“What a surprise ”

Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

My daughter has just moved to Iwade and we went to the Woolpack for are evening meal . There was four adults and two children who were made to feel welcome as soon as you walk through the door . Excellent staff and the food was delicious. We all received are meals at the same time even though they we all asked for different things . It looked lovely and tasted fresh will definitely be going back as the price was good as well.

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

I have always really praised ‘The Woolpack Inn’ as I have same excellent meals in the past but sadly the last couple of times I have visited this venue I’ve felt that it has really gone down hill, service is poor and the food quality is certainly not as good as it used to be.
The menu choice is poor at lunch times, they took are order today only for the waitress to come back to inform me that the ham wasn’t ready for the ‘Ham, egg & chips.

Sorry, but I won’t be coming back anytime soon.

Reviewed 12 March 2018 via mobile

Didn’t book until few days before and they managed to fit us in. We were 4 adults and 2 children.

I can not fault the service and they were happy to accommodate any request like cream and ice cream with sticky toffee pudding.

They were extremely busy but the food didn’t take long to arrive once our order had gone in and all food was superbly cooked and nice and hot.

The portions were generous too.

The waitress while attentive was not pushy and considering how busy they were did a very good job.

The longest wait we had was for the bill and considering their next sitting was about to start we were not rushed at all.

We have been here before on a normal Sunday and again although busy managed to accommodate us.

This is a real gem of a place and thoroughly recommend. It is also very reasonably priced.

Reviewed 24 February 2018 via mobile

Looking to have some thing diffrent chose a pie from the special board to my surprise it turned out to a pie from the fish shop when asked staff if was home made she said know but was reflected in the price so dont know why put on special board not all bad news wife had lamb shank which she injoyed

Reviewed 20 February 2018

On Saturday evening (10/2/18), 8 of us visited The Woolpack for a meal. I had previously heard some lovely reviews but now regret not asking or checking updated reviews before booking. What was meant to be a special evening turned out to be rather miserable and we will not be returning any time soon, nor recommending the establishment to anyone.

I arrived with my husband and children first and we we offered some drinks by our lovely waiter. He then informed us of approximately 4 or 5 dishes that did not have. I was a little surprised that the evening started off like that. The remaining guests arrived and we ordered some drinks from the bar. My son asked for a chocolate milkshake and to be honest this was just horrendous. It was so watery he did not want to drink it and we changed it for something else.

Our waiter then came to inform us that they had also run out of another dish. We placed our orders which included some fish platters as starters. After a short while, the waiter came to inform us that these platters were also out of stock and we had to change the starters.

Shortly after the starters arrived the waiter once more approached our table to tell us that the meal my sister ordered, the salmon, was not in stock either!!! My husband then requested to see the manager. Some time passed and our waiter came back to tell us they would not charge for my sister's meal. By this time the manager has still not showed his/her face so my husband said that is fine.

The food in general was ok, I had the chicken breast with cream and mushroom sauce that was extremely salty. But by that time I was so over all the problems we had I could not be bothered to order anything else. I also feel the chicken a la creme is very expensive for what you get. £11.99 for one chicken breast with a creamy sauce and some sliced mushroom on top, mash and vegetables. There was really nothing special about it.

All in all it was a very disappointing evening and I found it rather unbelievable that the manager would not show his/her face from the kitchen to come and personally talk to us about the situation. Although my husband told the waiter the manager can leave it, after offering my sister's meal for free, I feel that a professional person would still come and speak to the guests and apologise or at least offer some explanation. The young gentleman who was our waiter, was unfortunately forced to come and give us the bad news time after time and it's really not his fault or place to have to make excuses for a badly run kitchen.

I have a feeling that the kitchen was well aware the other items were not in stock either but if they had listed them all at the beginning of the evening we may very well have gotten up and just left.