“Avoid the Yellow Flies!”

Okefenokee Swamp Park
Ranked #1 of 7 things to do in Waycross
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Located in the Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge, the Okefenokee Swamp Park is a convenient point of entry and a magnificent show-window for the "Land of the Trembling Earth." The park's lily-decked water trails, with their miraculously reflective waters mirroring the overhanging beauty, lead to all points in this vast wilderness of islands, lakes, jungles, forest and prairies. Boat tours on original Indian waterways, wilderness walkways, Pioneer Island and native animals in their own habitat, all combine to weave a spell of pioneer American life. Headwaters of the Suwannee and St. Mary's Rivers, Okefenokee is a National Wildlife Refuge which covers nearly a half million acres.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase
Reviewed 5 June 2010

Stay away from here during late May. The yellow flies are awful. They will swarm and bite you on the water. The boat ride was not enjoyable due to massive number of yellow flies on the water. The experience may be more positive when the yellow flies are not around. There were numerous alligators in the swamp. The tour was somewhat boring.

1  Thank mathstud

Reviewed 9 May 2010

Boat tour guide with Okefenokee Adventures was great. To see gators up close, take the drive trail to the last stop and walk the board walk to the observation tower. Not too much more to do other than those 2 activites.

1  Thank JarzenAtl
Reviewed 6 April 2010

The Swamp was such a wonderful adventure! My husband and I spent one glorious day there and are already talking about all we would like to do when we return. We spent the morning exploring the waterways by boat and then spent the afternoon walking the boardwalk. We saw close to 40 alligators and many other animals. We would love to kayak or canoe the swamp during our next visit. There is so much to see--words just can't do it justice.

3  Thank TravPa
Reviewed 15 February 2010

We went to the swamp park on a cool day in April for something to do. I'd heard there was a little train ride, which would keep my 3-yr old happy. The signage and the drive up to the park was a bit cheesy, but don't let this put you off. The park was fascinating. There was a boat ride, which was wonderful and allowed you to smell and see the swamp close-up, and a train ride which was great fun. But there was much more. The people that work there know an awful lot about the swamp and care deeply for it. There was a small shop which sold some of the usual tat, but also had some wonderful things like honey from bees in the park, and they've also assembled a lovely set of tableaux showing what life was like for settlers living there over a hundred years ago. At each stage, the park has made sure there is something for everyone to learn something. For example, at the settlers home there are chickens and goats for children to enjoy, as well as letting you wander through and see what kitchen implements they had. We didn't stay for the animal show, but still really enjoyed it and would highly recommend it as a good daytrip from the beach. There were also loads of places to eat just down the road.

6  Thank DopeyIL
Reviewed 13 February 2010

The only advantage to going in winter is that there are no bugs which I've heard are unbearable in summer. Unfortunately, there are no alligators to see in winter. If you are lucky, you might see one but typically they hide in order to hybernate in winter. Only when it's warm, they like to come out chill on the sun. I was very lucky to see an adult alligator in January. My boat guide mentioned it was unusual. Because winter is low season for Okefenokee swamps and it was raining, I was the only one on the last hour-long boat tour. It was fairly informative but geared towards stories and personal life of the guide rather than biological and naturalistic facts. I had to ask about 90% of the things I was interested in knowing. The tower wasn't finished yet and the boat takes you only through a small area of swamps. I didn't do the train ride because it only goes around the swamp and it's a small train for kids.

However, I did spent an hour indoors, learning about reptiles. The presenter was an amazing reptile loving Native American that also let us hold snakes and take pictures with 2-year alligator. His lecture and discussion were very informative, entertaining and whole-hearted. It was so obvious he loves his job and wants to spread out his passion, especially to kids.

On premises, there is also tiny zoo with bears, alligators, and few other animals. I'll definitely come back in the late spring because I've heard swamps are beautiful when everything is in the bloom. I'll also rent tour guide and canoe in order to see the non-tourist areas.

6  Thank sk_denny