“Catfish!!!”
Review of Kaity's Downtown

Kaity's Downtown
Ranked #23 of 71 Restaurants in Monroe
Price range: US$ 5 - US$ 38
Description: Contemporary Southern Seafood and Steaks Restaurant in beautiful Downtown Monroe!
Reviewed 28 May 2018

I have tried catfish all over, but this place is hands down the best!!! We go here at least once or twice a month. They have this salsa that is great and the deserts are nice! Great atmosphere, the one downside is you will wait and the service is somewhat slow.

Reviewed 23 December 2017

On a Thursday evening my girlfriends and I went to enjoy the holiday festivities in Downtown Monroe. Kaity's is in a great location, only G Maps wasn't 'spot on' to get us there. Monroe doesn't signify N. or S. Wayne on street signs, which added to the difficulty.

We didn't have to wait to be seated at all, even for a large group at 7pm!
Our server was very cheerful and professional, even when she had bad news to deliver us first, about things they were out of. They may have been caught off guard with the crowd of customers on a week night, because the city did a great job of pulling in the people.

It was easy to find dinners to please everyone, and the fried green tomatoes and onion rings came out first, very quickly. They were awesome.

Our dinners took a long time to come out, but we didn't mind, as we had much catching up to do. My beef tips on rice with broccoli was very good. The chicken fingers very large, the hamburger steak with mashed potatoes was good, said another in my group.

Our tea and coffee were kept refilled and she checked on us often, but not so much that we were bothered, like other places do now. The RR was clean, and the other side of the building that they don't use was dark and not needed.

Parking was challenging, yet I think we could have used a vacant grassy lot across the street. Also, if you pass the building, there is a parking lot that is available, yet difficult due to the uneven, broken pavement at night. Perhaps the locals know that.

All in all it was a good dinner, and I would go back again.

Reviewed 23 July 2017

Ordered two fried pork chops with sides, hamburger with fries, and beef tips with sides. When I got there, waitress tried to tell me there were two fried pork chops in that one box. I made her open the box - guess what - one pork chop. She rolled her eyes at me and returned to the kitchen. Another waitress looked at the computer and said the order was right - sounds like the first waitress didn't prepare it correctly.

When I got home - neither pork chop looked fried. There were 4 squash rounds as my side - that's right, 4... about the size of a half dollar; and about as thick as a half dollar.

Spent $41 for a very disappointing meal. Will not return, will not recommend.

Surprise was the beef tips were pretty good just a little too salty.

Reviewed 20 May 2017

We met some old friends there for dinner at 7:15 Friday night. It was not busy and we were seated immediately. Our waitress was very polite, helpful, and attentive. The wife had a sirloin and baked potato, I had fried shrimp and oysters, our friends has grilled shrimp and fried catfish. My shrimp and oysters were a little overcooked but acceptable. The oysters tasted a little off, not bad but not good either. My wife's baked potato was not done, still hard. If we were invited back, we would go but it would not be our choice if dining alone.

Reviewed 15 May 2017 via mobile

We made reservation for Saturday May 13 . I asked if they had plenty of crab legs as we wanted to feast on what has always been very good crab legs . The price has been $31.95 for all you care to eat . She said they had plenty of the legs .
Upon our arrival we were promptly seated and given menus.We told the waitress that we didn't need a menu that w were there for the all you could eat special. She got a funny look on her face and stated that things had changed The day before !
Now they no longer serve all you can eat crab. She said that they were $15.95 for the first pound and $15.00 for every pound there after . I told her we had made reservations the night before and were not told of the change after specifically asking about the crab. She said that the menu had not been changed and that they were not telling people about the change because they were afraid people would not come ! She also said that the crab was very expensive because that China was buying all the crab. Well at least she didnt blame it on the Russians ! We politely thanked her and got up and left . We were very disappointed in the actions taken by the restaurant. We have been eating at Kaity's for several years when it was at the truckstop and after moving into the cellar in downtown Monroe . Now we will be in search of a new seafood restaurant .

Management response:Responded 17 May 2017

Thank you for supporting us over the years. It is a little disappointing that after years of providing you with good customer service and food that you obviously enjoyed since you returned several times, that you gave us a 1-star rating because we can no longer afford to lose money on all you can eat crab legs. While I understand the timing was inconvenient to your reservation, things really did change overnight in regards to the crab legs on our menu. We had our financial analysis earlier in the week and realized just how much money we had been losing on AYCE Crab Legs and we simply could not afford to let it happen anymore. The new menu's were printed Friday afternoon and our Staff was informed at that time as well. We still offer unlimited crab legs, but they are by the pound, and our prices are still $8 lower than Joe's Crab Shack. Crab Legs cost us over $9/lb now whereas in previous years they were only $6.50/lb. Considering that we were charging $31.99 for AYCE Crab Legs and on average a person would consume 4-6lbs, we were practically paying people to come eat crab legs. While most of our customers seemed to understand this basic business decision, we regret that you were so disappointed that you will not return after all these years. And your Server was correct, China has bought much of the crab leg harvest. Our vendor said it was approximately 70% of the harvest in fact. But you can blame the Russians too, because as of Monday, they have vowed to crackdown on illegal crab catching in the Barents Sea, which is sure to increase prices overall on crab legs even further. If you have any suggestions on how can we make a profit by offering AYCE Crab Legs for a price below our cost, we are all ears. Good luck finding that new seafood restaurant!

Been to Kaity's Downtown? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK