2,797 results
All reviewsfire stationfire departmentgreat locationfree breakfastcorner suitebreakfast roomnavy pierhear sirensfresh fruitlight sleeperwithin walking distancechicago downtownhot breakfasthot tubbreakfast stafffront desk staffthe magnificent mile
Reviewed 25 October 2011

My friend and I decided for a quick weekend getaway over the busy Memorial Day Weekend in Chicago. Searching multiple hotels online, the Hampton Inn & Suites offered a great rate package that included Free Parking. In addition, the hotel also offers Free Breakfast, Free Internet, and a nice pool, hot tub and sauna! That all adds up to a lot of value in the heart of downtown. Our room was very nice and stylish, clean and featured a single cup coffee maker. Our room didn't have a microwave or refrigerator, but I wasn't expecting either. I'm not sure if this is true of all rooms. The bathroom was modern and fresh and Hampton Inn (this is my 2nd stay) have really soft bath towels! The softest of any chain actually.

The only 'miss' for the hotel is the valet didn't understand our reservation, and instead directed us to self park. His directions included making a left turn which required breaking the law in order to do so. Upon check-in, we were advised that the valet should have parked the car. The front desk agent at check-in was exceptional, and apologized repeatedly. She really did her best to make up for the mistake, and was extremely professional. In the end however, I had to ride with the valet, to the ramp to locate my car so they could park it properly. Not the best solution.

We indulged in the pool, hot tub and sauna, which were all very lovely on a rainy Sunday. Like any hotel, the only downside in this area are parents who are too busy texting to watch their young children run around.

One nice feature is the hotel is connected through interior access to two restaurants, including Ruth Chris Steakhouse. Granted, Chicago is home to great restaurants on every corner, but this was a nice amenity. As was the complimentary umbrella, which we scored before they ran out.

Complimentary breakfast was as expected, and as always, very busy in a family friendly hotel on a holiday weekend. The staff managed this chaos well, keeping most food well stocked. If I was on business, this would have proved less than pleasant.

At check-out, we were genuinely asked how our stay was, and with the exception of the parking dilemma, everything was excellent. I would recommend and return to the Hampton inn & Suites for a leisure visit, or midweek business trip.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank historytraveler27
RossGuthrie, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2011

drakkar91,

I just wanted to thank you for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us. Our team always strives to give the service our guests expect & deserve. I appreciate the comments as we are always looking for ways to improve the product and service we give our guests.

I am so sorry with the misunderstanding with the valet team. The hotel has no self parking option, although there are many other lots in the area not affiliated with the hotel that you may park your car. I am sorry they misunderstood what you were asking for.

You mentioned that you did not have a fridge in your room. I wanted to let you know that this is an amenity that we offer at the hotel. Our most basic rooms do not include a fridge, but we do offer upgraded rooms with fridges. We have our King with Wetbar rooms which are a standard room like you had with the addition of a wetbar with a minifridge & microwave. These King with wetbars rooms typically are an additional $5 per night. If you would like more room or need a room with 2 beds, we offer great deals on our suites. Anywhere from $20 to $60 more per night will get almost double the square footage of a standard size room & offer a kitchenette with Fridge & Microwave, separate living & sleeping area & two TVs.

We look forward to have you back at the Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago – Downtown the next tiem you are in Chicago!

Reviewed 24 October 2011

We were in town for the Chicago Marathon and the hotel was SOLD OUT. That fact though did not at all impact the level of service, cleanliness or enjoyment of our stay which I think says something. Any requests that we had or situations that came up every person we interacted with was nothing but accommodating and not only willing, but INTERESTED in doing whatever they could to make our stay perfect. The continental breakfast was DELICIOUS and had a great variety - the room itself had great views and was very comfortable. The location of the hotel is perfect, we didn't need a car the whole weekend - took a train from the airport to the hotel and anything you could want is within walking distance. The 7-Eleven across the street was handy for little snacks or forgotten toiletries. The gym is great as is the pool. After our stay here I am looking into joining the Hilton Honors program - if all their hotels are like this I don't know why I would stay anywhere else.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank knarte
Reviewed 23 October 2011

This hotel was exactly right for us, contributing to a perfect Pops-and-Son Chicago fun weekend. We were there Oct. 6-9, 2011, a crunch weekend of the annual Chicago Marathon. But we booked in early August, and got two excellent, adjacent 10th-floor rooms. I’m 65, a writer and former Chicago news reporter, and my son is 30, an elementary school teacher. We hadn’t been to the Windy City since my son was in middle school. Now, he wanted to join me in my old haunts -- hoist a beer with me at Billy Goat’s, catch some Chicago blues, spend some “retro” time together. So with no itinerary, we left our wonderful wives back in North Carolina, flew into Midway and hired a cab to the hotel (and back on Sunday, about $45 each way). Thanks to the central location of the Hampton Downtown, the rest of the time we were able to walk and take cheap ($2.25 bus, cash-only) public transportation to everything. From check-in through every part of our stay, our experience with new manager Katherine (sp?) and her staff was amazing. By the time we left, we’d made some new friends at the front desk of this venue. Yes, the fire station is next door. And also nearby are the House of Blues, a lovely Lou Malnati’s deep-dish pizza restaurant, Michigan Avenue, transportation, you name it. Besides, fire -- and fire stations -- are part of Chicago’s very DNA. So get the free earplugs from the front desk if you think city sounds won’t let you sleep. We didn’t, and sirens didn’t bother us. Cities are noisy. But I found this fire station less bothersome than garbage trucks in New York alleys, cop sirens in New Orleans and crazy street traffic in Boston. In fact, we really enjoyed talking to the guys at the station. This is a great location with fine amenities at a fair price. If you need frou-frou, spend that $600 a night up the street for the stinky soap and stay in your room all day. But if you’re going to CHICAGO, spend the $200 or so here, enjoy clean and spacious quarters, save time with the free Hampton fruit/eggs/cereal/sausage/breads/coffee/juices etc. breakfast (or spend some extra and go down the street if you want to really “do” some other breakfast), and then get out and enjoy this great city. The staff at this Hampton venue contributed greatly to our memory-making.

Room Tip: Higher floors, rear rooms might be quieter. If you think the nearby fire station might be a problem, request free earplugs when you check in. However, we didn't, and we had no problem.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Jim S
Reviewed 22 October 2011

This Hampton Inn was great, the staff was exceptional

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 October 2011

Rooms were nice but I was not as excited as some on here are. Not dirty, just not spectacular. However, location was great. Able to walk to everything.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank SumBeach_1

drakkar91,

I just wanted to thank you for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us. Our team always strives to give the service our guests expect & deserve. I appreciate the comments as we are always looking for ways to improve the hotel & service we give our guests.
Is there anything that we could have done to get closer to get to “spectacular?”

We look forward to have you back at the Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago – Downtown the next time you are in Chicago!