Open today: 8:00 AM - 5:30 PM

Reviewed 5 May 2018
lacvue
Austin, Texas
via mobile

All reviews whale watching two hours thomas equipment boat
Reviewed 7 October 2018

We spent two days at Tahiti-iti diving. The first whale watching and snorkelling with Thomas who was very approachable, humorous and kindly translated everything into English for us. They provided all the wetsuit, fins, mask and snorkel equipment and also water and biscuits onboard. The boat also had a canopy for shelter from the sun. We found a mother and baby humpback within 15 minutes of us leaving and stayed with them for the following 3 hours. After about 1.5 hours watching we were allowed to get in. It was a very brief encounter as after about 30 seconds of watching them below us, they swam away. Luckily we had a second opportunity later, this time they were on the surface and we swam alongside them for about 2 minutes until they swam away with ease. We were on the morning session and in the afternoon session that same day the snorkellers also found a mother, baby and adolescent whale and ended up spending two hours in the water with them as the baby frolicked and played on the surface. You can never be certain what the ocean will bring but seeing these gentle giants close up is a memorable experience even if only for a short time.

Reviewed 5 May 2018 via mobile

Went out with Thomas this morning for a spectacular dive. We communicated the entire time in English. He spoke French with the other diver. All equipment was furnished except for the mask that I brought with me. The sea was calm and the water extremely clear. I hadn’t dove in about a year and am a beginner. Thomas looked after me, with great care, ensuring that I saw all special creatures along the wall. The entire dive was handled very professionally. Our dive spot was reached in less that 30 minutes, so much beauty so close to shore.

1  Thank lacvue
Reviewed 4 June 2016 via mobile

Great little dive shop! Everyone was very help and nice! My friend and I went out for a day of diving. It was my friends first time diving in 5 years, Isabella was very patient and a great instructor for a refresher course.

1  Thank SkiPro22
Reviewed 14 January 2016 via mobile

We dived this morning with the beautiful Isabelle as our instructor, who kindly collected us and dropped us off afterwards at our hotel. The dive school and the equipment were in clean and perfect order, and two locals joined us for a drift dive. Isabelle was very thorough and fully explained everything on the dive beforehand in the boat, and spent a lot of time underwater checking that we were OK, and trying to ensure that we saw anything on offer. We saw three turtles and one black tip reef shark, as well as beautiful corals and plenty of smaller fish. There was also a giant barracuda. The dives during whale season sound sensational. One of my favourite dive experiences.

2  Thank Rory W
Reviewed 4 October 2015

This is a nice dive shop at Tahiti-Iti ("the peninsula") with different dive sites. They also offer whale watching tours, which I also took, and we were able to see a mommy whale and her baby, and snorkel really close to them, even though it took us more than two hours to locate and get close to them, as they move fast.

The only problem is that some of the staff have a bit of the undesideable "French attitude," which is having the ability to understand and speak English, but refusing to do so "just because."

Also, they were on the lazy side, and not particularly keen to present me with diving options for my next days, even though I told them I was staying at the Peninsula for 15 days and was planning to make several dives. They just told me to call them to arrange (duh, I was there in front of them and I don't have a local number).

I also inquired them about an Advanced Open Water course/certification I was willing to take, since I was staying at the Peninsula for so long, but they were not particularly interested in selling me the couse. So I took my money and did my business with another dive shop, which were much more responsive.

Too bad for them, they are losing money with this attitude.

1  Thank Gabriel T
LIONEL H, Directeur général at Tahiti Iti Diving, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2016

Thank you for your commentary about the whales. Sometimes it takes time to find them as they never settle at the same place or they do more than 20 minutes apnea.
About the "french attitude" of some of the staff, I'd like to precise that we try to do our best to welcome people in general and english speaking tourists particularly. English is not our mother tong, some of our staff is not fluent in english but there's always at least one staff who speaks english.

I really don't undestand why we didn't suggest you to dive at the peninsula. We dive every day, even during the humpback-whale season and there's always availability to dive because we have 2 boats. We have a good reputation in Tahiti, we are not a crowded and busy center and we have a welcoming team, so we sincerely regret you didn't even try to dive here and wrote such a bad commentary.

Morover we are a PADI dive center, we train from Open Water to Dive Master. Maybe it was such a busy moment that we misunderstood your request. Or we didn't have an instructor available to be "entirely dedicated" to your advanced PADI lesson (we work seriously and only with instructors or trainees directly supervised by instructors (as required by the law)). That's why and specially during the whale season, and for PADI or french certification, the best is to ask for it a week in advance to get a better service.