“Excellent food and service.”
Review of Mexique

Mexique
Reserve with OpenTable
Mexique is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #33 of 9,608 Restaurants in Chicago
Price range: US$ 30 - US$ 30
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: West Town
Cross street: Chicago and Ashland
Chicago, Illinois
“Excellent food and service.”
Reviewed 4 May 2012

Mexique is located on west Chicago Ave. in an area that is filled with a large assortment of restaurants with varying types of cuisine in close proximity to one another. Mexique’s cuisine is a fusion of Mexican and French styles. Its dining room is functional and pleasantly decorated in a modern motif.

Recently, our party of four lunched there all for the first time. We had reservations for 12 noon and when we arrived, we were the only customers. After being seated in our choice of tables, our waiter Pedro apologetically informed us that the lunch menus for the day had not been printed and while providing us with brunch menus. I responded that we came for lunch and were not interested in brunch. Pedro consulted with owner and head chef Carlos who was on-site and who then quickly came to our table. He was very personable and explained that a mix-up had occurred with regard to the delivery of raw food ingredients that, in turn, caused a delay in printing the lunch menu. He said that he would personally ensure that he would rectify the problem and the lunch menus would soon be printed. I asked that if in the meantime he could tell us what appetizers would be available. Carlos listed all the appetizers, and on his recommendation we ordered the Sopes De Chorizo (black beans, chorizo, and jalapeno relish on corn masa). By all accounts they were uniquely flavorful and delicious. Soon thereafter we were provided the lunch menu for that day.

A short time later Carlos came back to our table to check on our situation. We asked him for entrée explanations and recommendations, and he provided detailed information about each dish. Two of us ordered the Huarache (flank steak, goat cheese, and black beans on corn masa) and the other two ordered tacos with a variety of fillings, including tilapia, duck confit, pork and chicken. In addition, I asked Carlos if we could taste a small portion of the Cochinita Pibil (braised pork shoulder wrapped in banana leaves) as another appetizer. Subsequently, Pedro set a full order of the Cochinita Pibil on our table that we all thought was delicious. Next came our entrées. All were very nicely presented, very fresh, and well prepared. We all enjoyed the food and ate everything with gusto. The unique blend of Mexican and French seasonings and ingredients was very flavorful.

At the end of the meal Carlos again joined us and asked about our meal. We told him that we thought that the food was delicious. He then told us about his history as a chef as well as the history of the restaurant. As only a few other customers arrived while we lunched, we asked Carlos about the lack of diners. He said that nights, especially on the weekends, were his busiest time requiring the cooking services of him and two other chefs.

We all had a great time, but the finishing touch was that when the bill arrived, the appetizers (i.e., Sopes De Chorizo and Cochinita Pibil) were not included. Thinking that a mistake had been made, we inquired with Pedro who told us that both items were compliments of Carlos. We then sought out Carlos and thanked him for his service and the complimentary appetizers

The ambiance of the restaurant suffered due to the small number of diners during lunch time and the consequential lack of energy that a crowd would bring. Also of note, only wine and beer is served. Nevertheless, based on the quality of the food and the close personal attention given to us by Carlos, I highly recommend Mexique with a rating of four and one-half and look forward to returning soon for dinner.

• Visited April 2012
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Chicago, IL
“One of my Chicago favorites”
Reviewed 17 January 2012

I've been to Mexique 3 times now and will continue to go back for lunch, brunch, dinner, whatever meal they decide to cook. It's fantastic quality without the price to match. Don't get me wrong this place isn't cheap, but what you get for the price is right at the top of my list. My wife likes to playfully make fun of me since this has been at the top of my list for a while (above Blackbird, Avec, Girl and the Goat, etc..) only to be ousted by Next. Do yourself a favor and make a trip here, you will not be disappointed.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Foodie quality, innovative mexican-based cuisine, nice atmosphere, great value,”
Reviewed 8 December 2011

This is a great find. A 7- 10 minute taxi ride from the centre of chicago but worth going to if you like exceptional food and modern cuisine. I have been there a few times, and they never disappoint.
Plus, the price is quite reasonable given the quality of the restaurant. Hope they stay this good.
The risottos, beet salad and daily fish were some favourites, the fish tacos at lunch are special.

Lincolnshire
“Fun dinner, nice service, could use a little more kick”
Reviewed 5 December 2011

We had a fun evening at Mexique with good service and atmosphere. We appreciated our reservation being moved up a couple of hours after our plans changed and our waiter was helpful - even going to the chef twice to get changes due to some dietary restrictions. We began with the Tinga de Pollo appetizers which were excellent. The Barbacoa de Pollo was very good however the Chille Relleno, with a nice presenation, lacked some flavor. Our friends enjoyed the skate wing and Risotto with duck breast a great deal. While our taste would have been for a bit spicier flavorings the meal and experience were well priced and we would go back.

• Visited December 2011
Seattle
“Healthy and delicious”
Reviewed 16 November 2011

Friends took me to Mexique for brunch on a Sunday. There was no waiting and we got a table in the window as we requested. The menu had a variety of choices and I chose a chile relleno which was unlike any I have had before. It was not fried and sloppy with cheese but a nice, crisp pepper filled with chopped vegetables "Stuffed Chile Poblano with Zucchini Sofrito, Azadero Cheese, and Tomato Fondue". It is listed on the menu as a lunch item but it was offered for brunch and I loved it. I did not feel weighty full when I was finished and the flavors were wonderful. I wished I could have tried other dishes on the menu because they all looked interesting and tasty. I will definitely return.