“okay”

Sushi Yoko
Ranked #118 of 335 Restaurants in Norcross
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Reviewed 20 September 2016

Every year I go to the Japan Fest and get the chirashi at the Sushi Yoko booth. it was tasty and filling. so this year, I again got the chirashi. and it was more tsukemono than fish. and I think the price went up. it was a disappointment.

Reviewed 11 August 2016

I drove past this place for years thinking it was a dive. But one day, someone said we really needed to try it as it's authentic Japanese. My husband and I are really happy we did.

This is not a Sushi joint and it's not Benihana's. It is a Japanese restaurant- Japan style. Their very extensive menu covers an amazing array of small plates and full meals. Yes, it includes sushi and sashimi. Yes, they have hibachi foods, but this is a place you come to savor the treasures of Japan's more "unique" dishes. For example, I had sea urchin, squid and mackerel. There are many other dishes that are unusual and possibly a bit of a stretch for non-Japanese people. But the fact that they are on the menu says that this place is for real.

The atmosphere itself is strange. The building is strange and definitely does not have the "curb appeal" that other Japanese places have. But, if you're brave enough to wind your way to the back and through the doors to the restaurant, you'll be grateful you found this little gem.

Prices are reasonable in my opinion. From $4 for small appetizer type plates to $much more for high end dishes. We spent about $77 for 3 beers and approximately 8 small dishes including the sea urchin which was more expensive. Overall, the prices are average for what one would pay in a sushi joint in Atlanta, but the quality of food and the selection is way better.

I would highly recommend the experience at least once.

Reviewed 4 June 2016

My elderly Japanese mother-in-law loves this place because it's humble. The food was good to great when we first started dining here (regularly, once a week, or every other week) nearly four years ago. Over time, however, the health code rating has gone from 'A' to 'C' and the food and kitchen service is evidence of why. The ramen bowl was so foul even my MIL spat it out, and washed it down with more water than she ever drinks at a time. My husband ordered gyoza, and I ordered tempura udon, with the tempura on the side. The tempura came in the bowl of udon, so it was completely soggy and limp; but the gyoza never came ... and never came ... and never came ... and we asked our server three times, and when she finally delivered it, it was burned, and clearly pre-packaged (probably frozen from Tomoto, the Japanese grocer adjacent to the restaurant).

Another friend with a Japanese mother joined us there once, and my friend admitted to getting sick after. This is terrifying to me as she was about eight months pregnant at the time.

Something has changed in this place that used to be humble, but great. Clearly it's in the kitchen. Until that becomes great again, don't risk your health by eating here.

Reviewed 28 April 2016 via mobile

I went there at lunch time more than 8 years after I visited last time.
They haven't big changes since I visited.
The taste was always good and price was very cheap. The picture's menu is awesome.
I couldn't decide which one I should order.

Reviewed 29 September 2015

Recently had lunch at Sushi Yoko. First, the location is in an odd building, as others have mentioned. Sat at the table and felt that it was unclean. There was a glass cover over a dirty table cloth of sorts, which was somewhat unappetizing. My wife had curry rice which was awful. She took one bite of what was supposed to be beef, but found that it was a cube of fat. It was basically $7 for rice and some pre-made sauce with tiny scraps of meat? which my wife was afraid to eat after biting on but fortunately not swallowing the cube of fat. I had a bowl of udon which was watered down. Are they trying to save money on the broth? I would not feel confident to eat raw fish in this establishment, based on the experience. Service was also not particularly friendly.