“Best sushi secret for true afficionados, but don't expect...”
Review of Sushi Yoko

Sushi Yoko
Ranked #119 of 335 Restaurants in Norcross
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Reviewed 24 February 2017

Absolutely the BEST sushi secret for true aficionados, but don't expect snazzy decor, exceptional personable service, a wacky choices.

FOOD: Very traditional offerings. You wont see those gimicky "Special Flying Rainbow Dragon Spider Cucamungablahblahblah rolls" etc. and other gimicks - liquid nitrogen blahblah, uni-shooters, floating boats, etc. You get the freshest cuts of fish, perfectly cooked and seasoned rice, PERFECT sizing of the fish in relation to the rice ball, perfect amount of hand pressure when the rice ball is formed so that it falls apart in just the right way just as you eat it; consistent quality, traditional plating.

PRICE: OMG! This place hasn't changed it's prices since the 80s I think! The lunch special is the best deal in town.

ATMOSPHERE: The fact that this place is a dump is testament to the quality of the sushi. Don't get me wrong, the place is absolutely CLEAN and hygienic and there's nothing gross about the layout (they do NOT have stuff like the entrance to the bathroom right in front of dining room or a janitor's closet facing the dining room, etc. ... ) There's nothing to spoil your appetite. It's just that it hasn't been renovated since it was established I'm sure. The place literally has no windows and feels like it's in a basement - except for the expanded annex room that feels like one of those trailers that overcrowded elementary schools use for classrooms. The flooring is uneven so watch your step so you don't trip! "Yoko" must be the Japanese word for "Hole in the wall". They don't even have background music; there's no pond with fish in it, there's no Japanese art, no statue of a samurai warrior, etc. - all the decor that a lot of other places have. It's just a place in the barest sense. Probably not the best place for a first date, but great otherwise esp for families.

Also the fact that it is ALWAYS crowded is testament to the quality of the meals. There is reason for that mile long bench in the long hallway entrance that leads up to the actual entrance to the dining room, but just go a little early or later for lunch or dinner times, and you'll avoid a wait. Even if you do wait, the turnover is fast and there's a Japanese grocery store that is connected that you can shop/browse in to kill time.

Also, the fact that most patrons are Japanese is telling in my opinion.

SERVICE: Attentive, prompt, efficient, accurate, and helpful. Don't expect friendly banter, smiles, jokes, kimono's, etc. There's nothing negative per se; they are not surly or anything. You just won't make a new friend amongst the staff if that's what you want in a sushi restaurant. The just serve - and do it well.

PARKING: Ample and free.

1  Thank EBIATDA
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 20 September 2016

Every year I go to the Japan Fest and get the chirashi at the Sushi Yoko booth. it was tasty and filling. so this year, I again got the chirashi. and it was more tsukemono than fish. and I think the price went up. it was a disappointment.

Reviewed 11 August 2016

I drove past this place for years thinking it was a dive. But one day, someone said we really needed to try it as it's authentic Japanese. My husband and I are really happy we did.

This is not a Sushi joint and it's not Benihana's. It is a Japanese restaurant- Japan style. Their very extensive menu covers an amazing array of small plates and full meals. Yes, it includes sushi and sashimi. Yes, they have hibachi foods, but this is a place you come to savor the treasures of Japan's more "unique" dishes. For example, I had sea urchin, squid and mackerel. There are many other dishes that are unusual and possibly a bit of a stretch for non-Japanese people. But the fact that they are on the menu says that this place is for real.

The atmosphere itself is strange. The building is strange and definitely does not have the "curb appeal" that other Japanese places have. But, if you're brave enough to wind your way to the back and through the doors to the restaurant, you'll be grateful you found this little gem.

Prices are reasonable in my opinion. From $4 for small appetizer type plates to $much more for high end dishes. We spent about $77 for 3 beers and approximately 8 small dishes including the sea urchin which was more expensive. Overall, the prices are average for what one would pay in a sushi joint in Atlanta, but the quality of food and the selection is way better.

I would highly recommend the experience at least once.

Reviewed 4 June 2016

My elderly Japanese mother-in-law loves this place because it's humble. The food was good to great when we first started dining here (regularly, once a week, or every other week) nearly four years ago. Over time, however, the health code rating has gone from 'A' to 'C' and the food and kitchen service is evidence of why. The ramen bowl was so foul even my MIL spat it out, and washed it down with more water than she ever drinks at a time. My husband ordered gyoza, and I ordered tempura udon, with the tempura on the side. The tempura came in the bowl of udon, so it was completely soggy and limp; but the gyoza never came ... and never came ... and never came ... and we asked our server three times, and when she finally delivered it, it was burned, and clearly pre-packaged (probably frozen from Tomoto, the Japanese grocer adjacent to the restaurant).

Another friend with a Japanese mother joined us there once, and my friend admitted to getting sick after. This is terrifying to me as she was about eight months pregnant at the time.

Something has changed in this place that used to be humble, but great. Clearly it's in the kitchen. Until that becomes great again, don't risk your health by eating here.

Reviewed 28 April 2016 via mobile

I went there at lunch time more than 8 years after I visited last time.
They haven't big changes since I visited.
The taste was always good and price was very cheap. The picture's menu is awesome.
I couldn't decide which one I should order.

Been to Sushi Yoko? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK