites are the best! We had rooms on the end which we found to be more quiet.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family

THANK YOU so much, rplove5662, for sharing the experience of your recent 4-night stay with us here at the Hampton Inn & Suites. We are so delighted that you took time out from your busy schedule to write this awesome review. Our team always strives to give the service our guests expect & deserve.

We appreciate the comments regarding the helpfulness of our staff & the comfort of our suites. We are more than happy that we were able to accomodate you & your family, especially your 75+ year old parents. We are always looking for ways to improve the hotel & service we give our guests, so your comments about the extra towel rack & trash can in the bedroom of the suites. Those recommendations will surely be mentioned to our higher managers. Now its time to turn that dream about returning to Chicago a reality. We look forward to having you back with us at the Hampton on your next trip to Chicago from beautiful Florida.