“Odd neighborhood”

Holiday Inn Express Marietta-Atlanta Northwest
Ranked #5 of 34 Hotels in Marietta
Reviewed 30 March 2012

Holiday Inn Express is a pretty consistent brand, but this property is at the lower end of the continuum. Consequently, I am frankly surprised at the recent high reviews -- I wondered if they were staying at the same property.

Reservations were accurate and check in was without problems. The room was clean, but dated and conditions were overall a little tired. They haven't reached shabby yet, but for example, the shower curtain was torn, the toilet ran unless you jiggled the handle, and the A/C at times sounded as though it was taking off.

When we checked in one floor lamp had its shade perched precariously -- turns out the yoke was broken and maintenance had tried (unsuccessfully) to glue it back on, rather than purchasing a new yoke for a few dollars at the nearby Home Depot. Another lamp at the bed was flickering on and off -- even when turned off, suggesting some sort of short. When I turned it on (bad mistake), the florescent lamp shattered. It was cleaned up the next day, but really -- electrical problems?

The hotel has multiple card entry points -- even getting to the elevator requires a room card. While I applaud security I wondered why so much. Then I noticed the variety of young women populating the street on which the hotel fronts. Now it becomes a little clearer.

The "business center" consists of I believe one computer. So you can get on-line if you failed to bring a laptop. There are, however, no extras. I don't recall if there was a printer.

It wasn't that the experience was awful, but it really isn't up to Holiday Inn Express standards, or at least my room wasn't. There are several other name brands nearby, I'd probably look at them if I needed to stay in this area again . . . unless the budget was really tight, and then realize the limitations.

Room Tip: Try to get the backside where road noise will be reduced.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Marietta-Atlanta Northwest, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2012

Dear MikeT100,

I am most disappointed and concerned to read your comments. I would greatly appreciate further information regarding your stay in order that I can investigate further.

We have sent you a private message to obtain additional details about your experience.

Thanks,
Brenda J.
IHGCare

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 11 January 2012

My wife and I have stayed here a few times and have always had a great experience. The front desk staff is always more than helpful. The breakfast buffet is always fresh, will continue to stay here when we visit Marietta.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 December 2011

We are holiday inn express fans and love to stay with this brand . As expected we had a great
experience at this hotel . The front desk staff was very helpful , As being a priority club member we were offered an upgrade to an executive room , the breakfast was very fresh looking,
our all over experience at this hotel was excellent and will remand to our friend and family to choose this hotel when ever they will be in this area
Great stay

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 November 2011

I was checked into a Jacuzzi suite. I was not interested in using the Jacuzzi, which is a good thing since the faucets were not even functional on it. While taking a shower, the management called and told me the jacuzzi was leaking and to turn off the water. I turned off the shower and went downstairs to see if I needed to switch rooms.

After being accused of running water over the jacuzzi that did not work and having to argue with the manager, I finally received a different room. He kept asking if the carpet was wet, even after I explained to him that the jacuzzi did not even work and no water ran over in the room. Apparently they have a water leak problem and he just assumed somebody was filling the jacuzzi tub and walked away from it.

When I went to shower in the morning, the hot water in the shower did not work! I complained to the desk clerk, but all he did was make a note of it to pass to somebody else.

Even though I paid for a more expensive suite and was downgraded to a lower priced room, the hotel made no concessions on my invoice.

I stay at Holiday Inn hotels most weeks and this is one that I will avoid!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 October 2011

I just checked in and so far am not a fan of this hotel. Some Holiday Inn Express hotels are a home run (Limrick, PA) and some should be razed (Simpsonville, SC). This isn't at the bottom of the list but has lots of room for improvement.

The first room I was given was under repair and the work wasn't complete. The bathroom counter was strewn with tools and parts to fix whatever the plumbing problem was. The non smoking room also smelled of smoke.

The young man at the front desk was apologetic and went with me to make sure the next room he picked for me was in good repair. The bed was unmade, no sheets at all, and the trashcan was overflowing. Strike two and back down to the lobby we went.

We tried a third room, two floors higher up and the trash can was empty, the bathroom appeared to be in working order (I just checked and all plumbing works). The AC was set to 72 and the room was stuffy so I turned it down to 68 degrees and nothing happened. I cranked it down to 61 degrees before the unit turned on and started cooling the room. So far the wifi is working and the sheets do appear clean. The room has a very heavy citrus scent to it as if so liberally applied to block some other odor and I have to wonder about that given the state of rooms one and two.

The gentleman at the front desk was very polite and very accommodating but I have to give this particular HIE a rating of "poor" because I do not believe two problem rooms in a row indicate something of average rating. Average means that there was nothing special nor anything out of the ordinary about the hotel.

Room Tip: Having read other reviews it looks like the upper floors are the way to go.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business