“Best Fried Oysters & Shrimp - EVER!”

Gerald's Pig & Shrimp
Ranked #3 of 59 Restaurants in Tybee Island
Price range: US$ 7 - US$ 35
Cuisines: Barbecue, Seafood
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Takeout
Description: Come as you are, bring the family...eat, drink and be merry. Gerald’s Pig and Shrimp is a casual outdoor dining establishment, backdropped with towering shade trees and located across the road from Tybee Island’s sprawling salt-water marshes. The brick patio is housed in an open air structure, a 14’ high pole barn fabricated with reclaimed materials, beautifully landscaped and decked out with an array of eclectic eye-candy. We specialize in slow-smoked meats pork, ribs and brisket, as well, fresh, Wild Georgia shrimp, fried, boiled or sauteed. All our sauces and marinades are made in house. We use fresh herbs from our side garden. We offer daily specials, dinners, sandwiches, appetizers and local beer, wine and sangria. We’re pet friendly as long as they’re friendly and on a leash and have free parking on property.We strive to ensure our guests’ experience is top-notch by providing fresh, tasty, high quality fare at a reasonable price, in a relaxed atmosphere with exceptional customer service.Planning an event? We also cater, offering choices of Southern Style Comfort Food, Bar-B-Que, Whole Pig-Roast, Oyster Roasts, Low Country Boil, site location, and entertainment.
Reviewed 17 May 2017

I pride myself on being an excellent cook, especially when it comes to frying fish and shellfish. Well, I tried your fried shrimp and oysters last week and I was humbled. Never have I had oysters fried to crispy perfection while at the same time, not overcooked (as most restaurants tend to do.) The batter was perfect ! Both the shrimp and oysters were so fresh, they were probably caught that same day. The place stays packed with both pick up orders as well as those dining in. I can't wait to go back, it's worth the drive from Savannah.

Reviewed 4 May 2017 via mobile

Pretty good food, try the jalapeño hush puppies, good service, great atmosphere, just a little over priced.

Reviewed 3 May 2017

Very unique casual outside dining. Ribs were fabulous. Fried seafood very good. We ordered food to go and the owner came out and offered us wings while we were waiting. Friendly service. Would return.

Reviewed 24 April 2017

On an island where most of the seafood is fried, an it was here...this was a great meal. The shrimp had a batter so delicate, you almost didn't know it was there! My wife had brisket sandwich and she was very happy as well. The place can get a little busu during the day, so consider that if you are in a rush. The owner has a local saltiness to him which we found authentic and entertaining.

Reviewed 23 April 2017

My husband and I were looking for a place to get some fresh seafood on or near Tybee without paying billions of dollars. After looking at several reviews, we settled on Gerald's. The food was average. The fried okra, cucumber salad, and jalepeno hush puppies were delicious. PBRs for less than $2.50 which was all right with me. We shared the low country boil and it was bland. The shrimp was super fresh, but hardly seasoned. The sausage was tough, so much so that I ate around the casing because otherwise it was like chewing rubber. The other problem was the service. The waitresses were nice, but lacked knowledge of the menu. It took a long time to receive our meals, even though we were the only ones in the place for a while. They blamed it on a "huge to go" order that had been placed before we arrived, but I still don't get why it took so long for us to get food. Overall, we left full but wouldn't return.

lookingforfun2, Owner at Gerald's Pig & Shrimp, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2017

Thanks for taking the time to tell us your thoughts. Also for pointing out the freshness of the shrimp. Every now and then we have to hire new staff, I am sorry your server did not have all the information but I am sure she did find out the answers. As for the wait, We receive large to go orders, I do say on the menu to try to give us some notice, but that does not always happen. Sorry you had to wait. There is the marsh across the road that many people enjoy and reading all of the signs that hang on the beams of the open air roof. One of those signs say If you are in a hurry, You might be in the wrong place.
Many times our food is served in a brief period of time, but all of our food is served to order. We would have been glad to have added more spice When the wait staff asked if there was anything else to get you, that might have been the time to speak up and ask.
thanks Gerald