New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“charm and service abound” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of New Perry Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Perry
New Perry Hotel
Ranked #8 of 25 Hotels in Perry
Atlanta, Georgia
“charm and service abound”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2011

The New Perry Hotel has been a favorite of mine for years. Just off I-75, it's a great way to break up a boring expressway trip between Florida and North Georgia. It always feels like a mini-vacation to stop there for overnight refreshment, as opposed to one of the big box hotels, and it is more reasonably priced, too. There are two restaurants on-site, the formal dining room with linen table cloths and the more laid back "Tavery" bar with wide screen tv and good bar food. The rooms are small and old-fashioned, the beds are comfy. There is a common porch room between the first and second floors with a table and chairs, games and books. The hotel is under new management. They bend over backwards to give their guests the best service.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Astor, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2011

My husband goes to Perry, GA on business trips a few times a year. We have been staying at the New Perry Hotel for the past five years. When it closed for a year, we had to stay at the Hampton Inn which is very nice, but doesn't have the charm of the old historic hotel... I was so happy when I found out that it was going to be reopened and couldn't wait to stay at the New Perry Hotel again when it re-opened in September. The new owners are very friendly and are working so hard to improve, remodel, decorate, and still keep the historic appearance of the old hotel. The rooms have all new linens, bedspreads/quilts, towells and some antique furniture added to some of the rooms that the owner has collected herself. We were there for four days and nights and saw the owners working from early morning till late at night. It is going to be wonderful when all done but is very nice now. They are starting to paint the hotel exterior. We ate in the restaurant also, and it was delicious. Great choices on menu, good prices, homemade desserts They are trying to keep the same recepies like when the old owners had it and it was a very sucessful restaurant then. We will be going back this weekend Oct. 21st for three or four days to stay in our favorite room in the old historical part of the hotel. It is a charming place to stay and you should try it. I look forward to visiting with the owners. I feel like I have known them all my life. You don't get that with big hotel chains. So try it out, I think you will like it also.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank Julie L
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2011

Took a chance at staying here after a bad experience last time, but..... A complete change from 2 years ago. The new owners are there all the time. They have done so much to make it beautiful again. Brings back great memories. If you were not happy before, take another try at it!

• Stayed October 2011
2 Thank Rvguy1965
Catonsville, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2011

This historic hotel is in refresh mode as new owners bring the historic hotel back to some of its former glory. The hotel was built in 1925 to replace the original Perry Hotel built to service the railroad and stage coach thus the New in its name. The hotel has rooms in the 1925 building and a 1950s motel addition in the rear of the property. Here is a link to an article about the new owners. http://www.macon.com/2011/08/25/1677109/family-moves-to-middle-georgia.html. We live in the next town and stopped for dinner in the dining room and learned of the changes. We will be back to check out the Tavery (pub) now that the liquor licence has been approved. We did not stay in a room so I cannot evaluate that. We did talk with the new owner as she came into the dining room.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MacMacGA
Charlotte, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2010

I came for dog show and was delighted to stay at a place that should have been a Southern Charming Hotel that was pet friendly. I made my reservations with the manger and when I arrived they took my money and then the next morning an aggressive house keeper shouted at me for several minutes about my dogs being on the bed. She talked to me like I was five years old and her child. Highly inappropriate!
The room's bathroom had a running commode and the sink's pipe ran all the water right on the floor of the bathroom. I keep a trashcan under the sink to keep the floor from being flooded. After speaking to the Manger I was told, I should have been given a pet policy AFTER I paid saying there were to be no pets on the bed and pets should be kept in crates while in the rooms. This SHOULD be made KNOWN as we talked on the phone BEFORE they take your money. I would NEVER have stayed there HAD I known their policy. It was only a ploy to take your money, with horrible staff at a run down hotel. The manager did call me at home and told me, she was sure the housekeeper was not trying to be rude. No? Then what was all the yelling and shouting at me about? This place managed by people that have no concept of 'how to' handle conflicts, and nor do this wish to do anything but say "I'm sorry" for poor ethics and poor policies.
The ONLY good thing about this place is the Travey with the great lady behind the bar. So, friends go there, enjoy a drink with her but STAY away from this money trap in the South. Rules should be given BEFORE one takes your money NOT AFTERWARDS.
Robin Eatman