“A Few Pitfalls”

I Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #4 of 25 Hotels in Champaign
Reviewed 5 April 2012

All of the previous reviews are true (nice hotel, starbucks and houlihans), but my stay had a few pitfalls.

First the Pros
Great Customer Service
Coupon for free pastry or small coffee with room price
Free water
Comfy beds
Nice/Well stocked rooms
Very close to campus

The Cons
First the room rates are based on occupancy and the 2nd night I stayed cost $40 more making the room probably one of the most expensive in champaign at $159 per night.

The reason for this hike was obvious when a bus load of young girls occupied our entire floor. One major pitfall of the hotel is the rooms are paperthin. You can hear everything that happens in the hall. I could hear someone use a hair dryer all the way down the hall. The girls arrived at midnight waking us up and screaming and running down the halls until after 2am. With no intervention from hotel personnel. Also because I was paying $159 for that night, I cannot believe that school group paid $159 per room and made me feel I was paying a premium so they could get a discount. But that's my opinion and not necessarily true.

A few annoying other things - the maid came by to try and clean our room before 830am and retried again at 9am. We left the room at 915 and when we returned at 230pm the room had not been serviced. Although I give them credit when we asked the front desk it was promptly cleaned. All the staff at the I-hotel were very nice and friendly.

Last a personal pet peeve is that the door to the bathroom will not close completely. It is blocked by a border on the baseboards and so leaves about an inch gap between the door and wall. This makes it somewhat awkward especially if you're not staying with family/ same gender.

Overall very nice hotel but maybe overpriced for room quality.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Katis1621
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for I Hotel and Conference Center

Reviewed 1 April 2012

I had a choice of staying overnight in Champaign-Urbana or Bloomington, and because I wanted to spend the next day walking around my old stomping grounds as a U of I student, I decided to stay in C-U. As someone who stent 8 years living in C-U in the 80's, my hotel expectations were low. When I saw the tripadvisor ratings and a nice rate (it was the Saturday before the end of the spring break), I decided to give it a try with a reservation on the morning of my stay.
To me, it was just an address to put into the GPS as my final destination, so I had no idea it would be south of Assembly Hall, very convenient for my next days walk around campus.

Upon late arrival, the desk knew it was me (a pre-paid room on a slow night), and the desk help filled me in on all of my breakfast options (either free continental or 50% off at the adjoining restaurant), free water bottles, and the extensive list of fitness options.

As I went to my room, I was SO impressed by this boutique hotel. A cool hotel, in my old town of Champaign? I almost wept, my little town is growing up! The hotel is modern and the rooms well designed. It felt a bit like the Hotel@MIT that I visited about a decade ago.

Besides a wonderful sleep and a great bed, loved the shower products and the comfy robe. The design of the shower in the bathroom seemed unique, in that I don't remember often being able to see myself shower in the bathroom mirror, but it didn't bother me (I have bad uncorrected vision).

The room closet has a safe, and I noticed a tote bag. Upon looking at the note, I discovered it was a complementary gift of the hotel. I logged off of the free wi-fi after getting the info for pizza places Garcia's (try a slice of Gutbuster) and Papa Del's (bought a couple frozen pizzas for the ride to Indy), I headed my car in the free parking, and there were Sunday News-Gazettes, Chicago Tribunes, and NY Times in the lobby. It was a great stay, and I checked out to see the campus that was so important in my development. Also, on the way home to Indy, I visited a little gem of a winery to the east, called Sleepy Creek.

THANKS for a great stay!!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 March 2012

We stayed here with our daughter the night before her U of I tour. I was amazed that such nice accommodations exist on a college campus! The staff was beyond friendly, from calling a few days out to make certain of our online reservation to check-in, to calling us the following morning when we had left something at the hotel. Outstanding!! The hotel was beautifully decorated and the rooms were spacious. The beds were very comfortable and the amenities such as robes and quality personal care items were an added bonus. Our reservation included a lite breakfast at the ICafe in the lobby, which serves Starbucks, so we had a nice pastry and coffee before leaving. Additionally, there is a Houlihans Restsurant attached to the hotel for sit down meals. We walked to the college Union for our tour and it was only a 20 minute walk. I would highly recommend this hotel and know that we will be staying here when in Champaign!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 March 2012

If you're coming to Champaign for a fun weekend of football or to see a basketball game, this hotel is perfect. It is within walking distance of campus and has a great atmosphere. Holihan's is attached so there is an awesome full service bar!! I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 March 2012

This has to be one of the best service experiences in all the hotels I've ever stayed. Everyone was extremely accommodating and friendly. I travel a lot and found their hospitality to be unmatched. A bit too far to walk to the university but their van takes you anytime at no charge. And free airport pick up and drop off!

• Stayed: March 2012