Sunset Resort and Campground
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Ash River
See available hotels
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Beachfront
View Hotel
Kettle Falls Hotel(Voyageurs National Park)
  • Restaurant
Wildwood Escape(Crane Lake)
Nelson's Resort(Crane Lake)
View Hotel
Pine Ridge Motel(Crane Lake)
Thunderbird Lodge(International Falls)
View Hotel
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 June 2015

The last time I stayed at Sunset Resort was 50 years ago. I returned knowing that things are never as you remembered, and that's true. In the case of Sunset Resort is was MUCH BETTER than I remembered! We stayed at their full service campground, the only one on Ash River Trail that has 50 amp, water, sewer and free wifi. If you have AT&T wireless, you can expect five bars with LTE service. We watched Netflix with no buffering problems. John and Kristi were gracious hosts that helped us have a wonderful stay. The fishing is the best in the world and being on the edge of Voyager National Park is a tremendous benefit.

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Donald R
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Our 3 rd year back to Sunset Resort . We stayed in Cabin #5. Upon arriving, according to check-in time 4:00pm we were greeted very rudely from the lodge . Got to our Cabin, walked-in right away could smell sewage . Kept unpacking the truck, thinking the smell would go away. Getting the last out of our truck, my husband said: " I cannot take this smell". I said well lets try and see. So we stayed. A couple hours went by smell was still there. We flushed the toilet to just see if that would help. Smell got worse and the toilet didn't go down had to plung plain water. We went to the lodge and said what was going on. We received a attiude . Said someone would be down to look at it. No. one came. Went back and again a rude attitude . So we decided to leave. Not recommend .

• Stayed: July 2014
john g, Owner at Sunset Resort and Campground, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2015

This review was written by a former employee who I had to terminate their employment. The incident never happened and was written to hurt my business. My guests know that I always try to make their stay as nice as possible. john

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Ten years ago, my husband and I stayed in Cabin #7. At that time, the cabin was rustic and quaint. We enjoyed our stay so much when we decided to venture back to Ash River Trail it was a no-brainer, Sunset Resort Cabin #7. After several calls to the resort regarding concerns about water levels and fishing due to heavy rains, we were assured that fishing was good and to come on up. We arrived early and were told check-in is at 4pm..no big deal except for the tone in which that comment was made. We were taken to the cabin and when we went inside we could see sky though a crack in the wall above the kitchen sink and the bathroom floorboards were squishy. Afterwards we walked back to the office to see if another cabin was available. When we were expressing why we wanted another cabin, again we received some attitude from behind the desk. The attitude prompted us to leave, find another place to stay and cancel our reservation. Later that day, when calling to cancel our reservation, we talked to a different person who expressed frustration that we were cancelling our reservation and asked if we wanted to talk to the person who offended us..at this point we said, "Keep the $100 reservation fee. We are cancelling." Later still, the person who had offended us called and apologized. I cannot recommend this resort based upon the visible lack of maintenance on the resort. Perhaps it was a bad day for the person behind the desk. Still, based upon our experience I would not return to this resort.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank fishingfanatics2014
john g, Owner at Sunset Resort and Campground, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2015

This is John the owner of Sunset. I do apologize for the rude behavior of a member of my staff. She no longer works for me. Cabin 7 is indeed an older cabin and is next on my list to rebuild. Everyone that stays with me knows that the resort is priced very modestly and that I am always making improvements on the cabins and grounds, it just takes time to get all the cabins up to the quality that I want for my guests. If anyone has problems with my resort or staff members, please contact me. I am here every day all season long. Thanks, John

Reviewed 20 July 2013

We were looking for place close to Voyageurs National Park for 4 days of hiking and sightseeing. Sunset Resort turned out to be the perfect choice. It is located right on the Ash River close to both the Ash River and Kabetogama Lake Visitor Centers. The first night we were there we saw a bald eagle on our way walking to dinner. He flew overhead and landed on top of a tree on the river. We went on several lake tours, such as the Kettle Falls Tour, which originated very close to Sunset Resort. Tomorrow we intend to hike some of the Kab-Ash Trail which begins right down the street from the resort. John, the proprietor of the Sunset Resort, is extremely friendly and helpful. Our lodging has a bedroom with a queen bed. It has a full bathroom and full kitchen combined with a living/TV room. Outside we have a picnic table, a grill and fire ring. John offers free canoes, kayaks, and a paddleboat.

Room Tip: Pay by check instead of credit card to save 3%.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank slicz
Reviewed 7 January 2013

My wife and I were looking for a place to get away and have some quality alone time - without distractions - to reconnect and set the direction of the next year. We are currently living in northern Minnesota, and wanted to find somewhere relatively close, and were told about the Sunset Resort by a friend who had gone there in years past. It did not disappoint.

The facilities are friendly and welcoming, and the owner - as said in the other reviews - is more than accommodating. We took advantage of the special winter rates (3 nights for 2 adults for around $200 was a huge STEAL last year!) If you go on the weekend, be prepared for lots of snowmobile traffic. If sledding is you thing, look no further! They have premium sled gas right at the lodge, and many other parties were there for the wonderful riding on the Ash River itself. Not having a sled, we looked at rending one from one of the neighboring resorts, but seeing as we were on a budget - decided against it this time. Maybe next year!

We are planning our return, and tell everyone we know about the excellent service. It's nothing extravagant, but for a nice, clean, quiet cabin out in the woods, it was exactly what the doctor ordered! We have found a family tradition.

Room Tip: There are several newly remodeled cabins. We had unknowingly booked one of the older ones, but upon arrival were upgraded (not too busy in early February) by the owner to #3 I think.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple