“nothing special but expensive! coffee was 6$!!!”
Review of Mercat a la Planxa

Mercat a la Planxa
Reserve with OpenTable
Mercat a la Planxa is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #164 of 10,254 Restaurants in Chicago
Price range: US$ 31 - US$ 50
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Downtown / The Loop
Cross street: Balbo
Transit: Nearest Red-line Stop is Harrison, head east on Balbo, restaurant is on the corner of Balbo & Michigan. Bus lines are the #3, #127, #129 all three stop at the entrance of Mercat a la Planxa.
Description: Mercat a La Planxa features an extraordinary selection of tapas dishes from cut-to-order charcuterie and cheeses to fresh seafood, steaks and chops, all inspired by Barcelona & Spain's Catalan region. The impressive menu includes an emphasis on meats and seafood served a la planxa or grilled-to-order. At the bar enjoy a tempting array of seasonally inspired sangrias, Spanish-styled cocktails and martinis, and for the wine lover choose from our extensive collection of Spanish cavas, and our carefully selected wine list featuring 40 Spanish wines available by the bottle or by the glass. 3 Private Dining Rooms available for that special event you are planning. From boardroom luncheons and corporate events to anniversary dinners and birthday brunches, Mercat is the perfect location for any celebration!
Reviewed 4 December 2017

too expensive for an average quality restaurant. Had breakfast there. French toast and coffee. Paid $14 for nothing special french toast and $6 for a coffee! I could have a buffet breakfast anywhere else for that price!

Reviewed 3 December 2017 via mobile

5* service, exquisite dishes, fresh and very tasty, delicacy and variety at the Menu.
Comes in my top 5 best restaurant places.

Reviewed 3 December 2017

The atmosphere is classy yet very comfortable open yet room for an intamate meal
We had the tasting menu with the wine pairing The food was spectacular many interesting choice The steak was tender and cooked perfectly and the many vegetable dishes had wonderful flavours It reminded us of a visit we had to Spain .

Reviewed 2 December 2017

Traveling solo for work can be tiresome and sometimes the desire to order room service is strong - but Mercat coaxed me out of my room with a promise of interesting cocktails and boquerones! I arrived to the space via elevator in the newly remodeled Blackstone Hotel on Michigan Ave - WOW! Beautiful and the restaurant carries the theme of octagonal architecture touches so wonderfully! I sat at the bar and initially Nicole was busy and didn't engage much other than getting our drinks - she was very busy as the restaurant was full at 7:30 pm - two other road warriors and I dug into our food and cocktails and shared stories of our travels. The wine list is clean and simple and the cocktails range from sangrias to a Bascule which I had a loved hendrick's gin, honey, lemon, celery bitters, spanish cidre - perhaps experimenting with charring the lemon could change the flavor profile...but Nicole nine years as a mixologist and bartender knows her stuff - we ventured into the Japaneses whiskies later in the evening, which I am fast becoming a huge fan of! My meal was clean and simple, boquerones of course and then followed by the Pulpo con Patatas and the Verde salad. I wish I was staying longer as the brunch looked fun!

Reviewed 19 November 2017 via mobile

Enjoyed our dinner here! Great dining area- high ceilings, spacious seating area, floor to ceiling windows overlooking South Michigan Avenue and Grant Park.

We dined on the pulpo con patatas (octopus), paired with the albondigas (beef and lamb meatballs), and the arroz a la conzuela (rice dish with chicken, chorizo, rabbit). Finally a simple desert of olive oil cake. Everything was delicious.

There is also a full selection of wine, beer and cocktails.