New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Amazing Hotel with Fantastic Service!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of dana hotel and spa

dana hotel and spa
Ranked #46 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Seattle, Washington
“Amazing Hotel with Fantastic Service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2012

I absolutely love this hotel! My room featured floor-to-ceiling windows with an unbeatable view of the Chicago skyline. The huge rain shower and super comfy bed were an added bonus. Everyone from the front desk staff to the concierge to the doormen were very helpful and friendly. Would absolutely stay here again when in Chicago! Highly recommend breakfast at Argent as well--very reasonably priced for high quality eats!

Room Tip: Book a Corner King for the best views!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank eryan34
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (458)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2012

The hotel was excellent. I had a great suite with a great view. Overall a great experience.

Room Tip: Get a suite, and ask for a corner suite if possible.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank emil077
Isle of Portland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2012

I think of myself as young and hip. I am not sure why the experience at check made me felt like I was not cool enough to be staying at the Dana. I stayed here because I had a work function around the corner at Zed451 and this location was suggested by our event coordinator. Couple the cold treatment I received at check in, I was thoroughly unimpressed by my room. I believe it was a "comfy king" but not sure as I was told upon check out that there is a larger room that faces the street.

In any case the room I had was small and dark. The only window was in a small door that opened on to a small balcony. The room primarily was taken up by the king bed and that was about it.

When I Chicago in the past I have had great experiences at the Palomar and Monaco (both Kimpton properties) and will defintely be staying there when I am in the windy city next.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Bob_Engle
Pasadena, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2012

The Dana is in a perfect central location for checking out Chicago's great north side restaurants, bars, and shops, including everything on Michigan Ave and Rush St. It's rooms are very well decorated and spacious. The Tranquil Suite, specifically, has an amazing bathroom and shower, and the beds couldn't be more comfortable. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. Hard to ask for much more given the reasonable cost.

Room Tip: The Tranquil Suite has an amazing spa-like shower (two rain shower heads, jets and two benches!), tw...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tony C
Cairo, Egypt
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2012

This is one of the excellent hotels one can stay in in the world, and definitely in Chicago.. This is not probably a family hotel. It is for singles or couples. Although I did not indulge in the vibrant social weekend life in the hotel, because of congress time, but I certainly liked the feel. Location can not be better.
I have tried two rooms; one night in the Comfy King room, and the rest of my 6-day stay, in the nothing but gorgeous suite room. My booking was through expedia, and as a holder of the Expedia Elite Card, I was entitled to an upgrade upon my check in. The expected upgrade would be the well photographed corner room, but unfortunately "or fortunately for me :-)", that was not available for the entirety of my stay. Reception staff mentioned that can be available in the second morning, and that he left a not of that for me to ask little before noon. In the following morning, that not was not found by his colleagues, and the corner was not available! I was offered an available suite upgrade with us50.0 per night, but then when i reminded of my elite plus card, the smiling helpful front desk manager was contacted immediately and that was significantly reduced, and i immediately accepted.
Both rooms I tried are very comfortable sleep. The comfy king room is extremely small for what is in there, so it can be ok for a very short stay, but definitely not recommended for longer stays. All the amenities were there, but tight walking space. No view, but a small balcony overlooking the west side.
Now to the gorgeous suite room (1901). This is quite a spacious room(s). wide reception area with balcony looking to the magnificent south skyline. Again a wide bedroom with another diminutive balcony to the south. No glass walls. If you want the view, look through either balcony windows, which is I believe a good point if you are looking for a comfortable sleep.
The bathroom was another wide space and in the room, very well designed for a spa-concept hotel. Room cleanliness and maintenance were unbeatable, except the weak signal tv remote controls (I tried 3, one totally not working in the first room -I requested assistance in that and nobody showed up!-, and 2 weak signals in the suite room). I think it is a matter of renewing batteries?! On the other hand, when I had an issue in the safe-box in the room, assistance was almost immediately there.
Staff were helpful when needed. The door men were always and exceptionally very courteous, from the moment when the taxi stopped there on check in day, and all through the stay till the last day. Really wonderful people. If I travel again there, yes I would go there again, and hopefully I get anotherr good room..

Room Tip: high floor, if you can get a good offer by any means: suite room
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo