New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Hilton Chicago/Indian Lakes Resort

Hilton Chicago/Indian Lakes Resort
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Bloomingdale
Schaumburg, Illinois
“Luxury Resort? I don't think so.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2012

First of all, make sure to get an outside room, not one facing the atrium, because there's a big six story open space on the inside and people's voices echo all over the place, whether they are at an early breakfast or up late coming from one of the hotel bars. (Lots of weddings and conventions.) I stay there because it's convenient to visit family. This time, I made sure to get an outside room overlooking the golf course and it was quiet but the hotel was not nearly full either. And they first tried to give me a room on the atrium side until I complained. Can anyone in this country do their job right the first time? However, on at least two of the five days I was there, and I'm sure this went on daily, a maintenance man was clear-coating some of the wooden chairs in the lobby with lacquer, no protection under or around them so it was going all over the rug. I went to the business center downstairs, which is convenient if you don't carry a laptop or smartphone. It's open to the atrium and I could inhale the lacquer as I was going down the stairs. Probably could have gotten a good buzz if I lingered. That should be done outside. ANyone could see hime doing it, the bell captain, front desk people, whoever- noone said a word.
As for the room itself, it rained the last night I was there- I had plugged my phone into an outlet near the window and the rug in that corner was all wet. There's a big metal and rubber doorstop two inches from the bathtub that you could easily forget was there, put the bathmat over it and step on it when you get out of the shower. Caulking around the toilet was a non-existant mess. Bring earplugs because the heating/air-conditioning is LOUD. Most of the suspended ceiling pieces in the bathroom were cut wrong- some hanging down. Closet door wouldn't close- out of the track. I tipped the maid adequately for the nights I was there and asked her in a note written in English and Spanish for four packets of regular coffee instead of any decaf- she did that once. Please, see the pictures. I complained to Hilton and the hotel did give me a free night and a little compensation. However, for the price, if not for the family convenience, I wouldn't stay here unless I was a golfer.

Room Tip: Outside room.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
New Lenox, Illinois, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012

We stayed here for our Anniversary and the professional pictures on the site are very deceiving. The rooms are no where near as nice as they appear on their site. The carpet throughout the place is very old and stained beyond repair. The hall way and bedrooms are very small and smell molded and like smoke, it is not a good sleep for anyone with or without a respiratory issue, they are old rooms like 1970's old. The only pluses to this place are the restaurant the bars, and the staff were very nice but this place is extremely over priced. I was completely disappointed as a Hilton rewards member I will never ever stay here unless they do a complete over haul to the facilities. With the prices of their rooms and golf packages they could at least put some money into bringing this place up to date.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Bloomingdale hotels

chicago
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

we booked this hotel as a 'stay cation' for the kids. i normally do not write reviews, but we were quite disappointed with this hotel, esp. since it is a hilton property.

the pros:
wonderful wonderful staff. from the front desk, to the waiters, housekeeping, people working in the spa, the golf shop - very friendly staff.

big pool area - didn't have a heavy chlorine smell. kids loved the movies by the pool. water was the right temp. had fun swimming, watching movie.

beds are comfortable.

kids had fun, loved the mini golf and thought the atruim was really cool! (we did not!)

the cons:
our room had a wet feel to it and smelled really musty. i told the front desk, and we were given the chance to change room, but i noticed the entire atrium had that 'musty smell'.
something was def. in the carpet or air, b/c two of my kids were coughing, had to use asthma meds (one has pretty bad asthma though). my kids had a rough night. we almost left the hotel in the middle of the night. the carpet in the room was heavily stained. needs to be replaced.
the hotel is just dated and in major need of a face lift. we didn't care for all the honeycomb shapes. the cave bar was just a bit odd. not a lot of dining options. we tried to eat dinner at 6 and our only option was shiraz on the water. it was a small place, people were celebrating anniversary dinners, the menu was losbter and steak - and we showed up with three small kids, when we really just wanted a place to grab a sandwich. (yes, on the menu, but the food was more fine dining). with that said, it was fine, they worked with us and got us in and out!

we wish we didn't have the problem with our room, b/c the kids did have fun, but now that the kids are sick (and weren't before we visited) and when we unpacked our clothing, all of it smelled like an old basement -clothes we didn't wear, but were in the bags in our room. .. we will not be returning.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank jmd5
Stockton, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

My stay here was for a convention with meetings. The convention area was away from the hotel proper. However, all efforts were made to accommodate the older members of our organization. Shuttle service was provided between the areas which helped these members. Food and staff were very accommodating. Rooms were spacious with a large bathroom. The quietness of the room was great.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

This Hilton property is an older one, but it has everything you would expect from a Hilton. The hotel was booked, but the hotel and staff handled the large number of guests exceptionally well. Most times you never realized how full it was. Unfortunately, we weren't able to take advantage of the golf due to the weather, but we were able to observe the braver golfers from our room. Food at Shiraz on the Water was excellent - service was great. The pool layout is unique - only thing missing was a sauna. I think this is our new #1 home-away-from-home in Chicagoland!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bloomingdale
5.1 km away
15.8 km away
Hilton Chicago Oak Brook Suites
Hilton Chicago Oak Brook Suites
#1 of 8 in Oakbrook Terrace

Been to Hilton Chicago/Indian Lakes Resort? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK