“BEWARE OF THIS PLACE!!!!”

Econo Lodge Cumberland
Ranked #13 of 21 Hotels in Kingsland
Florida
“BEWARE OF THIS PLACE!!!!”
Reviewed 9 April 2009

We checked in at 10PM and the desk clerk had to open the door to the room because the handle was "loose". When I walked in, I immediately noticed a moldy smell. I told the desk clerk that I couldn't stay in that room due to asthma. He DID NOT offer another room and REFUSED to return my money. He told me that the rooms were just inspected and that there was no mold or mildew. He basically called me a liar and said that I had signed a contract and that there was nothing I could do about it. What I signed was the paper saying that I would be responsible for any damage I cause while staying in the room; not a contract that I have to stay in the room! I gave him back the key and went to a different hotel for the night. I returned to the Econo-Lodge the next day to speak to the owner, who did not want to refund my money. He said that the desk clerk had offered me another room; which he didn't.! I finally got the owner to agree to credit the amount back to my card, because I told him that I would challenge the charge with my card company. You can bet that I am going to check my statement; as I don't trust them. Customer service is non-existent at this place! If I was extremely tired and this was the only place available, I would rather spend the night in my car beside the road. The question: Would I recommend this "place" (I have a hard time calling it a hotel) to a friend? I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy!!!! BEWARE OF THIS PLACE!!!!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Peterborough, Ontario
Reviewed 21 January 2009

Chose this place out of a coupon book we picked up at the Georgia welcome center. No problem accepting the coupon, even though we had an extra person. Only charged $3 extra instead of the regular rate of $5. Owner was VERY friendly, and because my husband walked with a cane, would have given us a ground floor room if we wanted...even though the coupon said "second floor."

Place was an older motel, and the beds were not very comfortable. It was easy to get to, but because it is on a divided highway, you had to make right, and then a U-turn to get back to the interstate...and the restaurants. We did find a laneway that led to the back of the gas station next door, then out to the road, which made it much easier!!

Breakfast was just cereal, toast, donuts, juice and coffee, served in a very small area.

• Liked — Very friendly
  • Disliked — Beds uncomfortable
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Greenville, SC
Reviewed 27 December 2007

We decided to stay here because it was cheap. I read reviews and felt comfortable that it would be a good place to stop for just one night. We were traveling back from Florida and didn't arrive until about 10pm and we checked out the following morning.

First, let me start with the positives: 1.) location was perfect. It was right over the Georgia border and very easy to locate at night. 2.) The check-in process was easy enough but I was told that I had paid too much money because I booked through Travelocity - paid $60 when he said that if I had called hotel directly, I would have paid $49. Not sure if that is true or not but honestly, even if I had only paid $49 I still don't think I would have felt like I got my money's worth.

Now with the negatives: 1.) This place was dirty. Dirty is really not the correct word for this place - FILTHY is more like it. The curtains had holes and as the morning sun came through the holes, you just couldn't help but wonder what little creature had made its lunch out of those gross curtains. 2.) The bathroom was nasty - the floor and the shower had "growth". 3.) The walls are paper-thin. We could hear the party going on outside as well as the neighbors slamming the doors. 4.) We lost power when we ran two hairdryers, a light, and the television all at the same time! And of course, no one answered the phone at the front desk and I had to get dressed and run down and personally ask for someone to get the power turned back on. I must say though that the young man at the front desk did get it taken care of within 5 minutes so that was very much appreciated.

Overall, I was just really disappointed. I did not have too high of expectations of the Econolodge but I did expect to find a place clean enough for my two kids to get a nice night's sleep on our way home from Florida and this is absolutely not what I found.

• Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
Norcross, GA
Reviewed 28 March 2007

Price was excellent.
Staff was very very friendly
Room was comfortable and clean and QUIET
Free continental breakfast was pretty skimpy
I would definitely stay again.

Stayed March 2007
Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed 20 January 2007

We used this hotel as a quick pitstop on our way to Florida. Since we were arriving late and leaving early so we were just looking for a cheap clean hotel and this is what we got.

The room was clean, the bed were ok, overall it did the job.

If you don't want to spend too much this is the best deal in the area.

I recommend this hotel.

• Liked — Good value for the price.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled with family