“Fabulous people & location!”

Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown
Ranked #45 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Sydney, Australia
“Fabulous people & location!”
Reviewed 3 June 2012

We stayed here last Nov for a week at the end of a four week holiday, my husband, myself and our 27 yr old daughter. We were a bit tired and it was so nice to arrive at the Hampton and have such lovely helpful staff, nothing was too much trouble. The complementary breakfast was wonderful with lots of choices. Kids and adults alike loved the make your own waffles. Rooms were large and very comfortable and I loved having a laundry in the hotel I could go and use at any time. Because they knew we were from Australia the staff asked every morning was there somewhere they could give us directions to or suggest places for us to see, on our return they would ask how our day was and could they make dinner reservations for us etc. All up great place to stay, will stay again if I return to Chicago.

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank Jenbo61
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (493)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Carrickfergus Co. Antrim Northern Ireland
Reviewed 2 June 2012

I've been a fan of the Hampton Inn chain since first using it some years ago. I don't think I've ever stayed in one which has let the side down and the Downtown Chicago is no exception. Reception was welcoming and efficient. Our room was fresh, bright and immaculately presented for our arrival. The Breakfast room on the second floor overlooked a crossing so there was activity in the street below to watch over breakfast. The choice of food was good and the cereal and fruit selections were great. Fresh fruit, tea and coffee were available throughout the day.
The location of this hotel is a real winner. A few minutes walk from both the Magnificent Mile and Navy Pier, it is also close to the boat tour docks and a good restaurant area. I did find the noise of the fire trucks disturbed my sleep on our first night there but asked for some earplugs from reception and had a great night's sleep on our next two nights.
I think the advantages of its position and a great overall standard outweigh the odd night when there is more than one callout next door. And those earplugs really work. Its proximity to the fire station wouldn't deter me from going back.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tripstaker
RossGuthrie, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this review, 2 June 2012
Tripstaker,

I am glad that you had such a great time enjoying out perfect location in downtown Chicago. I am so glad that you were able to take advantage of our complimentary earplugs, as you said, they really do work! Many guests that visit us are not used to the hustle & bustle (and the noise that comes with) in a downtown urban area. That is why we offer complimentary earplugs.

We look forward to having you back at the hotel on your next visit from Northern Ireland!

Ross Guthrie
Assistant General Manager
Victoria, Texas
Reviewed 1 June 2012

The Chicago Downtown Hampton is across the street from a fire station. I should have thought something was wrong when there was a bowl of ear plugs at the console table on my floor. Plus, I stayed on a holiday weekend and the staff was absolutely unable to control people who had obviously drunk way too much. I stay in Hamptons when they are available because of the ambience and service. NOT THIS ONE EVER AGAIN. And, my son and his wife had a laptop and purse stolen out of their room when they had a "no service please" sign on their door with no concern by the management to assist them in recovery. The credit card in the purse was used within an hour of it going missing. HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE FOR ALL!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Jan J
Jan J,

I want to assure you that we take issues of theft very seriously at our hotel. I have sent you a private message in regards to your stay; you may contact me at the hotel so that we may investigate this issue of missing items from your room.

I do apologize about encountering other guests that had too much to drink in the hotel. We do take this matter seriously as well… upon notification of any guests of the hotel acting inappropriate, we send security up immediately.

Again, please contact me at the hotel so that we may assist you with your past stay.

Ross Guthrie
Assistant General Manager
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 1 June 2012

We have stayed here for the past 3 years because it has consistently been well run and the property well maintained, and is in a terrific location. During our most recent visit, we couldn't help but notice how the staff seemed genuinely interested in making sure that everything suited us. We highly recommend this property.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 31 May 2012

Our visit to Chicago became much more enjoyable by staying at the Downtown Hampton Inn. The facilities are somewhat dated and the complementary breakfast acceptable, however the staff is a real joy. They are friendly, and some actually start to call you by name! Any question we had about eating, entertainment, directions, was quickly addressed and answered.

Room Tip: There is a fire station on the West side of the hotel. During our visit we did not experience any s...