“Some of the best pizza!”
Review of Papa Del's Pizza - CLOSED

Papa Del's Pizza
Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 9 May 2014

This is another restaurant I was told to try after I moved to the area, and I was not disappointed by the quality of the food. This is some of the best pizza I have ever had! The only problem is the price, easily two times what I would ordinarily pay. It's definitely worth it, though. If you like a nice, deep-dish style pizza, this place is for you.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

We had the kitchen sink thin crust. It was a ton of food, but it was all great. I can't image the deep dish, but it is probably great too.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

I have been eating Papa Del's since junior high school (pre-woodstock), when they first opened on the Champaign side of wright street. I have eaten pizza elsewhere, including in Italy, and in almost every state in the US. So far, I have found no better pizza than Papa Del's. My favorite is stuffed spinach, mushroom, jalapeno and sausage. That is just personal preference. There is nothing like Papa Del's thick pan anywhere that I know of. Thin crust is also hard to compare. There seem to be a few QA issues recently with my last couple of orders (wrong ingredients or inadequate ingredients), but overall they made good on it. Also, they don't take American Express which is a downside and in my opinion is a statement against excellent customer service. Perhaps they should not take Visa and Mastercard and really make a positive statement about customer service.

Reviewed 3 April 2014

We are alums that stopped here on our way home from FL. Called an hour ahead and our pizza was ready when we arrived. Also purchased a frozen to take home. This is the best pizza hands down that you will find anywhere. Legend is, the recipe is a tightly kept secret. Lived in Chicago for last 15 years and can not find anything that comes close. Dining room ceiling could use some attention, though.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

Heard this was the best Chicago style pizza in Champaign so we went. Might go again, might not. The key issues were the environment and service. It was slow service...and the tables are packed in like sardines..so we had very little space. Uncomfortable. Building had maintenance issues like ceiling falling down in one spot and bathroom pretty dirty...but the overall appearance was ok.

The pizza took a long time to bake...45 minutes..which the waitress warned us about before ordering...so that was ok I guess. But it was so salty that it was hard to tell how fresh the food was...and I just didn't care for it.

It doesn't warrant all the 5 star reviews...which I like to give if I can. I'm sorry it's a 3 star restaurant.